1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

"Baseball... been berra berra good... to me."

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Glorybound, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

http://www.hark.com/clips/swrfqmtsbv-chico (sound clip from Saturday Night Live's Garrett Morris as the fictional baseball legend Chico Escuela. Chico is paid mega-bucks to speak at sports gatherings and the above quote is the only English he knows.)

This thread will be about baseball - schedules, teams, analyses of plays, statistics, who you root for - who you don't, scores, standings, rankings, designated hitters, player salaries, ball parks, who's performing well - who isn't, general observations, predictions...basically anything pertinent to baseball that you want to post.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Glorybound

My second post on this thread is this: What happened to the Yankees/Red Sox game that was supposed to be broadcast at 8p eastern? Maybe a rain-out, I dunno.

4. rpkennedy

rpkennedy 1st Lieutenant

Yeah, the Yanks/Sox game was PPD.

R

5. deleson1

deleson1 Sergeant

My Tigers just had a bad weekend with Texas. Probably would of lost today anyway, but the winning run for texas was scored on a bunt attempt that clearly hit the batter in the knee and bounced into fair territory. Bad call. ONly game we won was when Justin Verlander pitched. The best pitcher in the game in my humble opinion. Tigers will be okay when their bats wake up.

Nathanb1 likes this.
  6. Glorybound

I watched most of that game, missed that particular play though. It looked cold in Dee-troit today. I have to admit I'm a Rangers fan, after the Cards. I thought Josh Hamilton had a good day up there in MI, when that lazy throw back to the Detroit pitcher went over his head. Hamilton was paying attention...he stole third.

7. deleson1

deleson1 Sergeant

Lee you must of been snoozing during the game,,,,,,,,,,,,lol. Runner on first, wild pitch, detroit catcher thought he could still throw out the runner and threw it to center field allowing runner to go to third. Then Hamilton came up to bat and hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game. The foul ball bunt that allowed the go ahead run was in the 11th.

8. Glorybound

Dan, that's exactly what I was doin' :smile:. Fell asleep. I missed some good baseball action.

9. Glorybound

Instead of the game the ESPN anchors are talking about Fenway Park. It had it's 100th anniversary on Friday I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. The school I attended in Boston was within rock throwing distance of The Fens, where the park is located. In the fall when the windows were open we could hear the crowd noise coming from the park, we could hear the organ music and when the Sox got a hit. Some guys had little radios with them with earpieces stuck in one ear so they could listen to the game and the teacher both.

10. jpeter

jpeter 1st Lieutenant Retired Moderator

Bobby Valentine will be lucky to last through the year.

Verlander is still very good.

Yankees pitching ain't what it used to be.

The Phillies still have great pitching, but I still don't know if they can play in the World Series. Everything else about them looks pedestrian.

The Angels. Who saw this coming?

If the Rangers have a weak spot, it might be their closer. If he can keep up, then they don't have a weakness.

It's still early.

11. carson_reb

carson_reb Sergeant Major

Thanks for this thread, GB. I've grown to love the game of baseball more than football. My numero uno team has been, is and will be the California Angels...otherwise known today as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Since I was a little tike, I've called them the California Angels. Got my first game cap (a trucker cap) from my aunt and uncle who took me to my first MLB game between the Angels and Orioles when I was about 10 years old. I ate fresh, hot roasted peanuts and watched my hero, Reggie Jackson, play; although he struck out or was walked in all of his at-bats. There was also another veteran, Rod Carew, in the game, and a young infielder on the Baltimore squad named Cal Ripken, Jr. The O's beat my beloved Angels, but I didn't care. I was there, I got to see them, and I got to see Reggie play. I was just a kid anyway. Being at the game was more important than who won.

I still root primarily for the Angels. I also have a soft spot for the Red Sox in the AL, and the Cubbies and Rockies in the NL.

I just cannot summon enthusiasm for the A's, Braves, Cards or Mets. Yankees, believe it or not, I don't mind so much; except when they play the teams I root for.

I enjoy the mono y mono between pitcher and batter. There's a lot of psychology and strategy going on there.

