Bamarebel

B

Brandon Talley

I would like to talk to you. My mother is a Dinkard. Inez Drinkard. Samuel D. Drinkard is my GGGGF. I am just interested in all you know about him.

Edited out the telephone number. If you want to give folks your telephone number, do so by private message.

Posted as a Moderator
CMWinkler

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings and welcome from Atlanta.

A Samuel D. Drinkard served as a corporal in the 12th Alabama Cavalry. Below is a brief history of that regiment from the Soldiers and Sailors site:

12th Regiment, Alabama Cavalry
OVERVIEW:
12th Cavalry Regiment was assembled during the summer of 1864. It was formed by adding four companies to the seven of Hundley's 12th (1st) Battalion Partisan Rangers. Its members were from the counties of Etowah, Jackson, Saint Clair, Marshall, Jefferson, De Kalb, and Cherokee. The 12th Battalion had served in East Tennessee and fought atMurfreesboro and Chickamauga. Assigned to W.W. Allen's and Hagan's Brigade, the 12th Regiment saw action in the AtlantaCampaign, the defense of Savannah, and the campaign of the Carolinas. With about 125 men it disbanded the night before the Army of Tennessee surrendered, April 25, 1865. The battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel William H. Hundley and Major Albert G. Bennett. Colonel Warren S. Resaca, Lieutenant Colonel Marcellus Pointer, and Major Augustus J. Ingram commanded the regiment.

Last edited:
Welcome from the Volunteer State.
One of our Grandfathers served in the 12th Ala. Cav.. Orvil J. Bearden.
You'll also want to contact TerryB on this site who is descended from Lt Col Marcellus Pointer of the 12th.

Hi Brandon. Sorry it has taken me so long to come in here. Had a problem getting my password reset. I ran Inez through Ancestry dot com to find out where we meet. I didn't come up with Samuel D Drinkard in your line. Maybe I have the wrong Inez. Can you tell me what you have as a lineage from yourself to Samuel D Drinkard? Where do you live? I live in Eva, AL and Samuel D. Drinkard is buried at Lawrence Cove Cemetery in Eva (Oden Ridge) Alabama. I hope you are related as it is so interesting to know about these brave men.

Samuel Dancy Drinkard – CPL Company E, 12th Alabama Cavalry, CSA GGG GF – Enlisted August 21, 1862. On muster roll for June 30, 1864 absent sick at home since June 1, 1864

Here is his grave markers and a picture of he and his wife Dorcas. sd.jpg sd2.jpg sd3.jpg

Back