Bamarebl's Civil War Ancestry

bamarebl

Private
Well folks, I just finished cataloging my CW ancestors. I did not go into cousins at all, even though I found several. I stayed on grandfathers or grand-uncles. Before diving into Ancestry.com's free two week trial period, I only knew of 5 GGG Grandfathers and 2 GGG Grand-Uncles. At the end of my trial period, I now have located all (as far as I can tell) of my ancestors from that time period. I have a couple that I did not list because, even though I have a possible record of their service, they do not match up with the county or even the area that they lived in during the 1860 Census. So I may have a couple more that did not make the "list" just because I cannot verify that the person and the record are the same. If I find more to substantiate them, I'll add them down the line. Here is a synopsis of what I have found. (For reference, I am 45 years old)

Twelve (12) Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers (3G GF) (That is out of a possible 16 3G GF's that everyone has.)
Four (4) Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers (4G GF) (Out of a possible 32 4G GF's that everyone has.)
Forty-four (44) Great-Great-Great-Grand-Uncles (3G GU)
Fourteen (14) Great-Great-Great-Great-Grand-Uncles (4G GU)
Total of 75 GF or GU

I'll go into more detail with them as this thread develops, but I'll just give a few snippets that I have found so far:

One 3G GF escaped from Elmira Prison Camp by tunneling.

One 3G GF who fought for the CS had three brothers who also fought in the ACW. Two fought for the Union, and one fought for the CS... then Galvanized and fought for the Union. One of these brothers is buried in the Memphis National Cemetery.

One 3G GF that fought for the Union had an uncle that fought for the South.

Eight ancestors from the same family fought for the South. Six of these in the same unit (Holcombe Legion of South Carolina).

Ten ancestors were either killed in action or died from disease. Seven more were wounded in action. Four were captured.

One 4G GU deserted his Georgia regiment, only to turn up in an Alabama regiment a year later.

One 4G GU joined his sons' regiment to find out their whereabouts and after doing so, promptly deserted.

Ranks are as follows: 1 Major, 2 Captains, 1 First Lieutenant, 2 First Sergeants, 3 Sergeants, 2 Corporals, 62 Privates (one counted twice as a Confederate and a Yankee) and one Fifer!

Seven fought for the Union in units from Alabama (2), Arkansas (2), Missouri (2) and Indiana (1).
Sixty-Eight fought for the Confederacy in units from Alabama (27), Arkansas (1), Georgia (26), Louisiana (1), North Carolina (1), South Carolina (9), Tennessee (2) and Texas (1).

Here are the units represented in my family tree:

Alabama CSA: 4th (Russell's) Cav Reg't; 5th Cav Reg't; 12th Cav Reg't; 13th Cav Batt'n (Partisan Rangers)
9th Inf Reg't; 16th Inf Reg't, 27th Inf Reg't; 28th Inf Reg't; 47th Inf Reg't; 49th (31st) Inf Reg't; Walthall's Inf Batt'n (local defense for Talladega Camp of Instruction)
Ward's Arty Batt'y

Arkansas CSA: 3rd Inf Reg't

Georgia CSA: 2nd Cav Reg't
7th Inf Reg't; 13th Inf Reg't; 16th Inf Reg't; 18th Inf Reg't; 19th Inf Reg't; 21st Inf Reg't; 23rd Inf Reg't; 35th Inf Reg't; 41st Inf Reg't; 53rd Inf Reg't; 56th Inf Reg't; 60th Inf Reg't; 64th Inf Reg't; 66th Inf Reg't; Cobb's Legion
12th Arty Batt'n

Louisiana CSA: 12th Inf Reg't

North Carolina CSA: 49th Inf Reg't

South Carolina CSA: Holcombe Legion Cavalry Batt'n
2nd Inf Batt'n (State Guards); 4th Inf Reg't; 5th Inf Reg't

Tennessee CSA: 1st Inf Reg't; 27th Inf Reg't

Texas CSA: 3rd Cav Reg't (South Kansas - Texas Mounted Volunteers)

Alabama USA: 1st Cav Reg't, USV

Arkansas USA: 2nd Inf Reg't; 1st Arty Batt'y

Indiana USA: 54th Inf Reg't

Missouri USA: 42nd Inf Reg't

I will have more details as I dig into each ancestor's personal story. I hope this becomes an interesting thread for the members. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to speak up.

