Sherman A Problem: Where do I find the General Sherman fan club?

Don't tell anyone, but I kind of like Sherman. Despite the fact that he did evil, evil things. He was just fantastically ugly, which must have had some impact on his relationships with other people - I happened across a picture of him as a youth and he was already ugly. And he appears to have had a really basic lack of understanding of why it's good to put limits on what you'll allow yourself to do, for your own soul's sake, if for no other reason. It must have been a strange mind that could be that unfiltered by convention.

It's worth looking at his life after the war. A lot of people with good reason to hate him ended up liking him. He had a refreshing lack of .... Um, I'm not allowed to use the word I want. And I can't argue with the notion that a quick death for the south was best for everyone.

When I end up hating Sherman most is when I'm reading about someplace or something beautiful, and I go to look it up, and turns out he had it set on fire. Sherman is dead. Literally everyone who lived at that time is dead. But there's no need for their works to be dead too. He did that, he stole the heritage of a whole swath of the country. That's not a great legacy.

How did Sherman steal the heritage of a whole swath of the country?

Also, I have to admit Sherman (as of the ACW) reminds me a little of Clint Eastwood as the Man with No Name, appearance-wise. Not good or bad looks wise, just that kind of beard and that kind of "Gargoyles can be carved using this man's expression for an example."

The most hated guy in the south and underated in the North?
I just like his disdain for politics and impatience with inaccurate or slanted journalism.
Aside from an few other shared personality traits... no I don't like fire.

Any advice from this pro northern site?

Philip
I thought I could find something but my search turned up nothing. Sorry

Here in Missouri we have our Burnt District. But everybodys over it by now. No lost heritage. And that area was Depopulated by order. We don't hate the general now.
Why with Sherman? He actually was fairly well liked in the cities he governed.

He
I dislike the guy for making my South Carolina Genealogy interests prior to 1865 almost unresearchable with all the courthouses he burned down and records he destroyed and all.

I can understand that. Here's a question that never gets asked, wouldn't somebody have been tasked with a very similar
march if not Sherman. The union scraped the Shenandoah clean and that general isn't very vilified.
Wouldn't somebody have got the job within a few monnths if not Sherman? People act like he was the the only man "evil" enough to do this!

Philip

Here in Missouri we have our Burnt District. But everybodys over it by now. No lost heritage. And that area was Depopulated by order. We don't hate the general now.
Why with Sherman? He actually was fairly well liked in the cities he governed.

He

I can understand that. Here's a question that never gets asked, wouldn't somebody have been tasked with a very similar
march if not Sherman. The union scraped the Shenandoah clean and that general isn't very vilified.
Wouldn't somebody have got the job within a few monnths if not Sherman? People act like he was the the only man "evil" enough to do this!

Philip

My comment was in jest but yes someone else probably would have...but then they would be vilified. I don't have any research interests in the Shenandoah valley or else I would probably have a problem there as well. It is an annoyance because my mothers family is almost completely untraceable now, not only do they have a common surname but at the time of the Civil War, they lived in Georgia so when looking for them in S.C. I am dealing with the pre-civil war era. The County that I believe they came from was one that sherman's troops burned the courthouse. It has been a very big annoyance to my research for sure.

Ironically, Sherman and Bedford Forrest have allot in common.

Historically, both men have been placed under the microscope and in the spotlight.

Just mentioning those two probably evokes more emotional responses than any other names during the War.
For the most part, it seems both men are either automatically hated or revered.

Neither men were Saints, but they are not the demons many think they were.

There are many threads about these two guys on these forums, and that's one of the great things I like about CivilWarTalk.

But back to the OP . . . yeah if you explore enough, I have no doubt you can find a link to a Sherman fan club, Facebook Page, ect. :smoke:

Last edited:
My comment was in jest but yes someone else probably would have...but then they would be vilified. I don't have any research interests in the Shenandoah valley or else I would probably have a problem there as well. It is an annoyance because my mothers family is almost completely untraceable now, not only do they have a common surname but at the time of the Civil War, they lived in Georgia so when looking for them in S.C. I am dealing with the pre-civil war era. The County that I believe they came from was one that sherman's troops burned the courthouse. It has been a very big annoyance to my research for sure.

