Advertising at the Anniversary

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
Feeling debilitated? Got just what you need. Check out the first roadside billboard advertising Scenck's Seaweed Tonic along the Baltimore Pike during the 1888 anniversary. In case you can't read the advertisement, it says,"Schenck's Seaweed Tonic For Debility Arising from over-exertion, sickness, or any cause whatever, Schenck's Seaweed Tonic is a valuable remedy, containing the nourishing and life supporting properties of many natural productions. Its strengthening properties are truly wonderful. A single bottle will demonstrate its value. Prepared by J. H. Schenck & Son Philadelphia Pa." Sounds like something I could use. :thumbsup:
billboard.jpg

The Seaweed Tonic, by improving the power of the stomach and strengthening the whole system, prepares the dyspeptic and enfeebled patient for the use of the Pulmonic Syrup. The operation of the latter is to increase the vital energies, to ripen the ulcers, and to expel all the morbid matter from the system. But as consumption is often coupled with dyspepsia or liver complaint, and as it frequently originates in these disorders, it is proper in some cases to begin with the use of the Tonic and Pills, or to use them simultaneously with the Syrup.

The Seaweed Tonic had a reported 19.5% alcohol content. No wonder it was so popular. But the Pulmonic Syrup ripening ulcers and expelling of morbid matter parts really got my attention.

I recall seeing empty bottles of Schenck's for sale somewhere. I never researched it to find out what was in it.

Never picked up on the fence ad before.

For those who want to read more on Schenck..

http://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles381.htm

"For you, today only, because I like you, and you have an honest face!"

Back