Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Daniel Morse Holt Asst Surg 121st NY.JPG

Daniel Morse Holt, Asst Surgeon, 121st New York

A few days ago, I posted an excerpt from an interesting letter dated May 15, 1863 detailing Holt's capture after Chancellorsville here http://civilwartalk.com/threads/aid-and-comfort-to-the-opposition.120666/page-4#post-1262691

At the time I copied and posted the letter, I was moved by Holt's candid assessment of the situation and his desire to provide care for his charges. It takes a really big man to hold no ill will toward his enemies and I admired Holt's strong character. Evidently, @War Horse felt the same.

Seems like this was not an isolated example of Holt's character. Read on for Holt on the aftermath of the Battle of Crampton's Gap in this letter dated Sept 16, 1862:

“….then knapsacks, canteens, cartrage [sic] boxes, and accoutrements of all kinds strewed the ground. Shortly a rebel with his brains blown out, arms extended, and eyes protruding from their sockets – still on, others in all manner of positions -- some not yet dead but gasping the few remaining breaths away in utter unconsciousness of surrounding circumstances – others mortally wounded calling for water, knowing that eternity was separated only by a hair’s breadth with thoughts of the far distant home in the South on their minds and the loved ones at home clustering around his dying – pillow—did I say, ah no! mother earth to which he soon will be consigned his only pillow now. Let his ears be jarred no more by booming cannon and rattling small arms, but let the heavenly choir as he is about to enter the portals of the tomb, enchant his departing spirit. No more let vengeance follow our misguided brother now he is going where loyal men and Rebels one are alike before a just and loving God. Surely this is no time to think of aught but mercy. Let not my passionate temper lead me to unfeeling hardship toward a fallen foe.”

Daniel Morse Holt was born @1820 in Herkimer County NY. He received his medical training in Cincinnati OH (Class of 1853). He married and settled in Newport, NY where he practiced as a physician, including serving as the doctor for the Herkimer County Poor House. In August 1862, at the age of 42, Holt was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the newly formed 121st New York. He was the oldest member of the staff. He was captured on May 4, 1863 in the Union retreat to Scotts Ford. Holt received permission to care for Union soldiers at the Salem Church.
(See previous post here http://civilwartalk.com/threads/aid-and-comfort-to-the-opposition.120666/page-4#post-1262691 )
Holt served until Oct 17, 1864 when ill health forced him to resign. He returned home and died Oct 15, 1868 at the age of 47/8. Holt is buried in Newport NY.

Last edited:
View attachment 90372

A few days ago, I posted an excerpt from an interesting letter dated May 15, 1863 detailing Holt's capture after Chancellorsville here http://civilwartalk.com/threads/aid-and-comfort-to-the-opposition.120666/page-4#post-1262691

At the time I copied and posted the letter, I was moved by Holt's candid assessment of the situation and his desire to provide care for his charges. It takes a really big man to hold no ill will toward his enemies and I admired Holt's strong character. Evidently, @War Horse felt the same.

Seems like this was not an isolated example of Holt's character. Read on for Holt on the aftermath of the Battle of Crampton's Gap in this letter dated Sept 16, 1862:

“….then knapsacks, canteens, cartrage [sic] boxes, and accoutrements of all kinds strewed the ground. Shortly a rebel with his brains blown out, arms extended, and eyes protruding from their sockets – still on, others in all manner of positions -- some not yet dead but gasping the few remaining breaths away in utter unconsciousness of surrounding circumstances – others mortally wounded calling for water, knowing that eternity was separated only by a hair’s breadth with thoughts of the far distant home in the South on their minds and the loved ones at home clustering around his dying – pillow—did I say, ah no! mother earth to which he soon will be consigned his only pillow now. Let his ears be jarred no more by booming cannon and rattling small arms, but let the heavenly choir as he is about to enter the portals of the tomb, enchant his departing spirit. No more let vengeance follow our misguided brother now he is going where loyal men and Rebels one are alike before a just and loving God. Surely this is no time to think of aught but mercy. Let not my passionate temper lead me to unfeeling hardship toward a fallen foe.”

Daniel Morse Holt was born @1820 in Herkimer County NY. He received his medical training in Cincinnati OH (Class of 1853). He married and settled in Newport, NY where he practiced as a physician, including serving as the doctor for the Herkimer County Poor House. In August 1862, at the age of 42, Holt was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the newly formed 121st New York. He was the oldest member of the staff. He was captured on May 4, 1863 in the Union retreat to Scotts Ford. Holt received permission to care for Union soldiers at the Salem Church.
(See previous post here http://civilwartalk.com/threads/aid-and-comfort-to-the-opposition.120666/page-4#post-1262691 )
Holt served until Oct 17, 1864 when ill health forced him to resign. He returned home and died Oct 15, 1868 at the age of 47/8. Holt is buried in Newport NY.
That letter says so much more than we can imagine. "Why do men fight who were born to be brothers."

View attachment 90372

Thanks for this L Elliot!! Yes, gosh- once in a very great while you'll read of medical staff not treating wounded equally, in these conditions you just see what you posted. Have a ' thing ' about these men, the surgeons who were the single bandaid either army thought it necessary to provide as medical care. It was awful to say the least. Well, you just posted one-one thousandths of what they faced as an example. Too few, no real supplies, not much help and frequently forced to leave wounded on the field because snipers would pick off those who would wish to aid the them. Worked round the clock. This description you posted is incredible. ' They ' just expected the surgeons and later the nurses to ' poof ' deal with that somehow.

Clara's first time at the front, Antietam ( where she just hauled off and went ) she describes these men- working around the clock, pitiful supplies, wounded laying where they fell, filthy conditions. I don't know if you saw the part about surgeons trying to make bandages from corn husks?

SO weird. Post-Bull Run it had been so incredibly awful for the surgeons you'd have thought things would improve. I read where, if it had been thought of at all here was this vague notion wounded would help each other from the field. These men were so overwhelmed all they could do was keep working- the wounded just, plain died, that's all. It's an appalling aspect of the war not frequently discussed, no idea why.

I know this is an older thread, but I think Holt's description of the field hospital he worked after Antietam is one of the most graphic, best descriptions of the aftermath of battle I have ever read:

"I have seen, stretched along, in one straight line, ready for internment, at least a thousand blackened, bloated corpses with blood and gas protruding from every orifice, and maggots holding high carnival over their heads. Such sights, such smells, as such repulsive feelings as overcome one, are with difficulty described. Then add the scores upon scores of dead horses -- sometimes whole batteries lying along side, still adding to commingling mass of corruption and you have a faint idea of what you see, and can always see after a sanguinary battle. Every house, for miles around, is a hospital and I have seen arms, legs, feet and hands lying in piles rotting in the blazing heat of a southern sky unburied and uncared for, and still the knife went readily in its work adding to the putrid mess."

Back