1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

58 caliber minie ball ballistics

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by edward, Feb 27, 2013.

1. edward

edward Guest

I would like to know the ballistics of the 58 caliber rifle minie ball. Bullet weight in grains, typical muzzle velocity and muzzle energy. I have a display with two of them and want to add the onfo on a label. Thanks to anyone that can help. I recently joined your organization. ED LACKEY

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bob Owen

Bob Owen Captain Trivia Game Winner

Ed, repost under your membership. We have a host of experts on the matter on this forum. Thanks.

4. Ken S

Ken S Cadet

.58 MINI ballistics.
    BOOM. up up higher higher... fall fall fall fall THUMP! all this in 100 yards....

ok..975 fps with 60 grains 1, 1/2 Elephant BP (service charge) 510 grain mini traditional shape, pure lead.
    out of an Original Springfield in near 'very very nice' condition, it shoots 2 inch groups, 3 inches above center aim point at 50 yards . at 100 yards I think I'm hitting the ground, but that's as close as I can come. I'm still working on getting used to sighting it. Clean every 5 shots or so to keep things even. Bullet is .585 , yeah, big, but it fits the bore and is accurate.
    nice steady recoil, good crack of the shot...and if I listen reallllyyyyy hard, I can hear a Rebel Yell.....Ken

5. ed lackey

ed lackey Cadet

Thanks for the information. Still having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what the muzzle energy is in ft-lbs. ED

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)