Tim Newman
bamarebl

Last edited:
I guess as my first entry, I'll tell you what I have learned so far about one of the most interesting stories I have found in my family tree. I just found out about this relative in the last two weeks. As I said in my original post, before these last two weeks, I only knew of five 3G GFs and 2 3G GUs that were ACW veterans. (I actually miscounted. I knew of 7 and 2.) This one is one of my new discoveries.

Judson Puryear Scruggs (GGG GF) was a Sergeant with Company K, Cavalry Battalion, Holcombe Legion of South Carolina. He was born March 21st, 1833 in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He has been featured in at least two books - "Tramping with the Legion: A Carolina Rebel's Story" by C. Eugene Scruggs and "The Elmira Prison Camp: A History of the Military Prison at Elmira, N.Y" by Clayton Wood Holmes. He was one of the ten escapees during the "Famous Escape" from Elmira Prison Camp on October 7th, 1864.

The unit history from the National Park Service Soldier and Sailors Database says:

Holcombe Legion was organized during the fall of 1861 with a cavalry and infantry battalion. The four-company cavalry battalion served for a time with the legion, was assigned to the Department of Richmond, and eventually became part of the 7th South Carolina Cavalry Regiment. The infantry battalion was formed with eight companies, later increased to ten. During the war it was attached to Evans', Elliot's, and Wallace's Brigade. After serving in South Carolina it moved to Virginia and fought at Second Manassas, South Mountain, and Sharpsburg. The unit was then sent to North Carolina and later Mississippi. It was active at Jackson, moved to Charleston, and in the spring of 1864 returned to Virginia. Here it participated in the long Petersburg siege north and south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign. This command lost 24 killed and 131 wounded at Second Manassas, had 18 wounded during the Maryland Campaign, and in September, 1863, totaled 276 men. It surrendered 2 officers and 30 men. The field officers were Colonels William J. Crawley, Stephen Elliot, Jr., W. Pinkney Shingler, and P.F. Stevens; Lieutenant Colonels F.G. Palmer and Thomas V. Walsh; and Majors A.C. Garlington and Martin G. Zeigler.
J.P. had five brothers in the Cavalry Battalion of the Legion.

Charles Smith Wilkins Scruggs – 1SG Company A, Holcombe Legion (South Carolina) Cavalry Battalion, CSA GGG Grand-Uncle
H Chesterfield Scruggs – PVT Company A, Holcombe Legion (South Carolina) Cavalry Battalion, CSA GGG Grand-Uncle
Christopher Columbus Scruggs – CPT Company A and K, Holcombe Legion (South Carolina) Cavalry Battalion, CSA GGG Grand-Uncle
Winfield Wise Scruggs – PVT Company A, Holcombe Legion (South Carolina) Cavalry Battalion, CSA GGG Grand-Uncle
Barlow ORaisen Scruggs – PVT Company K, Holcombe Legion (South Carolina) Cavalry Battalion, CSA GGG Grand-Uncle

Judson died February 19th, 1906 in Camden, Arkansas. I intend to read more about this part of the family and this fascinating aspect of this particular individual.

Tim Newman
bamarebl

Last edited:
Yesterday, I discovered four more GGG Grand-Uncles that fought for the South in my family tree. I also discovered that I had listed one other in a unit that he was not in. In fact, his record actually shows he was mustered out as medically unfit at the Talladega Camp of Instruction due to Anasarka (edema). I made changes in the original post to reflect the corrected record. This brings the total of Grandfathers or Grand-Uncles up to 75.

