Trivia 8-5-16 Who Am I & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question and if I didn't get this one right I will be shunned by my fellow Sons Of Confederate Veterans members here in The Heart of Dixie. ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Born in 1840, I was a 20 year old college student when my state seceded. I was wounded in the leg at Frazier’s Farm and was out of commission for a month. When I returned to the brigade, I found myself the ranking officer of the regiment – a result of attrition. I led my regiment at Second Manassas. I was promoted to major and again led my regiment at Sharpsburg, where I was slightly wounded in the face. I was promoted to colonel at the age of 22. I led my regiment at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, where I was wounded in the knee and out of commission for 5 months. When I returned, I found myself senior colonel of the brigade, but promotion to Brigadier General was withheld because of my age. After Spotsylvania, I finally received that promotion. I later bled to death at the age of 24 when my femoral arteries were severed at Globe Tavern.

Who am I? And what Regiment did I command?

Brigadier General John C. C. Sanders, 11th Alabama Infantry Regiment.
johnsanders.jpg

Bonus Question; Brigadier General Emerson Opdycke

John Caldwell Calhoun Sanders
11th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry
(April 4, 1840 – August 21, 1864) was one the Confederate States Army's youngest brigadier generals during the American Civil War (Civil War). He was killed in the Battle of Globe Tavern along the Weldon Railroad during the Siege of Petersburg, Virginia on August 21, 1864.

John C. C. Sanders was elected captain of Company E of the 11th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry on June 11, 1861

For his actions and services at Spotsylvania Court House, Sanders was promoted to brigadier general on May 31, 1864 under the section of the Confederate law permitting the appointment of temporary general officers.[2][3] Sanders was given command of a brigade of Alabama regiments formerly commanded by Brigadier General Cadmus M. Wilcox.

Brigadier General John C. C. Sanders was killed in action in an engagement along the Weldon Railroad in Virginia which is generally known as Battle of Globe Tavern (also known as the Second Battle of the Weldon Railroad), on August 21, 1864 when he was shot through both thighs and bled to death within a few minutes.[2][3] wiki

Bonus: Samuel Emerson Opdycke
He was brevetted Maj. Gen. of Volunteers after Franklin, and later was given the full rank of Brig. Gen. (July 26, 1865).

find a grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8079927

John C. C. Sanders
11th Alabama Infantry, until he was promoted to Brig.Gen.,
when he commanded the brigade formerly commanded by Cadmus M. Wilcox
Sources: wikipedia article, "John C. C. Sanders"
http://randomthoughtsonhistory.blogspot.com/2015/07/sacrificing-for-cause-john-cc-sanders.html
http://randomthoughtsonhistory.blogspot.com/2015/07/sacrificing-for-cause-john-cc-sanders.html
Bonus: Brig. Gen. Samuel Emerson Opdycke, USA http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/emerson-opdycke.html

John C. C. Sanders
Sanders' Brigade
8th Alabama Infantry
9th Alabama Infantry
10th Alabama Infantry
11th Alabama Infantry
13th Alabama Infantry
14th Alabama Infantry

Bonus:

Emerson Opdycke (unless you recognized him, that's a tough question).

My GG G-Pa (57th IN) was out front that day (Nov. 30, 1864), in the end Opdycke distinguished himself at the Battle of Franklin, while the beloved General George D. Wagner military career was destroyed. A lot of conflicting stories as to what had happened that afternoon, but in the end General George D. Wagner is one of my top CW hero's.

My avatar is thought to be General George Day Wagner, circa 1868.

John Caldwell Calhoun Sanders
John C. C. Sanders was elected captain of Company E of the 11th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry on June 11, 1861.
For his actions and services at Spotsylvania Court House, Sanders was promoted to brigadier general on May 31, 1864 under the section of the Confederate law permitting the appointment of temporary general officers. Sanders was given command of a brigade of Alabama regiments formerly commanded by Brigadier General Cadmus M. Wilcox.

Source: Wiki
******************************************************************************************************************
Bonus: Emerson Opdyke

Last edited by a moderator:
Born in 1840, I was a 20 year old college student when my state seceded. I was wounded in the leg at Frazier’s Farm and was out of commission for a month. When I returned to the brigade, I found myself the ranking officer of the regiment – a result of attrition. I led my regiment at Second Manassas. I was promoted to major and again led my regiment at Sharpsburg, where I was slightly wounded in the face. I was promoted to colonel at the age of 22. I led my regiment at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, where I was wounded in the knee and out of commission for 5 months. When I returned, I found myself senior colonel of the brigade, but promotion to Brigadier General was withheld because of my age. After Spotsylvania, I finally received that promotion. I later bled to death at the age of 24 when my femoral arteries were severed at Globe Tavern.

Who am I? And what Regiment did I command?

credit: @lelliott19

Bonus: my cousin vinny , a union brigadier general ?

Identify:
View attachment 106262

main: John Caldwell Calhoun Sanders, 11th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry, and Sanders's Brigade (8th,9th,10th,11th,and 14th Alabama).

John Caldwell Calhoun Sanders is the man he led 11th Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry

Edit - Correct answer for the main question, Astin Murphy.

Welcome to the trivia game. Hope you'll come back and play again.

If you haven't done so already, you're invited to stop by the New Recruits Meet & Greet forum and introduce yourself to some more CivilWarTalkers.

Hoosier

John Caldwell Calhoun Sanders, 11th Alabama Infantry (Wilcox’s Brigade, Anderson’s Division, AP Hill’s Corps, ANV)

Source: History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography, Volume 4, Thomas McAdory Owen & Marie Bankhead Owen, S. J. Clarke publishing Company, 1921, page 1496. https://books.google.com/books?id=R2Z5AAAAMAAJ&q=Calhoun+Sanders#v=snippet&q=Calhoun Sanders&f=false

bonus - Brig. Gen. Emerson Opdycke

Samuel Emerson Opdycke (1830–1884) volunteered in 1861 and commanded the 125th Ohio Infantry defending the horseshoe at Chickamauga, a demi-brigade assaulting Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga and a brigade counterattacking at Franklin. For his initiative at the later he was breveted Major General. Returning to civil life in 66, living in New York City, he was killed by an accidental gunshot while cleaning a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back