1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Aerial View of South End of the Battlefield

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

This aerial view of the battlefield is full of historic locations associated with Day 2 at Gettysburg. From the Devil's Den to the Peach Orchard and all points in between can be seen in this very clear image. Typically, I would label these locations, but I thought some of my friends here might enjoy "finding" them yourselves. I find that viewing the battlefield from above helps me understand troop movements and how the battle was fought.
    AV!.jpg
    From left to right: Warfield/Seminary Ridge, Emmitsburg Road, Triangular Field, Houck's Ridge, Devil's Den, Rose Woods, Plum Run, Valley of Death, The Wheatfield, Stony Hill, the Peach Orchard, and Trostle Farm, to name a few.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    JOHN42768, FZ11, PeterT and 13 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

A QUIZ!!! May I humbly request that further down the thread we can have an "after" with the labels so that we can check our mental homework?

4. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 2nd Lieutenant

The confederates formed behind the line of trees thru the middle ground. i was looking at it going wondering what it is.

FZ11 and PeterT like this.
  5. bdietzler73

bdietzler73 First Sergeant Forum Host

Excellent shot!! Thank you for sharing.

Yankeedave likes this.
  6. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Corporal Trivia Game Winner

Great shot. I just wonder what percent of that shot I have personally walked. I know I have more work to do but I have left a lot of footprints on that battlefield.

Quiz bonus is to point out the Timbers Farm foundation.

This Gettysburg forum has been offering up a nice blend of interesting questions, great photography, and detailed battle summaries. Love it.

7. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

Since you ask, Bee, it will be coming soon, I'll tag you.

Bee likes this.
  8. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

Great! It will be one for the (growing) files :smile:

Wallyfish likes this.
  9. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 2nd Lieutenant

Timbers Farm is south of the Rose Farm in the corner of the Rose Woods. i found a old small medicine bottle in the farmhouse foot print back in the late 80's early 90's.

PeterT, Gettysburg Greg and Wallyfish like this.
  10. johncla

johncla Cadet

Great stuff. I'm looking for some context, though.
    I assume this is not *just* a photo, since I don't see modern roads. It looks like an attempt at what the landscape looked like at the time of the battle.
    I love it, but tell me more.

11. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

Thanks for the comment. To answer your question, it is a untouched photograph. The roads are hard to see, though. I could describe the locations in the shot, but I think you would appreciate my follow up post on which I labeled several battle related locations that would give you some context. Scroll through the posts, I posted the following up right after posting this. Let me know if you don't find it, I will send to you.
    Ok, I found the post with labels, here is link: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/aerial-view-with-labels.129519/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)