I also found two other possible relatives that were in a unit with known ancestors. But I cannot find their names in the family tree. I did not list them because I am ONLY listing known grandfathers or grand-uncles and do not want to list cousins. I just do not have enough time in my life to track down hundreds of cousins who were there. It takes enough of my time just studying these 75 individuals.

I hope to have another spotlight story on an ancestor soon.

Tim Newman
bamarebl

Good luck! Having started a similar project over 6yrs ago, I wish you the best of luck in your search. When I began my search, I didn't limit it the way you have but my name is very uncommon so I thought I would find less than 10. Man, was I wrong. Today I have gathered info on over 140 men. It has been extremely fascinating and rewarding, not to mention addicting! One of my guys, was also at Elmira but wasn't so fortunate to have escaped. He is buried there. Again, good luck & I look forward to reading more on your guys.

Well, on Monday November 4th, 2013, I and my wife and baby visited Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro, TN. I was hoping to find the location where a few of my ancestors fought. What I discovered was that of the three regiments that held significance to me, only one made it onto property that eventually became the National Park site. As the baby was screaming her head off pretty much the entire time, we did not make it to the spot on the battlefield where we wanted to go. (It is accessible by bike or foot only.)

Company E, 12th Alabama Cavalry (fighting as part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry) was with Wheeler on the Confederate right and left northward on a raid of the Union Supply line. This would have been my GGG Grandfathers Corporal Samuel Dancy Drinkard and Private Hezekiah Frost and GGG Grand-Uncles Privates Thompson Rex Drinkard and John T. Drinkard.

Company B of the 16th Alabama was with Wood's Brigade in Cleburne's Division of Hardee's Corps. They fought from the Franklin Road all the way up to the Wilkinson Pike. Their brigade was pulled out to rest and refit, and did not reengage during the rest of the battle on December 31st. This would have been my GGG Grand-Uncle Francis Marion Patrick (who would later galvanize to the Union side in October of 1863).

Companies B and C of the 28th Alabama fought with Manigault's Brigade, Withers' Division of Polk's Corp. They attacked in the area of the Wilkinson Pike and pushed ahead into what is now park property. My ancestors in this unit at the time of the battle were my GGG Grand-Uncle Private Curtis Beason Hopper, who was captured here at Stones River. Also, my GGG Grand-Uncles Private Thomas Hall Hopper and my GGGG Grand-Uncle Private William Jordan.

My next entry will tell of our trip on Wednesday, November 6th to Chickamauga National Battlefield. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Here is my post about our trip to Chickamauga National Battlefield. The first stop, of course, was at the Visitor's Center. The young ranger at the counter was extremely helpful in helping me locate the appropriate markers, tablets and monuments. He was very patient with me and actually seemed to enjoy helping me find the unit positions for the ten ancestors that were involved in the battle. The volunteer at the desk was also very helpful and knowledgeable.

With printouts in hand, we headed out into the field. Our first stop was pretty close by. Just off of the Lafayette Road onto Alexander Bridge Road. It was here that I found the markers for the 46th Georgia Infantry, in Colquitt's Brigade, Gist's Division of Walker's Corps. My GGG Grand-Uncle Private George Washington Ford was with Company H of the 46th Ga. He was probably wounded at Chickamauga, since his service record shows he went on a 60-day sick furlough two days after the battle.

Next, we looked for the markers for the 47th Alabama. They belonged to Law's (Sheffield's) Brigade, Longstreet 's Division of Hood's Brigade. I found one of them along the Lafayette Road near the Saw Mill Fork Road. The other marker was supposed to be just 200 feet off of the Lafayette Road on saw Mill Fork Road (this road is now just a walking/horse trail), but I could never locate it. I found the one for McNair's Brigade which would have been alongside Sheffield, but I had wandered the woods long enough. There was another marker 1/4 mile south of the Brotherton Road, but I wasn't up to the task. The ancestor in Company F of the 47th Alabama was my GGG Grand-Uncle, Private Jacob Jackson Cleveland.

