Trivia 4-21-16 Who am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was the first man appointed to the USMA West Point from my adopted young home-state. Despite the high expectations I left without graduating - I became an officer in the army nonetheless. Joining the South when the war started my first command consisted, not counting officers, of 9 men. Staying in the west I was part of a staff when my general was mortally wounded on the same day and place the great western What-If died. Becoming a regimental commander afterwards I became mobile and not. I was not meeting expectations again in 1864. When all elements were against me 3 days were all I got before being made immobile until the end of the war. Going westwards again I spent the rest of my days working for mobility and shine. Who am I?

Credit: @GELongstreet

I was the first man appointed to the USMA West Point from my adopted young home-state. Despite the high expectations I left without graduating - I became an officer in the army nonetheless. Joining the South when the war started my first command consisted, not counting officers, of 9 men. Staying in the west I was part of a staff when my general was mortally wounded on the same day and place the great western What-If died. Becoming a regimental commander afterwards I became mobile and not. I was not meeting expectations again in 1864. When all elements were against me 3 days were all I got before being made immobile until the end of the war. Going westwards again I spent the rest of my days working for mobility and shine. Who am I?

Credit: @GELongstreet
Charles DeWitt Anderson.

Charles DeWitt Anderson
(July 7, 1828 – November 21, 1901)

In 1846 Anderson became the first Texan appointed to the United States Military Academy at West Point. He had been recommended by Texas' founder, Sam Houston, . . .

Anderson struggled academically at West Point; during his sophomore year he was found "deficient" in both French and mathematics, . . .

Despite this, in 1856 Anderson was directly commissioned into the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant on June 27.

??? . . . "my first command consisted, not counting officers, of 9 men." . . . ???

At the beginning of the American Civil War in 1861, Anderson chose to follow his home state and the Confederate cause. On March 16 he was appointed a first lieutenant in the Regular Confederate Artillery.[6] His first assignment was at Fort Morgan, guarding the entrance to Mobile Bay, Alabama. There he was given command a regular detachment, organized separately from the volunteer forces but attached to the 2nd Alabama Infantry, and was responsible for the installation's ordnance. His total force consisted of the remaining regular recruits from the Mount Vernon Arsenal in Alabama, and numbered only two officers and nine enlisted men.

??? ". . . I was part of a staff when my general was mortally wounded
" What-If " . . ???
Shiloh ?,,,

. . . . staff of Brig. Gen. Adley H. Gladden, . . . during the Battle of Shiloh, Anderson acted as his assistant adjutant general,
but following Gladden's death in the battle the staff was broken up.

? ". . . I became mobile and not." ? ???. .
The following month Anderson took command of the 21st Alabama Infantry, elected its colonel on May 8. The regiment became part of the defenses of Mobile, with Anderson commanding it for the remainder of 1862, all of 1863, and into 1864.[8]

? ". . . When all elements were against me 3 days were all I got before being made immobile until the end of the war . . . " ???
Upon the Union bombardment of Fort Gaines, Anderson's men (mostly "a superfluous number of conscripts and reservists, many mere boys, who could find no shelter from the shelling.") realizing his command was about to mutiny he conceded defeat on August 8, after three days of shelling.[8]

??? " . . . . I spent the rest of my days working for mobility and shine. ". . . ??? railroads and lighthouses

Returning to Texas after the conflict ended in 1865, Anderson found work in the construction of railroads. He was then elected for two terms as Austin's chief engineer. Anderson next went back to Galveston, Texas, where he built the Galveston Island Lighthouse.

Anderson spent the last six years of his life again on the federal payroll, as keeper of the Fort Point Lighthouse.
anderson.png
https://deadconfederates.com/2011/05/27/headstones-and-the-stories-untold/

various sources West Point appointments, CSA West Point education, wiki

Great question, play on words and word phrases :frantic:

Question submission credit. I´m sorry if an appearingly somewhat strange vocabulary makes it difficult for you - in some cases it can be blamed on the fact that English is not my mother language and I´m really sorry for those words that distract, mislead or are simply wrong. However most of them are chosen with a purpose ... the keyword for those who need it is: keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back