Trivia 4-14-16 Turned Down Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rufus R. Dawes who like me, has no middle name. So, the R stands for nothing other than itself. At the end of the war, he was a LT. Colonel.

He used the middle initial "R", but had NO Middle name.
Colonel - July 5th 1864. Mustered Out Aug 10th 1864.
Bvt. Brig.General USV- Nov 21st 1865 (War Service )

Edit - Welcome to the trivia game, Virginian Sharpshooter.

This was a bit of a confusing question, since it was a three-part question and there were several possible correct answers to the third part (which asked about Dawes' rank).

Actually, "colonel" was not one of the possible correct answers - that was the rank which he was offered, but refused.

However, since this is your first time playing and "brevet brigadier general" was one of the correct answers (and since you correctly specified his name in a subsequent post), you will get credit for a correct answer. Be cautioned, however, that it is generally not a good idea to give two or more different answers to a single part of a question, because in the future, if you do that, you will be marked wrong if any of the answers is incorrect.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, in my above answer, I am wrong when I said that Rufus R Dawes ended the war as a LT. Colonel. I couldn't find the delete button, so please ignore. In fact, he was a brevet brigadier general by the end of the war and this is my final answer.

I was an officer in the famed Iron Brigade with a middle initial of "R." After the battle of Gettysburg, I was offered a promotion but declined it.
Questions: What is my name, what did my middle initial stand for, and what was my rank at the end of the war?

credit: @1stMN
Rufus R. Dawes...Library of Congress says the "R" stands for Robinson...Brevet Brig. General at war's end.

Rufus R. Dawes (July 4, 1838 – August 2, 1899) was a military officer in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He used the middle initial "R" but had no middle name. He was noted for his service in the famed Iron Brigade, particularly during the Battle of Gettysburg
Lt. Col. when he mustered out.
On February 24, 1866, President Andrew Johnson nominated Dawes for appointment to the grade of brevet brigadier general of volunteers to rank from March 13, 1865, and the United States Senate confirmed the appointment on April 10, 1866

General Rufus R. Dawes and his rank at the end of the war was Brevet Brigadier General

Edit - Welcome to the trivia game and to CivilWarTalk, Savannah1889.

Unfortunately, I can't give you credit for a correct answer, since the question also asked what the R stood for. Even though a correct answer is that it didn't stand for anything, you needed to say that in your response.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Rufus Dawes. Trick question. He didn't actually have a middle name.

On February 24, 1866, President Andrew Johnson nominated Dawes for appointment to the grade of brevet brigadier general of volunteers to rank from March 13, 1865, and the United States Senate Confirmed the appointment on April 10, 1866

Some neat pre war and post wars images:
7A086BEF-CD17-4444-94A0-69A993D00741.jpg

81401569-99DC-4836-8160-D21F8CA25F61.jpg

Rufus Dawes

Edit - The question also asked what Dawes' middle initial stood for and what his rank was at the end of the war.

Hoosier

Your name is Rufus R. Dawes. Your middle initial didn't stand for anything - you didn't have a middle name, you just used the initial R.

Your rank is sort of ambiguous. You were a lieutenant colonel at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. Afterward, you declined promotion to full colonel, so you remained a lieutenant colonel until you were mustered out of the Army in August 1864. However, in February 1866, President Johnson nominated you to the rank of brevet brigadier general, to rank from March 13, 1865, and that appointment was subsequently approved by the Senate.

So my answer to the question is that since you were out of the Army at the time the war ended, you had no rank - you were a civilian. But I have a feeling that some of our players will respond that you were a lieutenant colonel and others will respond that, even though you didn't know it at the time, subsequent actions officially made you a brigadier general as of the end of the war. I intend to accept any one of the three answers.

Answer: Rufus Dawes, nothing, Bvt. Brig. General

Edit - Several players indicated that somewhere in the vast resources of the Library of Congress there is a reference indicating that Dawes actually did have a middle name and the R stood for Robinson, so I will accept that answer, as well.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back