I found several for the 28th Alabama, Manigault's Brigade, Hindman's Division, Polk's Corps. I found out that the 28th is highly featured in the NPS film about the battle, even though we didn't stay to watch it this time. The 28th at the end of the 2nd day assaulted up Snodgrass Hill. We walked up the southwest slope, just as my ancestor would have done. It was very steep. I sure would not have wanted to assault that hill in wool uniform carrying a musket and all the other assorted battle accoutrements. Not to mention fire raining down on you. Even though I had four ancestors that fought in the 28th, only one was present for this battle. One was captured at Stone's River (referenced in the previous post about our visit there), one did not join the regiment until December of 1863. One is listed as deserted in August 1863 (but as most folks know, one listed as a deserter could have been wounded, missing or otherwise unable to get back to the unit). The one that was present for Chickamauga is Private Thomas Hall Hopper of Company C, 28th Ala, and my GGG Grand-Uncle.

The rest of these ancestors belonged to Wheeler's Cavalry Corps. They were at Lee and Gordon's Mill and sweeping northward, captured over 1,000 men, wagons, stands of arms and five hospitals.

My ancestors include:
Company E, 12th Alabama Cavalry (fighting as part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry) Morgan's Brigade, Martin's Division
GGG GF Corporal Samuel Dancy Drinkard
GGG GF Private Hezekiah Frost
GGG GU Private Thompson Rex Drinkard
GGG GU Private John T Drinkard

Company I, 4th Alabama (Russell's) Cavalry Russell's Brigade, Martin's Division
GGG GU Private James Harvey Moon
Missing the battle due to being captured at Shelbyville, TN on June 27th, 1863 was GGG GU Private James Marion Hopper from Company B, 4th Ala Cav.

2nd Georgia Cavalry, Crews' Brigade, Wharton's Division
Company D, GGG GU Private William P. Yates
Company I, GGG GU Sergeant Elijah Yates

I hope that people are enjoying my walk through the civil war and my family tree. I am enjoying the journey.

bamarebl
Tim Newman 46th Georgia Infantry.jpg Gist Sept 20 noon.jpg Laws Sept 20 700am.jpg Manigault Sep 20 1130am.jpg Riding the Boomer.jpg 2nd Georgia Cavalry.jpg

Well folks, I just finished cataloging my CW ancestors. I did not go into cousins at all, even though I found several. I stayed on grandfathers or grand-uncles. Before diving into Ancestry.com's free two week trial period, I only knew of 5 GGG Grandfathers and 2 GGG Grand-Uncles. At the end of my trial period, I now have located all (as far as I can tell) of my ancestors from that time period. I have a couple that I did not list because, even though I have a possible record of their service, they do not match up with the county or even the area that they lived in during the 1860 Census. So I may have a couple more that did not make the "list" just because I cannot verify that the person and the record are the same. If I find more to substantiate them, I'll add them down the line. Here is a synopsis of what I have found. (For reference, I am 45 years old)

Twelve (12) Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers (3G GF) (That is out of a possible 16 3G GF's that everyone has.)
Four (4) Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers (4G GF) (Out of a possible 32 4G GF's that everyone has.)
Forty-four (44) Great-Great-Great-Grand-Uncles (3G GU)
Fourteen (14) Great-Great-Great-Great-Grand-Uncles (4G GU)
Total of 75 GF or GU

I'll go into more detail with them as this thread develops, but I'll just give a few snippets that I have found so far:

One 3G GF escaped from Elmira Prison Camp by tunneling.

One 3G GF who fought for the CS had three brothers who also fought in the ACW. Two fought for the Union, and one fought for the CS... then Galvanized and fought for the Union. One of these brothers is buried in the Memphis National Cemetery.

One 3G GF that fought for the Union had an uncle that fought for the South.

Eight ancestors from the same family fought for the South. Six of these in the same unit (Holcombe Legion of South Carolina).

Ten ancestors were either killed in action or died from disease. Seven more were wounded in action. Four were captured.

