Ann Whitney & the Leon River School of Hamilton County Texas 1867

DETexas

Cadet
In July 1867, the Leon River School in Hamilton County, Texas, was attacked by Indians. School teacher Ann Whitney was killed and student John Kuykendall was kidnapped.

I have scoured ancestry.com records, census records, old newspaper articles, historical books, etc. I am unable to tie Ann Whitney to Texas aside from this one incident. Her father, stepmother, and several siblings came as early as 1848 to Bell County from Conway, Massachusetts, and later moving into Comanche County. Ann's name does not appear in the 1850 or 1860 censuses in either Massachusetts or Texas. Her brothers' names appear in Civil War military enlistments. Her father, Orlando Whitney, was appointed postmaster of Comanche County. Stepmother Prudence Abell Whitney's name only appears in the 1850 census. Orlando died in 1872, but was not named in the 1870 census.

After months of research, I am interested in locating any additional documentation or lore that might connect Ann Whitney or Amilia Ann Whitney to Texas. Did she come with her family? Or, did she arrive much later? I find a Prudence Whitney and an Ann Whitney living in Boston, Massachusetts, in the state's 1855 census.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Back