5-20-16 Way Down South & Bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main Q: No idea what the desired response is for this Q? :unsure: It could apply to any number of deep south Unionists. Maybe a Floridian since its says "In the deepest part of the Confederate south?" If I have time, I may try to locate a possible answer and post with a source.

Bonus: Franklin Buchanan -
Captain of Perry's steamship Susquehanna on the mission to Japan

Here is one Florida Unionist example that seems to fit:

William McCullough, a Polk County (FL) pioneer and Unionist was harassed by local Regulators to join the Confederate service. His cabin was built "in such a manner that one man mite keep off ten or 15 men, provided he had 4 or 5 guns, the resolution to use them, and a wife with a heart to load as fast as he could shoot them." William's bride Nancy, a pioneer woman, had such a heart. McCullough's enemies drove off his cattle, finally forcing him to hide out for six weeks, during which time his wife and seven children subsisted on palmetto cabbages seasoned with tallow and salt. He later claimed that during his renegade days, his wife was frequently forced to walk two miles to find food, wading through waist deep water part of the way, her two month old baby in her arms. McCullough finally joined the Union forces in 1864 and was stationed at Cedar Key, where he was frequently disgusted with his comrade's behavior.
https://books.google.com/books?id=U...q=civil war unionist Florida harassed&f=false pp 87-88.

For the original question, I´m not sure.

The deepest part could be southern Florida, howeverthe taunts could mean Benjamin Butler. If we look on Florida and standing loyal it should mean a southerner; which for Florida we have e.g. Martin D. Hardin, but he served in the east and not in the south. Another southerner serving in Florida would be John Newton, but he served there only late in the war, not all the war through. There would be John M. Brannan, but he was from D.C.

Of course, going into the abstract you could also talk about Fort Pickens or Fort Zachary Taylor or others that remained under Union control during the war. To vague for me to be sure, so I don´t know.

In the deepest part of the Confederate south
Where no roads, or rivers, or rails are about
I stood loyal and remained Union Blue
I withstood Rebel taunts all the war through.
What is my name?

credit: @Gene Green

Bonus:
I was the captain of one of Matthew C. Perry’s steamships on his historic mission to Japan, and was one of the leaders of reform in the antebellum U.S. Navy. My state did not secede, but I did. Who am I?

credit: @Mark F. Jenkins
Newton Knight (?)....BONUS/// Franklin Buchanan.

Main question - I thought it might be Sam Houston, but he did not survive "all the war through," so it doesn't seem that he would be the correct answer.

Can't come up with anything else based on the clues given. I'll have to pass on this one.

Bonus question - Franklin Buchanan

Last edited:
Answer: Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West, FL
sources: http://www.ancestorsremembered.com/Capt Dave/Chapter III. Key West during the Civil War.html

bonus: A: Franklin Buchanan

Edit - The main question was very poetic. It was also very vague.

We have a lot of questions on the trivia game that ask for the identification of people. Clearly, many of our players thought this question was asking for the identification of a person, as well. Given the final clue, "I withstood Rebel taunts..." I would say that was the most likely interpretation. And even the players who recognized that the question might not be asking about a person weren't sure whether it was asking about a fort, a city, or a county.

The result was that we had a great variety of different answers.

Unfortunately, it just is not going to be possible for me to verify whether all those different people, counties, and/or cities matched all the specifications given in the question about not being close to any roads, rivers, or railroads, or whether they should be considered to be located in the deepest part of the South, or whether they remained loyal to Union Blue all the war through.

For that reason, I am discarding the main question. The bonus question is the only one that will be scored for May 20.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back