Ancestors Mentioned In Regimental Histories

rbortega

Corporal
Did anybody have a Union or Confederate who was specifically mentioned in a regimental history (not counting appearing on a roster list). So far I have only found one relative with this distinction. My 4 x Great Uncle Garrett D. Pence is mentioned in History of 77th Volunteer Illinois Infantry by W. H. Bentley (p. 341-342):

upload_2014-4-19_18-33-40.png

upload_2014-4-19_18-33-11.png

What I found interesting about this incident was that this appeared to be Garrett's only combat experience. He enlisted in 1862, however, his service record mentions him being either sick or on detached service until his regiment's last major campaign at Mobile, Alabama in the Spring of 1865.

Did anybody have a Union or Confederate who was specifically mentioned in a regimental history (not counting appearing on a roster list). So far I have only found one relative with this distinction. My 4 x Great Uncle Garrett D. Pence is mentioned in History of 77th Volunteer Illinois Infantry by W. H. Bentley (p. 341-342):

View attachment 35066

View attachment 35065

What I found interesting about this incident was that this appeared to be Garrett's only combat experience. He enlisted in 1862, however, his service record mentions him being either sick or on detached service until his regiment's last major campaign at Mobile, Alabama in the Spring of 1865.

3bc2ca5e-8db9-48d7-b9fb-3f02fd4a2391.jpg

A 2 x 4th cousin is mentioned in the OR : Captain Robert Houston Isbell Company D 1st Alabama Infantry. Captured at Port Hudson, LA. He spent most of the war on Johnson's Island.

From the OR a message to Confederate Gen.Braxton Bragg :

Colonel Shelby reports enemy cavalry ( 300 ) at Tallahatchie Bridge. He fears he cannot hold till night.I ordered Capt Isbell with his battalion to proceed to that point.`

Last edited:
Rufus was my 2x g grandfather, kill July 2 Gettysburg in the peach orchard. below from the local newspaper.

NY 120: COMPANY C. John Newkirk, leg; Corp. J. L. Thompson, leg; A. D. Stokes, hip; J. Brodhead, leg, slight; S. J. Davis, leg, slight; G. W. Charles, arm, slight; W. H. Hendricks, ankle; G. B. Constable, ankle; Jacob Countryman, foot; D. D. Smith, foot; A. E. Van demark, hand and shoulder; Rufus Thompson, killed; J. D. C. Hill, arm; Peter Lattimer, wounded.

This regiment was recruited in Green and Ulster Counties, and organized at Kingston, August, 1862. The number of men at first enlisted was 900, and the number of recruits since received has augmented that number to 1,300, of which only 400 return.

Back