Trivia 6-6-25-15 Did my time, took my chances, Went the distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st Minnesota

media.jpg

Reactions: OVI
Presumably the safest bet is to answer for both Federal and Confederate governments although "first" claims are sometimes more numerous than just one.

The First Minnesota claims that honor on the Federal Side. The state governor was in DC and privy to Lincoln's first call for 75,000 troops the day before it was issued. He immediately committed to providing 1,000 men and sent messages to St. Paul which were received on the day Lincoln's call was published.

Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars, 1861-1865, Volume 1
upload_2015-6-25_10-38-43.png

This became known at St Paul during the day (of Lincoln's call) and at a meeting of the Pioneer Guards of that city held on that evening at its armory the matter was discussed and several members signed a paper agreeing to enlist under the call. Josias E King afterward orderly sergeant of Company A and after repeated promotions becoming captain of Company G of the First Minnesota Regiment was the first to sign the paper and therefore claims the honor of being the senior volunteer in the United States service in the Civil War https://books.google.com/books?id=0hMSjgpc1CEC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=First+regiment+tendered+for+service+in+the+us+civil+war&source=bl&ots=v9Z74-Iuuj&sig=Jaw-0TN4xE8IQYVEKNe6iVw_yxc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fw-MVeqXKIydNvyPgrgN&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=pRESIDENT%20LINCOLN&f=false

On the Confederate side (from Let Us Die Like Brave Men), the Savannah Company of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry claims primacy:

upload_2015-6-25_10-46-39.png

https://books.google.com/books?id=8...dNuSLg-gF&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

What was the first regiment tendered to government service at the beginning of the Civil War?

credit: @Seduzal
1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry...April 14, 1861......Since I joined the forum, I have heard about many members living near battlefields and their ancestors in the East. I'm proud to have grown up in the state (MN) that volunteered 1st in the Civil War. At least there is a bit of satisfaction in that.:smoke:.

6th Pennsylvania Militia

Edit - The only sources I could find in searching for "6th Pennsylvania Militia" indicated that it was called in September 1862 (as were a number of other Pennsylvania Militia regiments), after the Army of Northern Virginia had moved into Maryland.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back