Antietam's Bloody Lane - 3 Views

Phiip McBride

Corporal
Here are three looks at the famous bloody lane at Antietam. Well, one's a reenactment, Maryland My Maryland in 2012,, but was so real feeling and looking it was scary. You'll see. The last one is me on vacation when the lane was disturbingly quiet and peaceful and green. I use these three images one after another in high school presentations about Civil War soldiers.
Original Bloody Lane.jpg
MMM Bloody Lane.jpg
Solitude On Bloody Lane.jpg

Here are three looks at the famous bloody lane at Antietam. Well, one's a reenactment, Maryland My Maryland in 2012,, but was so real feeling and looking it was scary. You'll see. The last one is me on vacation when the lane was disturbingly quiet and peaceful and green. I use these three images one after another in high school presentations about Civil War soldiers.View attachment 116593 View attachment 116594 View attachment 116595
The first picture is actually the Hagerstown Pike and not Bloody Lane/Sunken Road, here near the Dunker Church, Starke's Louisiana Brigade took heavy fire, as evidenced by the numerous confederates still lying on the field. The union burial parties had already interred the northern men, by the time the photographers got to this area of the field.

Gee, Sergeant Package4. Thanks for the correction. My bad.

Actually, did my error in location spoil or negate the point of my three photos for you?
In two ways, I participated in Maryland My Maryland, which was an incredible event, it's a shame Chris won't be heading these events any longer and to impart history as accurately as possible. You reference using them with high school classes, wouldn't it be better to label the pictures correctly. One day some of those students might venture to Sharpsburg and see the presentation in the visitors center or the interpretive plaque along the Pike or Lane...........

I concede your point. Accuracy in presenting history is always best, although as a writer of historical military fiction I find myself sometimes stretching or bending the details to fit better into a storyline. As to the students and juxtaposing period photos of the original scene to a reenactment scene and a solitary tourist, I agree it'd be better to just say the name of the battlefield.

upload_2016-12-14_11-44-26.png

upload_2016-12-14_11-45-13.png

upload_2016-12-14_11-48-44.png

upload_2016-12-14_11-51-0.png

I'll have to pick up a couple of your books, I love ACW novels, there are too few. You might want to use the attached pics in your presentations of Bloody Lane. I am sensitive to accuracy surrounding Sharpsburg, my ancestor Van Swearingen commissioned the three main bridges over Antietam creek, when he held the lease of Ringgold's Manor. Ringgold encompassed just about the entire Sharpsburg battlefield, of course this was well before the battle. I believe the lease ran out in the early 1800s. The Ferry over the Potomac to Shepardstown is still named Swearingen's Ferry.

Back