Arkansas Civilians Deaths

Her children on the next page.
Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 9.53.27 AM.png

John North of Farmington, Connecticut and his descendants, with a short account of other early North families
by
North, Dexter, 1890-
Published 1921
https://archive.org/stream/johnnorthoffarmi00nort#page/n601/mode/2up/search/Amelia+Benton+North

More on following pages.
View attachment 122093
The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878
by
Phoenix, Stephen Whitney, 1839-1881
Published 1878
https://archive.org/stream/whitneyfamilyofc22phoe#page/n21/mode/2up/search/Benton
Thank you!
More on following pages.
View attachment 122093
The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878
by
Phoenix, Stephen Whitney, 1839-1881
Published 1878
https://archive.org/stream/whitneyfamilyofc22phoe#page/n21/mode/2up/search/Benton
thank you
Howdy and welcome from western Montana!!!
Very similarly, I am researching a man who left home (Illinois) in March 1865. It is documented that he then disappeared after writing home from DeVall's Bluff, AR on 3 April 1865. He was a carpenter by trade and had not enlisted as far as I can tell. (His son, named after him, did enlist & researchers seem to mix them up). It is believed by family he was in AR doing contract work for the Union, although I cannot find any documentation of that with the quartermaster documentation of other contract workers. (Maybe someone here can). He was expected to return to Illinois in September 1865, but he never showed and was never heard from after the 3 April letter. His last name was Roe/ Rowe. First name Silas. He was about 55 years old. Obviously, he was healthy and strong enough to make the trip at the outset.
Rumors abound regarding what happened to him. They've all been disproven to date. (If you google this, you'll see the rumors. I've chased them down.) Initially, I thought that because he was in a Union-held area, he would've been relatively safe. However, I'm learning that may be error. I am looking for information about what travel or personal safety was like around the DeVall's Bluff for a single traveler who was a Union sympathizer during the time of the War's end. I think it is likely that he ran into some type of trouble (or illness).
Do you have any names of books or histories or resources that would help me learn more about what the risk to a single traveler/lodger/worker would've been at that time?
Alternatively, do you know of anything else that could explain his disappearance?
Thanks!
G
Very similarly, I am researching a man who left home (Illinois) in March 1865. It is documented that he then disappeared after writing home from DeVall's Bluff, AR on 3 April 1865. He was a carpenter by trade and had not enlisted as far as I can tell. (His son, named after him, did enlist & researchers seem to mix them up). It is believed by family he was in AR doing contract work for the Union, although I cannot find any documentation of that with the quartermaster documentation of other contract workers. (Maybe someone here can). He was expected to return to Illinois in September 1865, but he never showed and was never heard from after the 3 April letter. His last name was Roe/ Rowe. First name Silas. He was about 55 years old. Obviously, he was healthy and strong enough to make the trip at the outset.
Rumors abound regarding what happened to him. They've all been disproven to date. (If you google this, you'll see the rumors. I've chased them down.) Initially, I thought that because he was in a Union-held area, he would've been relatively safe. However, I'm learning that may be error. I am looking for information about what travel or personal safety was like around the DeVall's Bluff for a single traveler who was a Union sympathizer during the time of the War's end. I think it is likely that he ran into some type of trouble (or illness).
Do you have any names of books or histories or resources that would help me learn more about what the risk to a single traveler/lodger/worker would've been at that time?
Alternatively, do you know of anything else that could explain his disappearance?
Thanks!
i have no clue but they might have drowned crossing a river. You never know. I have an E G Rowe in our family from TN.

Wow. Allie! Crazy good researching- it's the kind of thing ( well, preaching to the choir, please excuse, nothing worse then telling this stuff to someone who knew it at age 3 ) which tends to bring a lot of comfort to relatives, being able to at least visit graves. Goodness.

Does anyone know if Arkansas was part of the wildness transpiring in other states, Kansas, etc., where civilians just had a raucous time of it? It would explain a lot, knowing this poor couple had come from that chaos.

It indeed was.

Southern Arkansas was crowded with pro-Confederate refugees from Little Rock and Fort Smith (both fell in the fall of 1863) who fled when Holmes and Price had to abandon the Arkansas River Valley. The more affluent attempted to get to Texas. However, most of people in southern Arkansas were scratch farmers who could barely support themselves, let alone the forage to sustain the armies that marched and fought in the Camden Expedition. It was one of the reasons Steele had to abandon his campaign, as Confederate cavalry raided his supply trains and forage alone couldn't sustain his army.

Back