Trivia 7-31-15 Who am I & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Who Am I?
After I became 'famous' and two years after my death, a monument was erected to honor me on a civil war battlefield. It is located in the approximate spot where, as a teenager, I served coffee to my comrades during combat. Who am I and on what battlefield is the monument located?

credit: @lelliott19

Friday Bonus:

True or False
The Confederate Captain wore a shoulder strip that had a solid blue field with a gold border?

credit: @Seduzal

Too easy for me, as I am originally from Canton, Ohio.

William McKinley

Bonus is FALSE, because it also had three (3) gold stars

Edit - You are correct that the famous person described in the question was William McKinley, but you failed to answer the second part of the question, which asked where the monument is located.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Infantry captain or naval captain? Early war or later after Confederate uniforms were standardized?

Confederate naval captain - TRUE, the should board or strap was a blue field with gold surround http://confederateuniforms.org/conun/confederateuniforms-cn01.php
Expired Image Removed

For Infantry - FALSE and TRUE, depending upon the time and the meaning of "Confederate". For example, it's true for Mississippi troops in 1861:
Expired Image Removed
It's also true for many Confederate captains who wore formerly National Army jackets before Confederate government regulations were established.

However it is False considering the national Confederate regulations issued in June 1861 that rank insignia were to be worn on the collar and not on shoulder boards or straps at all. Confederate units switched fairly quickly so by the end of 1862 it's probable that all Confederate captains did not use shoulder boards or straps.

Here's a picture from May 1862 of Custer with a former (Confederate) classmate, a Lieutenant who is still wearing shoulder straps.
foto.jpg

William McKinley, with the monument being at Antietam.

As for the bonus, the answer is False. The Confederate Army didn´t use shoulder straps ... though this didn´t keep several units and indivuals from certain states to do so.

However, a Captain in the Confederate Navy had a shoulder strip with a blue field and gold border, though with three stars in it.

Antietam near Sharpsburg, Maryland marks the spot where, as a teenager in 1862, the future President William McKinley served coffee to his comrades during combat.

Shoulder Boards...from My Reporter...
Under regulations adopted by the Confederate War Department on June 6, 1861, officers were supposed to wear their rank insignia on their uniform collars or on the lapels of their open-colored jackets, according to Robert Hancock, senior curator with the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Va.

Earlier in the war, however, anything went, Hancock added. Former U.S. Army officers sometimes wore their old uniforms onto the battlefield; militia units and state troops sometimes wore old-style uniforms, which might have carried shoulder boards.

The Georgia militia was infamous for marching into battle at First Bull Run in blue uniforms, creating some confusion in the field.

At the start of the war, the Wilmington Light Infantry, the elite local militia unit, wore green uniforms, noted historian Chris Fonvielle from the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

After the June 6, 1861, regulations were handed down, though, most Confederate soldiers “fell into line quickly,” Hancock said. Gettysburg, fought on July 1-3, 1863, would have been a little late for Confederate shoulder boards.

The Confederacy adopted rank insignia that were substantially different from the Union’s. Confederate second lieutenants wore a single horizontal bar, usually gold, 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long. First lieutenants wore two horizontal bars, side by side. Captains wore three bars, with no space between them.

The re-enactor wears U.S;-style captain’s bars, like the ones still used by the Army and Marine Corps.

A major wore a single gold star, measuring 1-1/4 inches in diameter. A lieutenant colonel wore two stars of the same style, side by aide. A colonel wore three stars. Generals of all ranks were signified by a gold wreath surrounding a gold star 1-1/4 inches in diameter, flanked by two smaller gold stars, 1/4 inch in diameter.

Rank was indicated, somewhat more approximately, by the gold braid on an officer’s sleeve. Lieutenants wore one strand of braid, captains wore two, field-grade officers (majors and colonels) wore three and generals wore four.

A complete summary of Confederate regulations on ranks and insignia can be found in an appendix to Volume III of “Lee’s Lieutenants: A Study in Command” by Douglas Southall Freeman.

This poor re-enactor did get a couple of things right: The facings, or cuffs, on his uniform jacket are red, the emblem of the artillery. Each branch or arm of the Confederate army had a different facing color: light blue for infantry, yellow for cavalry, black for medical officers and buff for engineers and other staff officers.

And on Jan. 24, 1862, the Confederacy officially adopted the French-style kepi, or circular visored cap, similar to one worn by most enlisted soldiers and many officers in the Union army. Our re-enactor in the photo is wearing an example. In practice, however, “the kepi was seldom seen,” Freeman wrote. Most Confederate soldiers and officers wore broad-brimmed, civilian-style hats.

Nevertheless, the Confederate regulations went into some detail on the kepi, specifying the amount of braid that were to appear on a kepi, in case anyone wore one: one strand for lieutenants, two for captains, three for field-grade officers and four for generals.

Those were the rules. Again, however, Confederate soldiers were considerably more casual about following them than their Union counterparts. Robert E. Lee, for example, appears in some wartime photos wearing what appear to be a colonel’s insignia.

Uniforms were even more varied, when they appeared at all, for militia, State Guard units and other formations well away from Richmond. In Texas, for example – where troops liberated thousands of yards of blue fabric after seizing the federal depot at San Antonio – Confederate forces wore blue uniforms well into 1863.

Officially, uniforms were supposed to be cadet gray. As the war wore on, however, homespun butternut – a nut-brown color – was much more common in the ranks.

Thus, it’s impossible to say that no Confederate officer ever sported shoulder boards – although it’s highly unlikely.

Who Am I?
After I became 'famous' and two years after my death, a monument was erected to honor me on a civil war battlefield. It is located in the approximate spot where, as a teenager, I served coffee to my comrades during combat. Who am I and on what battlefield is the monument located?

credit: @lelliott19

Friday Bonus:

True or False
The Confederate Captain wore a shoulder strip that had a solid blue field with a gold border?

credit: @Seduzal
William McKinley---Antietam. ///Bonus: False.

Main question: William McKinley. The monument is located on the Antietam (Sharpsburg) battlefield.
Bonus: False. Confederate Captains, like other Confederate officers, wore their insignia on their collars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back