Trivia 9-18-15 Loyal Employees & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular Question: The Q specifies TWO men, but, in addition to Davis, there were actually 3 other men who served in the cabinet for the "entire war" :
1. Judah Benjamin: Attorney General (February 25, 1861 – November 15, 1861), Secretary of War (September 17, 1861 – March 24, 1862) , Secretary of State (March 18, 1862 – May 10, 1865)
2. John H Reagan: Postmaster General (March 6, 1861 – May 10, 1865) and Secretary of the Treasury (April 27, 1865 – May 10, 1865)
3. Alexander Stephens: Vice President (February 11, 1861 – February 22, 1862 provisional & February 22, 1862 – May 11, 1865)

I have excluded Secretary of the Navy, Stephen Russell Mallory, who resigned May 2/3 1865, prior to the official dissolution. That leaves Benjamin, Reagan, and Stephens with positions above. If I must answer with just two names, I will assume, since you are excluding Davis, you are also excluding Vice President Alexander Stephens, leaving Judah Benjamin and John H Reagan.

Friday Bonus: Cincinatti,Ohio en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianola_(1862)

Well.... are there not four? Assuming that the war began April 12,1861 and ended May 11 1865 with Davis' capture?

President Jeff Davis was a member of the Cabinet Feb 18 1861 - May 11 1865 as was Alexander Stephens VP

But I suppose it's not a trick question and it wants to be:

From February 15th 1861, Judah P Benjamin was Attorney General, Secretary for War and Secretary of State (although he actually ceased to be any of 'em on May 10 1865)

John Reagan was Postmaster General until May 10th 1865 and took that position March 8 1861 - which was before the war started but like Benjamin he quit a day earlier than Davis and Stephens???

Bonus: Cincinnati, Ohio

Stephen Mallory, Secretary of the Navy, March 4th 1861-May 2nd 1865

John H Reagan, Postmaster General, March 6th 1861- May 10th 1865 ( Secretary of the Treasury April 27th 1865-May 10th 1865)

Alexander Stephens, Vice President, February 1861-May 11th 1865

Bonus. USS Indianola was built in Cincinnati

The Cabinet of the Confederate States existed from 18 February 1861 to 10 May 1865
Alexander Stevens, Vice President served from February 18, 1861 – May 11, 1865
John H. Reagan, Postmaster General served from March 6, 1861 – May 10, 1865 (and also Secretary of Treasury from April 27, 1865 – May 10, 1865)
and also, Steven Mallory, Secretary of the Navy served from March 4, 1861 – May 2, 1865

Cincinnati, Ohio. The ship was built in 1862 at a cost of $183,000. It was designed for use in the western rivers. It had two side wheels as well as two screw propellers for propulsion. It joined the western fleet in December 1862 but was forced to surrender in February 1863.

John H. Reagan Postmaster General, Secretary of Treasury
Stephen R. Mallory, Secretary of the Navy (the only one to retain the same position for the entire period)

Bonus: Cincinnati, Ohio

Davis and Stephens served as President and VP the entire war but the other two were Mallory (Sec of the Navy) and Reagan (Postmaster General).

Bonus: it was built in Cincinnati Ohio.

Judah Benjamin: Secretary of State, War, Attorney General
Stephen Mallory: Secretary of the Navy

Bonus: USS Indianola was built in Cincinnati, Ohio

Answer: John H. Reagan, Postmaster General
Stephen Mallory, Secretary of Navy

Source: The Library of Congress Civil War Desk Reference. p. 710-711.

bonus: Answer: Cincinnati, OH

Edit - The question did not specify that a person had to serve in the same position for the entire duration of the war, so I will consider Judah Benjamin to be a correct answer.

And according to the Constitution of the United States, the Vice President is officially considered to be a member of the Cabinet. As far as I can find, the Confederate Constitution did not differ from the U.S. Constitution on this point, so Alexander Stephens served in the Confederate Cabinet for the entire war and can also be considered to be a correct answer.

Since the question only asked players to name two, I will accept any answer including two, or three, or all four of Benjamin, Mallory, Reagan, and Stephens.

Some players argued that since Mallory resigned on May 2, 1865, he should not be considered to have served for the "entire war."

My question is - has there ever been universal agreement on one single specific date that can be considered to mark the end of the Civil War?

Should it be April 9, 1865, the day on which Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia?

Should it be April 26, 1865, the day on which Joseph Johnston surrendered the Army of Tennessee and all remaining Confederate forces still active in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida?

Should it be the day on which Jefferson Davis was captured? (But there seems to be disagreement on exactly what day that event took place - some say he was captured on May 10, 1865, others say it didn’t happen until May 11.)

Should it be May 13, 1865, the day on which the Battle of Palmito Ranch, considered to be the last battle of the Civil War, came to its conclusion?

Should it be May 19, 1865, the day on which the unfortunate Cpl. John Skinner became the last man to be killed in a Civil War skirmish (see various posts in the 6-22-15 trivia game thread)?

Should it be June 23, 1865, the day on which Stand Watie became the last Confederate general in the field to surrender?

Should it be November 6, 1865, the day on which the CSS Shenandoah lowered her Confederate flag for the last time?

If anybody wants to debate this issue, please start a thread on the Civil War History forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back