Ya, southern partisans burned our courthouse too. And town. Carthage, MO was burned and re-burned maybe by both sides...but that is how Missouri was. MUCH harder war than Shermans march. It was truly brutal and murderous throughout much of the state. No Committee on the Conduct of the War here. Just fratricidal killing.

I hope you find what your looking for. Philip

Ironically, Sherman and Bedford Forrest have allot in common.

Historically, both men have been placed under the microscope and in the spotlight.

Just mentioning those two probably evokes more emotional responses than any other names during the War.
For the most part, it seems both men are either automatically hated or revered.

Neither men were Saints, but they are not the demons many think they were.

There are many threads about these two guys on these forums, and thats one of the great things I like about CivilWarTalk.

But back to the OP . . . yeah if you explore enough, I have no doubt you can find a link to a Sherman fan club, Facebook Page, ect. :smoke:

You will see in my post below that the war was MUCH uglier in Missouri than Shermans March. I guess he just got all the 1880's bad press.
Philip

The most hated guy in the south and underated in the North?
I just like his disdain for politics and impatience with inaccurate or slanted journalism.
Aside from an few other shared personality traits... no I don't like fire.

Any advice from this pro northern site?

Philip

Philip,

I have a Lincoln/Sherman shrine in my den. I light candles and offer sacrifices and everything! ;0

Head Priest of the Lincoln/Sherman cult,
Unionblue

I’ve long suspected as much. :whistling:

CSA Today,

Do not "suspect" any longer.

Tucked away in a little known room in central Ohio, ironically, on the South side of the capital city, Columbus, there is a shrine, a holy place, where only a select few gather to show homage to and honor to those who deserve such by their devotion to the Union.

Portraits of Lincoln and Sherman adorn the wall with candles on each side of those portraits, nay, with even more candles set upon a sideboard before each, throwing light upon those revered and honored, light that never fades through the ages.

When the time is right (say the anniversery of the burning of Atlanta or Columbia perhaps) ALL the candles are lit, casting their brightness about the room, making the shrine brilliant with their glow, and the few, select, worshipers begin singing, in a low tone, "Marching Through Georgia" begins the rituals of adoration.

After the ceremoney is concluded, we then adjourn to the nearest Denny's for the after ritual dinner.

Looking forward to this year's ceremoney,
Head Priest
Unionblue

Last edited:
CSA Today,

Do not "suspect" any longer.

Tucked away in a little known room in central Ohio, ironically, on the South side of the capital city, Columbus, there is a shrine, a holy place, where only a select few gather to show homage to and honor to those who deserve such by their devotion to the Union.

Portraits of Lincoln and Sherman adorn the wall with candles on each side of those portraits, nay, with even more candles set upon a sideboard before each, throwing light upon those revered and honored, light that never fades through the ages.

When the time is right (say the anniversery of the burning of Atlanta or Columbia perhaps) ALL the candles are lit, casting their brightness about the room, making the shrine brilliant with their glow, and the few, select, worshipers begin singing, in a low tone, "Marching Through Georgia" begins the rituals of adoration.

After the ceremoney is concluded, we then adjourn to the nearest Denney's for the after ritual dinner.

Looking forward to this year's ceremoney,
Head Priest
Unionblue

You sound like a great speaker for our March meeting of the Scotland County Genealogy Society. The topic will be Sherman March. The bulk of Sherman’s came right through the county March, 8-9, 1865 so your talk could be a real barnburner. :biggrin:

You sound like a great speaker for our March meeting of the Scotland County Genealogy Society. The topic will be Sherman March. The bulk of Sherman’s came right through the county March, 8-9, 1865 so your talk could be a real barnburner. :biggrin:

CSA Today,

I do not "talk" when in attendance at the shrine.

I worship.

Sincerely,
Head Priest,
Unionblue

Last edited:
Back