Trivia 4-25-16 Horsing Around & Special Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excerpt from a genuine Meade letter:

To Mrs. George G. Meade

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, April 24, 1864.
Tomorrow I will send Old Baldy to Philadelphia. He will never be fit again for hard service, and I thought he was entitled to better care than could be given to him on the march.

Expired Image Removed

Bonus:
That indefatigable would-be preventer of Civil War was Jefferson Davis. Evidently he was just a year short of success.

Regular question:

oldbaldy.jpg

Old Baldy
http://www.ushistory.org/oddities/oldbaldy.htm

Bonus question by me

Meade's favorite horse was Baldy (AKA Old Baldy)
Bonus:
Jefferson Davis
President-Jefferson-Davis.jpg

"I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came."

Baldy, also known as Old Baldy.
Source: Philadelphia Oddities

Bonus: According to a number of quotation websites and blogs, Jefferson Davis allegedly said "I worked night and day for 12 years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, and would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came."

General George G. Meade's favorite horse?
"Old Baldy"
250px-Baldy.jpg
PAPHIbaldy_gar1_320x480.jpg

Fascinating stories about "Old Baldy"
read wiki
and the link below
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2983

Bonus:
Jefferson Davis
, President of the Confederacy

At Richmond replying to Jaques -Gilmore mission, unofficial delegates from Washington trying to end the war between the states,
the quote of Jefferson continues " . . . . unless you acknowledge our right to self-government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for independence, and that, or extermination, we will have."

Gilmore had taken notes, reported to Lincoln. Lincoln used Gilmore as a spokesman to give a "press release" to a Boston newspaper and more detailed article in the "Atlantic Monthly". Lincoln is said to have reviewed and edited the drafts before publication.

The first part of the quote is often taken out of context and the setting is rarely mentioned.
The delegates were not confirmed and Jefferson only met them after they were thoroughly interrogated
by Confederate Secretary of War, Judiah P. Benjamin

War of Words: Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War Press, by Harry J. Maihafer
https://books.google.com/books?id=M...rked night and day to prevent the war&f=false

upload_2016-4-25_10-28-7.jpg

Baldy or Old Baldy.
Baldy was born and raised on the western frontier and at the start of the Civil War was owned by Maj. Gen. David Hunter. His name during this period is unknown. It is said that he was wounded anywhere from five to 14 times during the war, starting at the First Battle of Bull Run, where he was struck in the nose by a piece of an artillery shell. Soon after, in September 1861, he was purchased from the government by Meade in Washington, D.C., for $150 and named Baldy because of his white face.

Despite Baldy's unusual, uncomfortable pace, Meade became quite devoted to him and rode him in all of his battles through 1862 and the spring of 1863. The horse was wounded in the right hind leg at the Second Battle of Bull Run, and at Antietam, he was wounded through the neck and left for dead on the field. He survived and was treated. At Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863, Baldy was hit by a bullet that entered his stomach after passing through Meade's right trouser leg. He staggered and refused to move forward, defying all of Meade's directions. Meade commented, "Baldy is done for this time. This is the first time he has refused to go forward under fire."[citation needed] Baldy was sent to the rear for recuperation. In 1864, having returned to duty for the Overland Campaign
and the Siege of Petersburg, he was struck in the ribs by a shell at the Weldon Railroad, and Meade decided that Old Baldy should be retired.
His last parade was as the "riderless horse" in the funeral procession of his master, in November 1872. Baldy lived another 10 years. He was euthanized on December 16, 1882, at the age of 30, when he became too feeble to stand. On Christmas Day of that year, two Union Army veterans (Albert C. Johnston and H.W.B. Harvey) disinterred Baldy's remains and decapitated him, sending the head to a taxidermist. (Wikipedia)

Bonus: Jefferson F. Davis ""I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. The North was mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came." This part of a much longer quote that I am unable to find in a format that allows me to copy it. It was made, I believe, in July of 1864 to a reporter. Davis insists that the Confederacy will fight until there is no one left standing. Interestingly, he reverses his earlier claims, by stating that the was is not about slavery, but about independence. Why did the South need to be independent, except to protect and preserve slavery? Hmmm....:cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back