Impressions aot knapsack

jr baker

Private
What would have been a common knapsack for a soldier of the army of tennessee? I looking to join with a infantry regiment out of memphis, the 154th tn infantry. What would have been a correct knapsack? I been looking at the Mexican war knapsack and couple others, just wanting to get a better idea, thanks.

A lot of us in my battalion and company use wood-frame militia "hardpacks, " which are appropriate, but likely would not have held up during the rough summer of daily marching and fighting of '64 during the Atlanta campaign.

As a reenactor, I've used one for years and prefer it over any of the no-frame options, but am aware I need to treat it a little less carelessly than one can handle any softpack. Gotta think before you drop it on the ground as you shrug out of it, and when you plop down on it as a pillow or cushion during breaks on the march.

That said, I still prefer a knapsack over a shoulder roll, which heats up my torso more than does a knapsack on my back.

Circular No. 383 April 22, 1864, Gorgas transmitted the following request to his Ordnance officers in the field:
"Please advise as to the propriety of dispensing with knapsacks, and substituting a light oil cloth six feet by three feet-so arranged as to be convertible into a shelter tent"

"I am in favor of oilcloth instead of knapsacks." J.T. Holtzclaw, Col. 18th Alabama.
"I am in favor of oilcloth instead of knapsacks." A.R. Lanford, Col. 38th alabama.
"I am in favor of oilcloth instead of knapsacks." S.D. Oliver, Capt, Commadg. 32nd Alabama.
"I think the proposed change is advisable and should by all means be applied". H.D. Clayton, Brig. Gen.

Gorgas recalled that "In time, knapsacks were little thought of by the troops"...Ordnance Bureau Circular No. 42 dated May 24, 1864, Gorgas announced the following for the knapsacks: "The manufacture of of knapsacks will be discontinued, only those cut up will be made up. existing contracts for knapsacks will be changed to to furnishing enameled cloth or something else to save the contractor from loss. Instructions will shortly be issued as to a substitute for the knapsack.

From:Entrepot: Government Imports into the Confederate States by C.L. Webster - pages 264-265

Kevin Dally

Last edited:
With a replaced knee, and 6 other knee operations along with that, I have difficulty wearing a knapsack. A Blanket roll centers weight on my body, making long walks in full gear much easier for me.

Kevin Dally

Back