Any info on this buckle would be appreciated :)

I got a hit that makes sense, especially when you look at the link I'll attach. It appears to be a "John Paul Jones Flag", circa 1779, also called the Serapis Flag. It works out right with the four stars on top and bottom and five across the middle. It also had different color stripes. What era the buckle is from we don't know, but the flag is a definate match.

US flag timeline:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagfact.html

I got a hit that makes sense, especially when you look at the link I'll attach. It appears to be a "John Paul Jones Flag", circa 1779, also called the Serapis Flag. It works out right with the four stars on top and bottom and five across the middle. It also had different color stripes. What era the buckle is from we don't know, but the flag is a definate match.

US flag timeline:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagfact.html
Sure does look like it.

I was able to get some info from John Sexton about our buckle. I thought I would share what we learned with everyone. :smile:

"Your buckle is indeed most likely pre-Civil War or early war as you were told. Sash buckles were popular in antebellum America and Europe. Similar buckles are often seen in photographs worn by men and weapon in various designs and toe of attachments. Most have soldered or riveted loop and eye attachment such as yours though other examples are tongue and wreath. The manufacture of these buckles seem to date circa 1840-1890 based on excavated examples and when seen in vintage photography. These buckles are typically of light manufacture not being needed to support a lot of weight. There are decorative types with many designs including advertising, Greco-Roman motifs, Rococo, Floral, and patriotic designs like yours. The placement of a patriotic device inside a wreath is typically seen in Civil War era military or patriotic insignia. We can date yours based of the design of the stars in the canton of the flag. 13 star flags have been used on US naval vessels by regulation from the mid 19th century. The 4-5-4 arrangement of stars was regulation after the Mexican War in the 1850s up till 1862 when regulations changed to make the canton display 13 stars arranged in a horizontal arrangement of 3-2-3-2-3. So we know this buckle with 4-5-4 dates in about mid 1850s to 1862 most likely. Sash buckles have limited value on the Civil War market other than solid gold patriotic ones made from California gold during the Civil War, these solid gold examples are found priced in the market for $1000 or more. Nice excavated examples of numerous designs can be found priced around $100-300 at trade shows and some are unique survivors like yours......js"

John Sexton
CivilWarDealer.com

It's not a magnolia. (I have one growing next to the garage.) Looks more like a fruit blossom of some kind. (Is dogwood one of those quasi-fruit trees like flowering crab?)

Definitely not Dogwood as its blossom has four petals. The Dogwood tree has to be my favorite native flowering tree and the sure sign of Spring in southern forests. It grows in masses as an understory tree on well drained land and puts on a magnificent show, particularly when combined with native Redbuds blooming at the same time. Cultivated white and pink varieties in gardens also bloom at the same time as azaleas, making a beautiful combination.

Looks more like a wild rose to me.

Hey Mike, didnt know you were on here!! Leann and Waylon, I dont know if I would fly on what John Sexton said about the piece. Though he may be right, And he's a very knowledgeable fella, Everyone knows about the 13 stars and 13 stripes. Yes they were used in a variety of different ways up to the late 1800's. But this specific flag matches the Serapis to the tee.The big question is, how many points are on the stars? A true Serapis flag will have 8 points on the stars. I would definetley keep researching your relic until you come up with a good I.D. Personally, I believe your buckle to be from around the late 1700's. Here's a pretty cool story on the Battle of Flamborough Head. Which is where the 44 gun ship Serapis was taken by John Paul Jones fgor those who dont mind a little reading. The ship was so shot up, cannonballs would fly right through it without touching it. A great buckle, keep us posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flamborough_Head

Here's another on the flag...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis_flag

Definitely not Dogwood as its blossom has four petals. The Dogwood tree has to be my favorite native flowering tree and the sure sign of Spring in southern forests. It grows in masses as an understory tree on well drained land and puts on a magnificent show, particularly when combined with native Redbuds blooming at the same time. Cultivated white and pink varieties in gardens also bloom at the same time as azaleas, making a beautiful combination.

Looks more like a wild rose to me.

Different varieties, different # of petals? The one I posted is a bronzed blossom from Duke Gardens.....

I still have to say Sutlers item, but thats just me. I feel the guy is correct about the value on the market. If it was mine , it would NOT be for sale and therefore,priceless in my heart. It is a Stellar recovery that you made there and congrats to you!

Hey Mike, didnt know you were on here!! Leann and Waylon, I dont know if I would fly on what John Sexton said about the piece. Though he may be right, And he's a very knowledgeable fella, Everyone knows about the 13 stars and 13 stripes. Yes they were used in a variety of different ways up to the late 1800's. But this specific flag matches the Serapis to the tee.The big question is, how many points are on the stars? A true Serapis flag will have 8 points on the stars. I would definetley keep researching your relic until you come up with a good I.D. Personally, I believe your buckle to be from around the late 1700's. Here's a pretty cool story on the Battle of Flamborough Head. Which is where the 44 gun ship Serapis was taken by John Paul Jones fgor those who dont mind a little reading. The ship was so shot up, cannonballs would fly right through it without touching it. A great buckle, keep us posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flamborough_Head

Here's another on the flag...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis_flag

Yep Brian, that's the one I was talking about.

Back