Glorybound likes this.
  12. carson_reb

A lot of people bought into the Pujols hype when he signed in the off season. But I know that LA's problems are much deeper than productive bats. Getting one slugger and all-star first baseman wasn't going to turn the Angels' fortunes around. Their pitching rotation is okay, but inconsistent, and their relief pitching has let them down more times than I care to count. There is also a little thing called consistency, either in the field or at the plate, that the Angels just haven't been lately. I think they are a better defensive team, in terms of their fielders, than they are on offense. When you combine inconsistent offense with unreliable pitching, then a 6-10 record to begin the season isn't all that far-fetched.

But, it is still early, and I'd rather the Angels struggle early than late. If they are going to make a run of any kind, I'd prefer it be in August and September, sort of the way the Cards did it last season. We shall see. I'm a terrible prognosticator. Last spring, I forecast the Phillies to be the team to beat, but they got up-ended early in the playoffs. Beware of the dark horse: The Cards last year, the Giants the year before that... the teams that limp into the playoffs can be scary.

13. carson_reb

Anybody have an opinion on the Marlins' new look, and moniker? Miami Marlins. Just doesn't have the same ring to it as the Florida Marlins did. I liked the old color scheme of black and teal, and the old logo was cool. The new look sort of resembles the uniform at a fast-food chain. (Sorry...but it looks a little tacky to me.)
    Hello, welcome to Marlins Park, may I take your order please?
    Can anybody tell the difference between the players and the food vendors?

LOL. Regardless, I wish the franchise well with the new makeover and state-of-the-art new stadium. The ownership is taking a mighty big gamble. I hope it pays off for them, because if it doesn't and the new Marlins bomb out, the owners could be laughed or run out of South Beach.

14. deleson1

deleson1 Sergeant

I still like baseball but it is getting harder to watch as the years go by. Excessive delays by batters and pitchers between every pitch takes the flow out of the game. Putting in 3 or 4 relief pitchers in every game, gotta have the right/left hand matchups, just doesnt get it with me. Should be a rule, if you put a pitcher in he must pitch one inning unless hurt. Games would be much more enjoyable to watch if they were speeded up.

20thncarolina likes this.
  15. Glorybound

New Miami Marlins Logo, Uniforms Officially Unveiled

[​IMG]
    Pitbull

By Jeff Sullivan - Editor
    After months of guesses and speculation, the Miami Marlins officially unveiled their new logo and uniforms in a private ceremony.

Nov 11, 2011 - Friday night, during a private ceremony broadcast to the world over the internet, the Florida Marlins officially became the Miami Marlins. But then, we all saw the name change coming miles and miles away, and what we were most interested in was the big reveal of the Marlins' new logo and uniforms. There had been alleged leaks, and there had been speculation - so much speculation - but only during the ceremony would we finally find out what the new Marlins would look like for sure.

More: Jose Reyes Officially Introduced | Marlins Pursuing Albert Pujols
    Everything was shrouded in secrecy as those of us watching on the internet waited for the ceremony to begin.

[​IMG]

At last, it began, and after a short speech, Jeffrey Loria unveiled the Marlins' new logo:

[​IMG]

Just like the leaks. I can't tell if this logo isn't actually that bad, or if I've just gotten used to it since I've been seeing it for almost two months. Loria described the Marlins' new look as "unique, sleek and different," and said that the team would be wearing the "colors of Miami". Sunsets and beaches and everything.

After the logo, it was time for the players to model the new uniforms. Here's an overall look, from the Marlins' Twitter account:

[​IMG]

And now to break it all down bit by bit, we go to the Marlins' official team store.
    Home hat
    [​IMG]
    Road hat? (not shown in team picture)
    [​IMG]
    BP hat
    [​IMG]
    Home jersey
    [​IMG]
    Road jersey
    [​IMG]
    Alternate jersey 1
    [​IMG]
    Alternate jersey 2
    [​IMG]
    BP jersey
    [​IMG]

Look - I know we've all been prepared for the Marlins to look like absolute ****. It's maybe because of that preparation that I think these look all right. In the image posted above, even the orange alternate looks sharp and perfectly wearable. I'm not wild about the idea of, say, pairing it with the orange hat, but I'll worry about that if and when I actually see it. (I won't actually worry.) (So don't worry.)

