After The Carnage (painting)

oleslavecatcher

Private
funkstown Prep 131Afterthecarnage1 copy.gif

He is too clean. The rest of the painting I like very much, but he is too clean to have just fought in clouds of smoke on a humid day.
Not necessarily, as a corporal, he might have been pressed into a file closers role or he might have been with the third of McClellan's army that didn't fight and was looking for friends from same state regiments that did.

Great work, keep it up!

Interesting, but this guy really needs a few inches of hair on his head, another few on his face, and a good mud bath on his clothes to be remotely passable as a ACW contemporary...

The other thing is the sky. The cloudiness was from an upcoming storm and not sunset, which is what the red hues suggest. The sky was likely blue-gray-black

The way he looks is irrelevant to me, it is a very powerful picture that conveys a meaningful message, I really like it, my initial reaction when I first looked at it was, 'Oh wow'. Brilliant stuff.

Where is that? It's a beautiful sculpture and quote.
I'm actually having a hard time remembering. I believe I took it at the museum at the Chancollorsville battlefield which is located just minutes from the location known as the Wilderness. If I remember correctly on May 10, 1864 Grant and Lee squared off. Fires in the brush consumed the wounded. It was close quarters fighting. Horrible by all definitions of war. After the carnage the survivors simply sat on the ground and wailed like children. Think about that!

Last edited:
I'm actually having a hard time remembering. I believe I took it at the museum at the Chancollorsville battlefield which is located just minutes from the location know as the Wilderness. If I remember correctly on May 10, 1864 Grant and Lee squared off. Fires in the brush consumed the wounded. It was close quarters fighting. Horrible by all definitions of war. After the carnage the survivors simply sat on the ground and wailed like children. Think about that!
I believe it. I just finished the section that dealt with that battle in the Lewis/Catton Grant trilogy. It sounded like Hell on Earth.

It must have been Justin. BTW those battlefield are priceless. Well worth the trip!!!
Much appreciated. Just curious, are any of the other Overland Campaign battlefields worth a trip? I just read about them, and was wondering if they've been preserved or not.
(Sorry for the off-topic post.)

Last edited:
Yes, they are. Without question. I could easily spend more than a month there. I've spent considerable time there and still feel I haven't sufficiently explored the region. From the Wilderness to City Point a very worthwhile CW buff excursion. I'm afraid I'll have to be retired to give it the time it's worthy of. Pettersburg and Richmond alone are more than a weeks vacation will accommodate

I'm actually having a hard time remembering. I believe I took it at the museum at the Chancollorsville battlefield which is located just minutes from the location know as the Wilderness. If I remember correctly on May 10, 1864 Grant and Lee squared off. Fires in the brush consumed the wounded. It was close quarters fighting. Horrible by all definitions of war. After the carnage the survivors simply sat on the ground and wailed like children. Think about that!
The little plaque says it depicts the reaction after the Bloody Angle, which was the hell-on-earth that was Spotsylvania. That's what the dates match up with, also. Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, it was all unimaginably horrible.

Back