American Eagles

looking for information on what eagle stands for and what significance of the arrows and shield.
Have it hanging in the backyard, it's really heavy.
Should I clean it or leave it alone.
How should I clean it.

Attachments

• DSCN1425.JPG
    DSCN1425.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 885
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCN1425.JPG
    DSCN1425.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 262
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 488
Im not sure what the etiology is....we have heard of Franklin and the Turkey as our national bird (a fallecy). I had NEVER seen an eagle until the last 3 years and now I am seeing them in Central Mass......and friends say they have seen them in abundance for the past 2 years. The Rachel Carson factor may have plenty to do with that. From The predatory birds I have seen in Mass., I would say that Owls are the most victious, Hawlks a close second and just coming to know Eagle. I would imagine our fore fathers would want a bird which was not to be screwed with.

We saw our first bald eagles in Alaska this summer. The first one I saw was sitting on top of a dead tree looking absolutely regal-- snow white head and yellow beak, piercing eyes, and big. I can easily get why our founding fathers said let's go with that guy.

http://greatseal.com/symbols/arrows.html

ArrowsOliveBranch.jpg

The Bundle of Thirteen Arrows
in the Eagle's Left Talon on the U.S. Seal

HopkinsonArrows.jpg
Arrows were first suggested by Francis Hopkinson, the consultant and artist on the second Great Seal committee. In his preliminary design, one of the figures supporting the shield was an Indian warrior holding a bow & arrow and carrying a quiver of arrows (shown here). The other figure was a lady representing Peace bearing an olive branch. Beneath them was a Latin motto that meant "Prepared in War or in Peace."

When Charles Thomson put together the final design for the Great Seal, he placed a bundle of arrows in the eagle's left (sinister) talon. The official description specifies the bald Eagle holding "in his sinister a bundle of thirteen arrows."

BlazonArrows.jpg

The official explanation describes the symbolism: "The Olive branch and arrows denote the power of peace & war which is exclusively vested in Congress."

ExplanationOlivesArrows.jpg

In heraldry, the symbol in a figure's right hand is more significant than the one in its left hand. All dies of the Great Seal have shown the American eaglefacing the olive branch on its right side – further emphasizing the power of peace. The eagle on the Seal of the President, however, used to face the arrows.

ThomsonArrows.jpg

Charles Thomson specified a bundle of arrows, and in his preliminary sketch (above) showed the thirteen arrows tightly aligned – a symbol of "strength inunity" that's found in the traditional cultures everywhere, from the Romans to the Iroquois.

Attachments

• ArrowsOliveBranch.jpg
    ArrowsOliveBranch.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 895
  • HopkinsonArrows.jpg
    HopkinsonArrows.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 47
  • BlazonArrows.jpg
    BlazonArrows.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 47
  • ExplanationOlivesArrows.jpg
    ExplanationOlivesArrows.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ThomsonArrows.jpg
    ThomsonArrows.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 44
http://www.greatseal.com/symbols/shield.html

Shield on the Great Seal of the United States
ShieldPED.jpg

1st committee

ShieldHopkinson.jpg

2nd committee

ShieldBarton.jpg

3rd committee

ShieldThomson.jpg

Charles Thomson

Original drawings of all four preliminary designs

The first committee's shield designed by Pierre Du Simitière is bordered with the initials for "each of the thirteen independent States of America." Inside are symbols of the six "Countries from which these States have been peopled": rose for England, thistle for Scotland, harp for Ireland, fleur-de-lis for France, lion for Holland, imperial eagle (two-headed) for Germany.

The first striped shield (red and white diagonal) was suggested by the second committee – the idea of Francis Hopkinson, who had designed the American flag in 1777.

The consultant on the third committee, William Barton, wanted a shield of 13 horizontal stripes with a pillar in the center. That bird at the top is a "phoenix in flames."

ShieldStPauls.jpg
When Charles Thomson came up with thefinal design of the Great Seal, he first suggested a shield with 13 chevrons (top right), introducing the theme of mutual support that led William Barton to suggest the 13 vertical stripes (states) supporting a chief (federal government) we see today. The shape of the shield is not specified.

As stated in the official description of the Great Seal, the shield has
"thirteen pieces Argent and Gules: A Chief Azure."

BlazonShield.jpg

This means the shield has seven white (argent) stripes, six red (gules) stripes, and a blue (azure) top section (Chief). Note: the American flag has seven red and six white stripes.

In heraldry, the shield and motto complement each other. Charles Thomson thought the first committee's motto "E pluribus unum" (Out of many, one) best captured the shield's symbolism, so he put it on the scroll held in the beak of the American bald eagle.

Symbolism of the Shield (paraphrase of official explanation)
The shield is composed of the blue Chief (top horizontal bar) and the red and white Pales (thirteen vertical stripes) which represent the several states all joined in one solid compact entire, supporting a Chief which unites the whole and represents Congress. The motto alludes to this union.

The stripes are kept closely united by the Chief, and the Chief depends upon the union and the strength resulting from it for its support to denote the Confederacy of the United States of America and the preservation of their union through Congress.

HumanShield.jpg

Attachments

• ShieldStPauls.jpg
    ShieldStPauls.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ShieldThomson.jpg
    ShieldThomson.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ShieldBarton.jpg
    ShieldBarton.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 38
  • ShieldHopkinson.jpg
    ShieldHopkinson.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 51
  • ShieldPED.jpg
    ShieldPED.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 33
  • BlazonShield.jpg
    BlazonShield.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 30
  • HumanShield.jpg
    HumanShield.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28
Majestic symbol from a distance but I have seen the bald eagle much closer than I wanted to. I had one grab a snake and fly over the hood of my fast moving truck. Right in you line of sight at 2-3 feet away, these birds look huge. I was about two feet away from seeing that darn bird hit my windshield.

Last edited:
Generally speaking the eagles head faces towards the olive branch side indicating a preference for peace over war. The eagle sculpture in the op doesnt even have the olive branch, but a shield, and its facing the arrows direction, indicating war.

The American eagle has been used for so long and in so many different ways that to me this appears to be some kind of patriotic emblem. Perhaps it was used on a wall at some militia company armory or a patriotic club.

I have seen the eagle face right, left, up and down. I have seen the eagle looking high low and in between. I have not seen all that much difference of the eagle facing towards the arrows during war and toward the olive branch during peace. Although I have read such information about looking at the arrows, I am starting to believe this is a myth.

Saw another Eagle in Mass. last week. Certainly making a strong comeback. Seemed to be chasing a flock of geese.

Back