The jerseys are colorful, and different, and different in a way that I like. When the Padres revealed their updated jerseys the other day, there was some criticism that they went too bland, and look too much like the Brewers. The Marlins won't really look like anybody else, and I don't mean that as a criticism. The Marlins definitely have their own look.

Oh, by the way, before I forget, some of the backs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dig the teal shadow on the alternate. I have never claimed to have fantastic taste in anything, but I'm okay with what I'm okay with. I'm okay with this.

You, of course, are free to disagree with my assessments, because our opinions are our opinions and when it comes to something like a team's logo and uniforms, I don't think there's any right or wrong. If I like this stuff, and you hate this stuff, I am right and you are right. That's the way this works. There are going to be tons of people who blast the Marlins from here to Bangkok for what they've done to themselves. Some of those people are just going to be upset because something changed, but many of those people are going to express opinions that are perfectly legitimate.

But at least it's all done now. It's all official. No more projections, no more guesswork. We know what the Miami Marlins are going to look like. It's time to get used to it.
    And maybe buy a t-shirt!

Read More: Miami Marlins
    Follow @sbnbaseball on Twitter, and Like Baseball Nation on Facebook.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/11/2555894/new-miami-marlins-logo-uniforms-jerseys-florida

16. Glorybound

Marlins logos - a comparison

Florida Marlins Primary Logos
    Click on one of the Florida Marlins logos below to view a larger version as well as additional information
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2011
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres

Florida Marlins Alternate Logos
    Click on one of the Florida Marlins logos below to view a larger version as well as additional information
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2004
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2011
    [​IMG]

2003 - 2011
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres

Florida Marlins Wordmark Logos
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2002
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2002
    [​IMG]
    1993 - 2002
    [​IMG]
    1994 - 2002
    [​IMG]
    1994 - 2002
    [​IMG]
    2003 - 2011
    [​IMG]
    2003 - 2011
    [​IMG]
    2010 - 2011
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres
    [​IMG]
    2012 - Pres

17. deleson1

deleson1 Sergeant

The shirts are ok, not great, but passable. I had much better looking jerseys on my softball teams, lol. I dont like the more modern look of players who do not wear stirrups anymore. Looked much more professional with the shorter pants and high stirrup socks, imho

18. Glorybound

Yeah I like the traditional stirrups, prefer the stirrups, hope they make a comeback someday. I can't count how many times I've seen guys slide into second, then spend five minutes getting the mud and dirt off the bottom of their pants. Bring back the stirrups!

[​IMG]

http://omgreds.com/category/2012-wallpapers/

19. The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke First Sergeant

Three records which I believe will never be broken:

Connie Mack's 3,731 managerial wins.
    Ty Cobb's career batting average of 367.
    Sam "Wahoo" Crawford's 309 career triples.

I don't think DiMaggio's 56 game streak will ever be broken for the simple reason that if anyone gets close the media will hype it up to such an extent that the pressure will be unbearable.

rbasin likes this.
  20. Rob9641

Rob9641 Captain Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I used to live outside the right field of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore - went to games whether I wanted to our not, because they came to me. I was a fan then, but moved west 30 years ago and lost interest. Didn't even watch the World Series last year (my father used to call it "the World Seriousness.")

Speaking of rainouts, the best rain delays were back when Rick Dempsey was catching for the Orioles - while everybody sat around looking at the wet tarp covering the field, he'd take his shoes off, stuff his shirt to look fat, and run out there and play Babe Ruth, pointing his home run, pretending to hit it, running the bases splashing as much as he could and then bellyflopping into a slide at home plate and making water fly everywhere. People loved it. Got to the point everywhere he went, if there was a rain delay the crowd wanted Dempsey to do his act. Then he went on to win MVP of the 1983 World Series. Had a fun year.

rbasin, kholland and Glorybound like this.
  21. Glorybound

Great story, thanks for posting that.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)