"A Nut for the Germans"

AndyHall

Colonel
Janesville, Wisconsin, Daily Gazette, June 23, 1863 (quoting Knoxville, Tennessee):

upnk8089UP53367713.jpg

Last edited:
UGH. Talk about a stink -- such hatred reeks!

Good on the Wisconsinites for exposing just how awful the sentiments in Knoxville, TN, were at the time -- although I imagine there was more at work in the publication of this than righteous moral outrage -- the editors also surely knew that such nuggets would help keep up the North's fighting spirit!

Just a side note: I've always been bugged by the way Germans have so often been referred to as Dutchmen. I know, I know, it's probably because of the language -- Deutsch, after all -- but still. Wish they'd get the nationalities straight.

The editors also surely knew that such nuggets would help keep up the North's fighting spirit!

Common tactic. When C.S.S. Alabama was cruising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, Captain Semmes made sure that his crew knew that the northern papers had dismissed his British crew as scum of the earth, gaol sweepings, etc.

@KansasFreestater

The term Dutchman comes from the fact that Deutsch is pronounced in English as if it were Doytsh. The formation of the oy sound (as in the Yiddish oy vey) is hard for a lot of people to pronounce. Hence "Dutch" or "Dutchman".

UGH. Talk about a stink -- such hatred reeks!

Good on the Wisconsinites for exposing just how awful the sentiments in Knoxville, TN, were at the time -- although I imagine there was more at work in the publication of this than righteous moral outrage -- the editors also surely knew that such nuggets would help keep up the North's fighting spirit!

Just a side note: I've always been bugged by the way Germans have so often been referred to as Dutchmen. I know, I know, it's probably because of the language -- Deutsch, after all -- but still. Wish they'd get the nationalities straight.
While it was common, it does not mean that Germans accepted it. They often referred to Americans as too uneducated to know the difference between the two regions/countries.

@KansasFreestater

The term Dutchman comes from the fact that Deutsch is pronounced in English as if it were Doytsh. The formation of the oy sound (as in the Yiddish oy vey) is hard for a lot of people to pronounce. Hence "Dutch" or "Dutchman".
Yeah, I know. Still bugs me, though. Always been a bit anal about words. :x3:

The contention that Germans should have "no interest" in the Civil War is also quite common in Confederate analysis. Immigrants were depicted as serving either for money or because they were deluded.

Back