History Bath Buns

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
_of_tea%2C_Bath%2C_United_Kingdom_%289605677635%29.jpg
Culture... a bath bun and a pot of tea, Bath, United Kingdom (9605677635)
Richard Allaway from France [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Bath buns are a sweet yeast based roll originally developed in Bath, England, a town famous for his architecture, healing Roman style baths and Jane Austen, whom lived there and used the town in two of her novels. These tasty milk-yeast rolls typically contain a lump of sugar in the middle and are sprinkled with crushed sugar on the top. Often currants, raisins and sultanas are added to the batter before baking.

The buns began appearing in 1763 and are thought to be a variation of a brioche style roll that contained caraway seeds and a sugary center. The current incarnation with dried fruit and sugar sprinkling on top is often credited to 18th century physician William Oliver, who would treat rheumatic patients visiting the baths in town and supposedly plied them with sweet buns he coined Bath Buns, which he claims he invented. The patients enjoyed them so much, they stayed on longer just to eat them. Oliver then in turn invented the Bath Oliver, which was a biscuit similar to a modern day water cracker for his patients who complained about packing on the pounds after enjoying too many Bath buns. Food historians do discredit the bun’s origins as they believe it was just a creative offshoot of buttery sweet yeast breads that were popular in France in the era and in turn were combined with local, popular ingredients to probably create the buns. Irregardless of its origins you can still pick-up a bun in Bath today and in many other bakeries throughout England.

As for a recipe, I had difficulty finding one using standard US measurements as all the various food sites and foodie blogs that listed a recipe were from the UK. I've included a link to a popular recipe online below. Note that caster sugar is just super fine granulated sugar, it's not powdered sugar though! You can find it online or at a local baking supply store for purchase. You could also toss your standard sugar into a food processor to make it more fine and that would work, too.

Ingredients -

Batter -​
  • 150 g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon superfine sugar ( caster sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons dried yeast ( or 1/2 oz fresh yeast)
  • 150 ml milk, hand hot ( 110-125F)
  • 150 ml water, hand hot ( 110-125F)
Dough -

• 300 g plain flour
    • 50 g butter, diced
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 75 g superfine sugar ( caster sugar)
    • 175 g sultanas ( or raisins)
    • 50 g cut mixed peel

• Egg Glaze -
    • 1 egg
    • 1 teaspoon superfine sugar ( caster sugar)
    • 1 tablespoon water
    • 40 g lumps of sugar or 40 g sugar cubes, crushed coarsely

Directions - http://www.food.com/recipe/bath-buns-83829

Last edited by a moderator:
They look tasty. Just the thing with a cup of tea.

It is often served at afternoon tea in the UK. While I've done a lot of baking, I'm just starting to do more yeast based breads, but you do have to find the time because of the proofing time required with yeast. I'm hoping to try this recipe soon.

Back