Trivia 8-6-15 Name that Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops - The Stainless Banner - AND Feb. 1863. Its first official appearance was to drape the coffin of Stonewall Jackson as he lay in state in the Capitol building in Richmond; it's first appearance on a battlefield was in Rodes' Division at Gettysburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second national flag: "The Stainless Banner" (1863–1865)
During the solicitation for a second Confederate national flag, there were many different types of designs that were proposed, nearly all making use of the battle flag, which by 1863 had become well-known and popular among those living in the Confederacy. The new design was specified by the Confederate Congress to be a white field "with the union (now used as the battle flag) to be a square of two-thirds the width of the flag, having the ground red; thereupon a broad saltire of blue, bordered with white, and emblazoned with mullets or five-pointed stars, corresponding in number to that of the Confederate States."[18]

The flag is also known as "the Stainless Banner" and was designed by William T. Thompson, a newspaper editor and writer based in Savannah, Georgia, with assistance from William Ross Postell, a Confederate blockade runner.[1][2][4][5][6][7] The nickname "stainless" referred to the pure white field which took up a large part of the flag's design, although W.T. Thompson, the flag's designer, referred to his design as "The White Man's Flag.”[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] In referring to the white field that comprised a large part of the flag's design elements, Thompson stated that its color symbolized the "supremacy of the white man":[8]

Expired Image Removed

Second national flag
(May 1, 1863 – March 4, 1865[17]), 2:1 ratio
Expired Image Removed

Second national flag, also used as the Confederate navy's ensign, 1.5:1 ratio
As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.

William T. Thompson (April 23, 1863), Daily Morning News[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

Edit - The question was asking for the date when the flag was first adopted, not the entire time period during which it was used.

Hoosier

Second national flag: "The Stainless Banner" (1863–1865)
upload_2015-8-7_8-11-7.jpeg

I was actually doing some research on the national flags yesterday and thus came across both these answers. Sadly my memory doesn't serve me well except that it was a very unusual name and that it was some time in 1863, but I'd have to look them up again and I'm sure a bunch of y'all have the right answers (from memory of course :wink:) already

answer: Stainless Banner. Adopted on May 1, 1863

Edit - The flag was adopted on a single, specific date. Correct answers will have to specify month, day, and year.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back