Trivia 8-15-16 Ambushed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryan Grimes, 1828-1880
On the afternoon of 14 Aug. 1880, General Grimes was returning to Grimesland, in his buggy from "Little Washington," as it was then called, where he had been to attend the Beaufort County political convention and to take care of some business. His only companion was twelve-year-old Bryan Satterthwaite, the son of a neighbor. While they were crossing Bear Creek, approximately four miles from Grimesland, the gun of a concealed assassin was discharged, killing Grimes instantly. Young Satterthwaite drove to the nearest neighbor and received assistance in taking the dead man home. A few days later funeral services were held at Grimes's residence. After burial services at the Episcopal church, he was interred in the family burying grounds about three hundred yards from his residence.
source: http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/grimes/bio.html

General Bryan Grimes.

Attachments

• Bgrimes.jpg
    Bgrimes.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 71
Brigadier Gen. Bryan Grimes, Jr. Killed in 1880 by an unknown person hired byWilliam Parker.

Edit - Some sources indicate that Parker was the person who did the killing, rather than the one who hired the killer; however, the question only asked for the name of the former general who was killed and you got that part right, so you get credit for a correct answer.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk and to the trivia game, Frums.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
My brain was faster than my eyes - missed the 15 years and had just finished reading Stonewall of the West so had General Cleburne on my mind! Next time!

Edit - DBF, players are allowed to change their original answers, as long as they enter the revision before the thread is closed. One other player did just that in this thread.

Your final answer is the one that will determine whether you get credit for a correct answer or not.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back