7th Cavalry Company F Under Col. Turner Ashby

smackwheat

Cadet
I am in search of any information on my Great Great Grandfather James Thomas Lease 1842-1910. From what I can find out, he was a Private in Company F (also known as The Mountain Rangers) of the 7th Cavalry under Col Turner Ashby. (Confederate). He signed up for duty in Romney, Virginia. He lost an arm and was discharged on 5-10-1862. He recovered from his wounds at Staunton Hospital( this is where he met his future wife, Mary Jane Criss (or Crist). I have been to the Civil War Hospital Museum in Frederick, MD, but this was before I knew this little bit of information. I would like to know if there are any records from This Staunton Hospital in Virginia, and if so how do I go about attaining them? It would be even greater to find, dare I say it, a picture of the Company? Thanks for welcoming a newbie to this group, looks like a great site.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Here are his records from fold3:
Page 1.jpg Page 2.jpg Page 3.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum smackwheat.

Company A of the 7th Virginia Cavalry was known as the Fauquier Mountain Rangers and Company F the Hampshire Riflemen.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/7th_Regiment,_Virginia_Cavalry_(Ashby's)_(Confederate)

Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.

Company A (Fauquier Mountain Rangers)

Company B (1st)(Howard Dragoons) - many men from Howard County, Maryland

Company B (2nd) (Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles) - many men fromRockingham County

Company C (Shenandoah Rangers) - many men from Shenandoah County

Company D (Captain Macon Jordan) - many men from Page County

Company E (Bowen's Mounted Rangers) (also called The Front Royal Company)

Company F (Hampshire Riflemen) (also known as New Creek Riflemen) - many men from Hampshire County, Hardy County and Maryland

Company G ( Mason Rangers) - many men from Maryland

Company H (1st) (Brock's Gap Sharpshooters) - many men fromRockingham County

Company H (2nd) (Captain John C. Shoup) - many men from Rockingham County

Company I (Captain E. A. Shands) - many men from Rockingham County

Company K ( Captain William Miller) - many men from Shenandoah County

Flag of Company A, 7th Virginia Cavalry.

7075111161_b359e105a9.jpg

Confederate Company photographs are extremely rare and to the best of my knowledge none exist for the 7th Virginia Cavalry.

Back