Trivia 8-21-15 Where are the People From & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1860, there were 4.1 million immigrants whom arrived in the U.S. The 4.1 million made up more than 13 percent of the total population: Ireland- 1.6 million, Germany- 1.2 million, and other Western Europe- 900,000 (Scotland and England.) Compare with current stats: 2013 immigrants who make up 28% of the 41.3 million in United States.
Bonus: Andy's grandfather, Thomas Devine Sr., was born in Ireland, and emigrated to the United States in 1852. Andy's mother was Amy Ward, the granddaughter of Commander James H. Ward, the first officer of the United States Navy killed during the Civil War.

Edit - Ireland may have provided the most immigrants during 1860, but the question asked which provided the most immigrants during the five-year period 1860-64.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot find a specific source for this time frame and I would be dubious of any source that covers just four years, rather than a census period. So, my official answer will be Ireland.

Bonuts - Andy's mother was the granddaughter of Commodore James Ward, U.S.N. Commodore Ward, Andy's great grandfather, was the first U.S. navy officer killed during the Civil War, according to many sources.

The Irish fleeing the famines of 1861-1864

Bonus: Andy's mother was the granddaughter of James Ward, the first Union naval officer to be killed in the Civil War...if the question is to be understood.

Bonus- James H Ward was the first naval officer killed during the civil war. He was Andy Devine's maternal great grandfather.

Main question: Ireland held the distinction of being the country from which the greatest number of U. S. immigrants came during 1841-1850 and it held the same distinction during 1851-1860.

I'm not sure about the period 1860-1864, but I'll guess it was Ireland again.

Bonus question: I am interpreting this question to be asking for the name of a Civil War figure to which Andy Devine and his mother were related, and the relationship of that figure to the two of them.

Under that interpretation, my answer is U.S. Navy Commander James H. Ward, who was Andy's great-grandfather and his mother's grandfather.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2015-08-24-17-08-04.png

I forgot to give credit for the bonus question, and now I can't remember who submitted the question.

Can the question providor pm me please

Answer: Germany

bonus answer: Andy's mother, Amy Ward, the grand daughter of Commander James H. Ward, the first officer of the United States Navy killed during the Civil War. Also, he is the great-grand father of Andy Devine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back