Trivia 8-8-16 What's the connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His father, Junius Leigh Walthall, was a Virginia native who served as captain in the Confederate Army and later became a respected figure in Alabama politics. Sixty-Second Alabama Infantry Regiment.

Extra:
Actor’s Kin Falls
Henry Walthall has received word from France that his brother, Capt. Junius L. Walthall, Company I, Seventh U. S. infantry. Third division, originally stationed at Camp Green, North Carolina, had both of his thighs shattered by an explosive in the recent drive against the Huns. The letter stated that Walthall lay on the battlefield six hours before the Red Cross nurses could get to his side.

His father, Junius, was a Captain in the Confederate army.

0FDB0134-C058-4AEC-B62F-0F651960D766_zpsurad9sjt.jpg

Attachments

• 0FDB0134-C058-4AEC-B62F-0F651960D766_zpsurad9sjt.jpg
    0FDB0134-C058-4AEC-B62F-0F651960D766_zpsurad9sjt.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 19
Henry Brazeale Walthall was born on a plantation at Mallory's Station, Shelby County AL. His father was Junius Leigh Walthall who served in the 12th Alabama Infantry (Rodes Brigade.) Most articles say he was "a Captain in the Confederate Army." Carded records show that he enlisted into Company I Southern Foresters 12th Alabama Infantry as a 2nd Lieut, served as Adjutant, and ended his service in the 12th as Acting Quartermaster before transferring out. He is also listed as Captain Co E 1st Alabama Reserves (aka 62nd Alabama Infantry.)

His uncle was Edward C. Walthall

Edit - I was going to mark this answer wrong, because although Edward C. Walthall was a Confederate general, I was originally unable to find any source verifying that Edward C. was Henry B.'s uncle.

Fortunately for you, JohnDLittlefield came up with a source containing a note from Henry's great-great niece, who stated that Edward C. was, indeed, Henry's uncle (as well as her great-grandmother's). So your answer is correct.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back