another ancestor who served

I finally heard from National Archives on Nathaniel Cook. They sent me the complete file they have. It verifies most of information I have. It be good as proof. They charged $25 . I guess because didn't have as much as some files. Now I will try to get my Great Great Grandfather Jesse Nichols file from Archives. I will order more relatives after each time I receive some material. Don't want too have too many orders at one time.

Thanks to help from forum and my additional research I am now member of the Albert Sidney Johnston Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. I have a few more papers to get in before I have full membership. I have joined through my Great Great Grandfather Nathaniel Cook. It is the Chapter out of Cincinnati. Ohio. They were closest chapter to me. They are a really nice group of ladies and enjoy their luncheon and meeting once a month.

Today I got a wonderful surprise in my e-mail from a distant cousin. He found photo of my Great Great Grandmother, Ellen Florence Cook. She was married to my Great Great Grandfather, Nathaniel Cook, the subject of this thread. If one keeps looking there are wonderful finds out there.

Today I got a wonderful surprise in my e-mail from a distant cousin. He found photo of my Great Great Grandmother, Ellen Florence Cook. She was married to my Great Great Grandfather, Nathaniel Cook, the subject of this thread. If one keeps looking there are wonderful finds out there.

Great find, Donna, and what a nice surprise. If you can take the photo somewhere and get it scanned onto a disc you can post it up here on the thread...just a thought.

Lee

It truly is amazing the kinds of surprises you can find along your journey ... and they seem to be never-ending, if you just keep looking. Congratulations on finding yet another connection to your family! Please share the photo if you can - and any future findings you come across. I love reading about others researching their families.

Glad you checked out find a grave. That is my memorial to my Great Great Grandfather. However, I see someone has added his son, Nathan. I try to check the memorials to see if any new posting. I need to add his wife and daughter.

Thanks, Donna, for sharing your step by step research journey -- not only inspiring, but practical in terms of processes. Must say, though, I envy your discovery of other family members with info, and genealogy interest.

Since a person who ancestors are the Gearheart family who buried my great great grandfather, Nathaniel Cook, is on this forum thought I bring this thread back up to share with them.

I now have so much more on his family, his wife's family and on others related to him.

It has taken me several years of research and the help of members on this forum and cousins I never knew who responded to my meages on Ancestry Message boards and the different Ky. message boards. Thanks to all.

It proves if you keep at it, the answers are there. It just takes a lot of research, the kind help of others and lots of perseverance.

I was told the story of our "unknown soldier" so many times growing up, I literally cried when I found out he is unknown no more, and his family knows of his whereabouts, and that he was with a loving family in his final hours.

Kelly
gg granddaughter of Joseph Gearhart

Back