Asbury/Asberry Banks Bryant of the 50th Alabama

A. Bryant, Co. I, Fourth Alabama (Russell's) Cavalry

Page 1.jpg Page 2.jpg

Fold3 does not have any A or B listings for the 50th Alabama Infantry, sorry.

Last edited:
Asbury Bryant

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 4/1/1862 as a Private.

On 4/1/1862 he mustered into "A" Co. AL 50th Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)
(Estimated date of enlistment)

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

- Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

A Bryant

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 11/1/1862 as a Private.

On 11/1/1862 he mustered into "I" Co. AL 4th Cavalry
(date and method of discharge not given)
(Estimated date of enlistment)

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

- Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records
- Research by James A. Dunning
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

Fold3 does not have any A or B listings for the 50th Alabama Infantry, sorry.

Andy meant that Fold3 did not have sub-Folders for surnames starting with "A" or "B".

Well, Andy----there is a Folder labeled: Forty-ninth & Fifieth Infantry and contains sub-folders "A", "B", "C", "W", "Y".

There were two Bryant names.

Alfred Bryant (age 22) -- 14 cards on file.
Captain Sappington's Company, Calhoun Beauregards,
Company A, 26 AL Regiment
Enrolled at Hunstville, Sept 23, 1861
Jointed at Middleton

Died at Tupelo, Miss July 1, 1862

Asbury Bryant (age 22) --- 8 cards on file.
Hand-written documents and forms, same date of death ---seem to be same person.

There is an Albert Bryant that says see Alfred Bryant's files.

Now I wonder if there is more records filed under 26 Regiment? This company has a complicated history of forming into the 50 Infantry which split into two Battalions and one must have become the 26 Regiment. Something like that.

Checked 26 (O'Neals) AL Infantry and found four BRYAN and five BRYANT's. None has first name with "A".

Is there another 26th AL?? I don't see one on Fold3.

Here are a few of the records.

First--- Alfred Bryant
He had several cards on file but most were blank. Just a date of the roll.
Note the different Unit ID. I hope the thumbnail works. I reduced the image to 70% and tried to make it more clear.
Card 4 and 14
BryantAlfred_Pg04.jpg BryantAlfred_Pg14.jpg

Now--- Asbury Bryant
I will post the full image with minor editing.
BryantAsburyPg06.jpg

BryantAsburyPg07.jpg

BryantAsburyPg08.jpg

I do a lot of reading and studying of the men who were in the 26th Alabama and I just checked my records and I have never found anything on him. I am very curious about him now also since he appears to have been in the 26th Alabama.

Checked 26 (O'Neals) AL Infantry and found four BRYAN and five BRYANT's. None has first name with "A".

Is there another 26th AL?? I don't see one on Fold3.
I do a lot of reading and studying of the men who were in the 26th Alabama and I just checked my records and I have never found anything on him. I am very curious about him now also since he appears to have been in the 26th Alabama.
The 26th Alabama was organized at Tuscumbia AL on December 3, 1861, under the command of Colonel William R. Smith. By the time the regiment arrived in Virginia for the Peninsula campaign Smith had resigned and the regiment was commanded by Colonel Edward Asbury O'Neal. On April 3, 1862, the 2nd and 5th Alabama Infantry Battalions were combined into a regiment under the command on Colonel J. G. Coltart at Corinth MS. The new regiment was also given the designation of the 26th Alabama. Sometime in early 1863 the folks down in Montgomery realized they had two 26th Alabamas. Coltart's regiment was renumbered as the 50th. In written accounts it would frequently be referred to as the 26-50th Alabama to avoid confusion with O'Neal's regiment.
http://ehistory.osu.edu/uscw/features/regimental/alabama/confederate/gardner.cfm

Here are a few of the records.

First--- Alfred Bryant
He had several cards on file but most were blank. Just a date of the roll.
Note the different Unit ID. I hope the thumbnail works. I reduced the image to 70% and tried to make it more clear.
Card 4 and 14
View attachment 45173 View attachment 45174

Now--- Asbury Bryant
I will post the full image with minor editing.
View attachment 45175

View attachment 45176

View attachment 45177
Thank you Dixie Rifles. I am passing this on

The 26th Alabama was organized at Tuscumbia AL on December 3, 1861, under the command of Colonel William R. Smith. By the time the regiment arrived in Virginia for the Peninsula campaign Smith had resigned and the regiment was commanded by Colonel Edward Asbury O'Neal. On April 3, 1862, the 2nd and 5th Alabama Infantry Battalions were combined into a regiment under the command on Colonel J. G. Coltart at Corinth MS. The new regiment was also given the designation of the 26th Alabama. Sometime in early 1863 the folks down in Montgomery realized they had two 26th Alabamas. Coltart's regiment was renumbered as the 50th. In written accounts it would frequently be referred to as the 26-50th Alabama to avoid confusion with O'Neal's regiment.
http://ehistory.osu.edu/uscw/features/regimental/alabama/confederate/gardner.cfm

Great. Thanks for explaining that.
The note at bottom of the NARA card that I posted said that his company was originally with the 2nd Battalion of AL Vols. Then it was formed into the 26 Alabama in April 1862. I didn't read/understand all of that at first.

Alfred Bryant, Co. A, 26-50th Alabama Infantry was my GGF; he survived the war, and moved to Union County, MS. Alberry, his twin, died of disease, in Tupelo, a few weeks after the Battle of Shiloh. Alberry's wife was Elizabeth M. M. Spruill. Mentioned above, Tyrull (Terrell) was his father, and Seaborn his uncle. There is much confusion regarding Alfred and Alberry, based on spelling (A., Alford, Albert, Asbury, etc.). Alfred's MS CW census states he surrendered in NC late April '65, and says was was in the 19th AL Inf before the 26-50th, but records don't support that. As far as I know, the two of them served only in this unit. A brother Dan is said to have been a member of 26-50, but there is no record of him there. Hope this helps.

Back