One 4G GU deserted his Georgia regiment, only to turn up in an Alabama regiment a year later.

One 4G GU joined his sons' regiment to find out their whereabouts and after doing so, promptly deserted.

Ranks are as follows: 1 Major, 2 Captains, 1 First Lieutenant, 2 First Sergeants, 3 Sergeants, 2 Corporals, 62 Privates (one counted twice as a Confederate and a Yankee) and one Fifer!

Seven fought for the Union in units from Alabama (2), Arkansas (2), Missouri (2) and Indiana (1).
Sixty-Eight fought for the Confederacy in units from Alabama (27), Arkansas (1), Georgia (26), Louisiana (1), North Carolina (1), South Carolina (9), Tennessee (2) and Texas (1).

Here are the units represented in my family tree:

Alabama CSA: 4th (Russell's) Cav Reg't; 5th Cav Reg't; 12th Cav Reg't; 13th Cav Batt'n (Partisan Rangers)
9th Inf Reg't; 16th Inf Reg't, 27th Inf Reg't; 28th Inf Reg't; 47th Inf Reg't; 49th (31st) Inf Reg't; Walthall's Inf Batt'n (local defense for Talladega Camp of Instruction)
Ward's Arty Batt'y

Arkansas CSA: 3rd Inf Reg't

Georgia CSA: 2nd Cav Reg't
7th Inf Reg't; 13th Inf Reg't; 16th Inf Reg't; 18th Inf Reg't; 19th Inf Reg't; 21st Inf Reg't; 23rd Inf Reg't; 35th Inf Reg't; 41st Inf Reg't; 53rd Inf Reg't; 56th Inf Reg't; 60th Inf Reg't; 64th Inf Reg't; 66th Inf Reg't; Cobb's Legion
12th Arty Batt'n

Louisiana CSA: 12th Inf Reg't

North Carolina CSA: 49th Inf Reg't

South Carolina CSA: Holcombe Legion Cavalry Batt'n
2nd Inf Batt'n (State Guards); 4th Inf Reg't; 5th Inf Reg't

Tennessee CSA: 1st Inf Reg't; 27th Inf Reg't

Texas CSA: 3rd Cav Reg't (South Kansas - Texas Mounted Volunteers)

Alabama USA: 1st Cav Reg't, USV

Arkansas USA: 2nd Inf Reg't; 1st Arty Batt'y

Indiana USA: 54th Inf Reg't

Missouri USA: 42nd Inf Reg't

I will have more details as I dig into each ancestor's personal story. I hope this becomes an interesting thread for the members. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to speak up.

Tim Newman
bamarebl

Awesome awesome awesome!!

Check out my link below and then on the master list and you will see that we have much in common. Especially the 16th and 18th Georgia.

It is incredible to me how all of us have hundreds of veterans if our families were in the US at that time. Family size averages plus the exponential rate in terms of how many granddads and uncles we have can be mind blowing.

I urge you to gather all your info together in a Word file for quick reference.

Thanks everyone. I should mention that I have found Some more Yankees in the attic, and one more Confederate. Five more GGG Grand-Uncles and a GGGGG Grand-Uncle. The yanks are from New York, Indiana, Ohio and the reb is another Alabamian. This brings my total up to Eighty (80), since I removed a couple of errors.

Thanks everyone. I should mention that I have found Some more Yankees in the attic, and one more Confederate. Five more GGG Grand-Uncles and a GGGGG Grand-Uncle. The yanks are from New York, Indiana, Ohio and the reb is another Alabamian. This brings my total up to Eighty (80), since I removed a couple of errors.

Awesome job researching your kin. Keep up the good work...and keep posting your stories about your ancestors, your trips, etc.

Here is my post about our trip to Chickamauga National Battlefield. The first stop, of course, was at the Visitor's Center. The young ranger at the counter was extremely helpful in helping me locate the appropriate markers, tablets and monuments. He was very patient with me and actually seemed to enjoy helping me find the unit positions for the ten ancestors that were involved in the battle. The volunteer at the desk was also very helpful and knowledgeable.

