Trivia 9-1-16 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was a Confederate Commissary General, appointed Brigadier General in 1864,
I was arrested by Union Forces in June 1865 for starving federal prisoners-of war.
Who am I?

credit: @sarladaise

Lucius Bellinger Northrop
Davis appointed Northrop a brigadier general on November 26, 1864, but he did not risk sending the appointment to the Confederate Senate, where it would surely have been rejected.
After the war, Col. Northrop was arrested in Raleigh, North Carolina, on June 30, 1865, by the victorious Federals and confined for four months as an officer who had given aid and comfort to the Confederacy, and for the privations suffered by federal prisoners-of-war during Northrop's service as Commissary-General.

Lucius Bellinger Northrop (September 8, 1811 – February 9, 1894), was the Commissary-General of the armed forces of the Confederate States of America. Appointed by Confederate president Jefferson Davis, a personal friend, Northrop was responsible for the logistics and supply chain that transported food, clothing, and forage to the Southern armies of the American Civil War, particularly the Army of Northern Virginia. Northrop was also responsible for supplying the prison camps that housed Federal prisoners-of-war, such as Andersonville.[1]
After the war, Col. Northrop was arrested in Raleigh, North Carolina, on June 30, 1865,[2] by the victorious Federals and confined for four months as an officer who had given aid and comfort to the Confederacy, and for the privations suffered by federal prisoners-of-war during Northrop's service as Commissary-General. After his release in November 1865, he lived in obscurity on a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia.
(Wikipedia)

You might be Lucius B. Northrop
source: http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Lucius_B._Northrop

Northrop was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He won appointment to the United States Military Academy in West Point, Class of 1831. His time there overlapped with a fellow Southerner, Jefferson Davis (Class of 1828). After graduating, Northrop was commissioned as a brevet second lieutenant and assigned to a series of posts, including duty in Florida Territory during the Second Seminole War. While on duty in Florida in 1839, Northrop suffered a severe wound to his knee as the result of the discharge of his own weapon- maybe he was the Bernard P. Milton Oliver Fife (Barney Fife) of the Civil War.

The connection between Northrop and Davis was significant for Northrop's career. Significantly disabled, Northrop could no longer perform field duties for the United States Army. As the Confederate Commissary-General, Northrop faced almost insurmountable logistical problems. As the war continued, Confederate soldiers began, in letters home and to their congressmen, to express concerns about the performance of the office of the Commissary-General. Loyal to his friend, and aware of the overall logistical dilemmas facing the Confederacy, President Davis refrained from making Northrop into a scapegoat. Davis appointed Northrop a brigadier general on November 26, 1864, but he did not risk sending the appointment to the Confederate Senate, where it would surely have been rejected.

After the war, Northrop was arrested in Raleigh, North Carolina, on June 30, 1865, by the victorious Federals and confined for four months as an officer who had given aid and comfort to the Confederacy, and for the privations suffered by federal prisoners-of-war during Northrop's service as Commissary-General. After his release in November 1865, he lived in obscurity on a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia.

I was a Confederate Commissary General, appointed Brigadier General in 1864,
I was arrested by Union Forces in June 1865 for starving federal prisoners-of war.
Who am I?

credit: @sarladaise

General Lucius B Northrop

Lucius Bellinger Northrop

While it is true the Confederacy lacked many of the resources and much of the infrastructure necessary to maintain its armies and prison camps, it is also clear that Northrop magnified these deficiencies through the incompetent administration of his department. Nevertheless, Davis refused to abandon his friend and even promoted Northrop to brigadier general in 1864, an appointment that was never ratified by the Confederate Senate. After the war, Northrop was briefly imprisoned by Union forces but then retired to his farm near Charlottesville, Virginia.
https://www.nps.gov/people/lucius-northrop.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back