A deadly shot?

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
A Union breast plate , from a cartridge box shoulder belt, struck by a fairly large projectile! It is pictured with a .69 cal ball. More than likely a fatal wound unless the ball was deflected.
8576808302_a74bd7604c_z.jpg

8576806994_f90c8501b3_z.jpg

Are the breast plate and the deformed bullet from the same "find"? Or are they two separate items matched up later? I'd say it's likely the real bullet passed by the edge of the breast plate without much deflection and then did its damage. On the other hand, if these two artifact go together, then I'd say the soldier at least had an extremely sever bruise and possibly a broken rib or two!

Are the breast plate and the deformed bullet from the same "find"? Or are they two separate items matched up later? I'd say it's likely the real bullet passed by the edge of the breast plate without much deflection and then did its damage. On the other hand, if these two artifact go together, then I'd say the soldier at least had an extremely sever bruise and possibly a broken rib or two!
No, I don't believe so. The .69 cal projectile was for comparison.

Yeah, I'd say whoever was wearing that got at best some broken ribs and likely worse. But then, just maybe, they had one of those ubiquitous bibles in a pocket just under that button and lived to tell all. A cool find one way or the other.

Back