With printouts in hand, we headed out into the field. Our first stop was pretty close by. Just off of the Lafayette Road onto Alexander Bridge Road. It was here that I found the markers for the 46th Georgia Infantry, in Colquitt's Brigade, Gist's Division of Walker's Corps. My GGG Grand-Uncle Private George Washington Ford was with Company H of the 46th Ga. He was probably wounded at Chickamauga, since his service record shows he went on a 60-day sick furlough two days after the battle.

Next, we looked for the markers for the 47th Alabama. They belonged to Law's (Sheffield's) Brigade, Longstreet 's Division of Hood's Brigade. I found one of them along the Lafayette Road near the Saw Mill Fork Road. The other marker was supposed to be just 200 feet off of the Lafayette Road on saw Mill Fork Road (this road is now just a walking/horse trail), but I could never locate it. I found the one for McNair's Brigade which would have been alongside Sheffield, but I had wandered the woods long enough. There was another marker 1/4 mile south of the Brotherton Road, but I wasn't up to the task. The ancestor in Company F of the 47th Alabama was my GGG Grand-Uncle, Private Jacob Jackson Cleveland.

I found several for the 28th Alabama, Manigault's Brigade, Hindman's Division, Polk's Corps. I found out that the 28th is highly featured in the NPS film about the battle, even though we didn't stay to watch it this time. The 28th at the end of the 2nd day assaulted up Snodgrass Hill. We walked up the southwest slope, just as my ancestor would have done. It was very steep. I sure would not have wanted to assault that hill in wool uniform carrying a musket and all the other assorted battle accoutrements. Not to mention fire raining down on you. Even though I had four ancestors that fought in the 28th, only one was present for this battle. One was captured at Stone's River (referenced in the previous post about our visit there), one did not join the regiment until December of 1863. One is listed as deserted in August 1863 (but as most folks know, one listed as a deserter could have been wounded, missing or otherwise unable to get back to the unit). The one that was present for Chickamauga is Private Thomas Hall Hopper of Company C, 28th Ala, and my GGG Grand-Uncle.

The rest of these ancestors belonged to Wheeler's Cavalry Corps. They were at Lee and Gordon's Mill and sweeping northward, captured over 1,000 men, wagons, stands of arms and five hospitals.

My ancestors include:
Company E, 12th Alabama Cavalry (fighting as part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry) Morgan's Brigade, Martin's Division
GGG GF Corporal Samuel Dancy Drinkard
GGG GF Private Hezekiah Frost
GGG GU Private Thompson Rex Drinkard
GGG GU Private John T Drinkard

Company I, 4th Alabama (Russell's) Cavalry Russell's Brigade, Martin's Division
GGG GU Private James Harvey Moon
Missing the battle due to being captured at Shelbyville, TN on June 27th, 1863 was GGG GU Private James Marion Hopper from Company B, 4th Ala Cav.

2nd Georgia Cavalry, Crews' Brigade, Wharton's Division
Company D, GGG GU Private William P. Yates
Company I, GGG GU Sergeant Elijah Yates

I hope that people are enjoying my walk through the civil war and my family tree. I am enjoying the journey.

bamarebl
Tim Newman View attachment 23591 View attachment 23592 View attachment 23593 View attachment 23594 View attachment 23595 View attachment 23596

Awesome pictures from Chickamauga. My avatar pic is myself and my daughter on Snodgrass Hill back in April. Ironically I took a picture like you have their with my daughter sitting on top of a cannon. What kills me is that I had a list of relatives I had put together before I went to Chickamauga but I didn't research it enough to know that I had 5 relatives that were at the battle before I went. The trip kinda happened fast so I didn't have time to get all my facts together. Now that I know I had relatives there I want to go back so badly so I can go to those places on the battle field. Keep up the good work on the family Civil War history!

Awesome awesome awesome!!

Check out my link below and then on the master list and you will see that we have much in common. Especially the 16th and 18th Georgia.

It is incredible to me how all of us have hundreds of veterans if our families were in the US at that time. Family size averages plus the exponential rate in terms of how many granddads and uncles we have can be mind blowing.

I urge you to gather all your info together in a Word file for quick reference.

I spent all day today connecting some dots and just finished the process. This is my announcement to you, Chattahooch33. Brigadier General William Tatum Wofford is my THIRD COUSIN 5x REMOVED!!! My 7th Great Grandfather Absalom Wofford was his 2nd great grandfather. I realize that 3rd C 5X removed is pretty distant, but it is still interesting to know you are related to a General Officer from the Civil War and that he led T.R.R. Cobb's Brigade after his death at Fredericksburg.

I guess that makes us kin as well, huh? :unsure:

Haven't been on in awhile, but I found out some fun stuff over the last couple of days I thought I would share. Yesterday, I found out that through my mother's side of the family, I have a common ancestor with Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson. According to Ancestry, his Great-Great grandfather was my 8th Great Grandfather making us 3rd Cousins 5X Removed. Documents linking me to William the Conqueror make him my 33rd Great Grandfather.

Also, another grandfather of mine, 7th Great Grandfather John Hart was a delegate from New Jersey and signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Well, it has been ages since I have posted anything here. I really let my research fall off. I have since moved from Alabama to Scottsbluff, Nebraska. I am now the Emergency Management Director for Region 22 (Scotts Bluff and Banner Counties). I'm an hour from Fort Laramie, WY and almost two hours from Fort Robinson, NE, where Crazy Horse was killed. I've taken a keen interest in The Oregon Trail and the Great Migration.

However, I'm still doing my Ancestry dot com stuff every now and then. I was trying to flesh out my wife's side of the family and some of that dead ends into The Netherlands about three generations back. But I found an astounding find tracing her father's father's side. Her Great Great Grandfather Sergeant Louis Pfeiff (spelled Lewis Phife on his headstone and military records) won the Congressional Medal of Honor for Bravery in scouts and actions against the Apache in Arizona in August to October 1868. He was with Company B, 8th US Cavalry.

Lewis Phife.jpg

Well, on Monday November 4th, 2013, I and my wife and baby visited Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro, TN. I was hoping to find the location where a few of my ancestors fought. What I discovered was that of the three regiments that held significance to me, only one made it onto property that eventually became the National Park site. As the baby was screaming her head off pretty much the entire time, we did not make it to the spot on the battlefield where we wanted to go. (It is accessible by bike or foot only.)

Company E, 12th Alabama Cavalry (fighting as part of the 1st Alabama Cavalry) was with Wheeler on the Confederate right and left northward on a raid of the Union Supply line. This would have been my GGG Grandfathers Corporal Samuel Dancy Drinkard and Private Hezekiah Frost and GGG Grand-Uncles Privates Thompson Rex Drinkard and John T. Drinkard.

Company B of the 16th Alabama was with Wood's Brigade in Cleburne's Division of Hardee's Corps. They fought from the Franklin Road all the way up to the Wilkinson Pike. Their brigade was pulled out to rest and refit, and did not reengage during the rest of the battle on December 31st. This would have been my GGG Grand-Uncle Francis Marion Patrick (who would later galvanize to the Union side in October of 1863).

Companies B and C of the 28th Alabama fought with Manigault's Brigade, Withers' Division of Polk's Corp. They attacked in the area of the Wilkinson Pike and pushed ahead into what is now park property. My ancestors in this unit at the time of the battle were my GGG Grand-Uncle Private Curtis Beason Hopper, who was captured here at Stones River. Also, my GGG Grand-Uncles Private Thomas Hall Hopper and my GGGG Grand-Uncle Private William Jordan.

My next entry will tell of our trip on Wednesday, November 6th to Chickamauga National Battlefield. It was awesome.
Samuel Dancy Drinkard is my GGGG GF. Its cool to see this here i am so intriqued by him.

Back