Trivia 4-13-15 That's Odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
In September 2012, an example of an unusual artifact of the Civil War sold for more than $1,000. Identify this battlefield oddity

Credit: @Northern Light

What is this artifact? It is made up of one Union and one Confederate bullet, the two bullets met in mid flight between the two lines and fused together. There are a number of such "fused" bullets on display in Civil War museums across the country. One such bullet sold for over 1000 dollars in September of 2012.

"A very interesting artifact has been found at a number of American Civil War battlefields, including Gettysburg. What is this artifact? It is made up of one Union and one Confederate bullet, the two bullets met in mid flight between the two lines and fused together. There are a number of such "fused" bullets on display in Civil War museums across the country. One such bullet sold for over 1000 dollars in September of 2012."
http://www.americancivilwarstory.com/strange-and-interesting-civil-war-facts.html

• A very interesting artifact has been found at a number of American Civil War battlefields, including Gettysburg. What is this artifact? It is made up of one Union and one Confederate bullet, the two bullets met in mid flight between the two lines and fused together. There are a number of such "fused" bullets on display in Civil War museums across the country. One such bullet sold for over 1000 dollars in September of 2012.

A rare pair of Fused Bullets From Antietam's Cornfield sold in September 2012 for more than $1000.
47_318_med.jpg

http://www.americancivilwarstory.com/strange-and-interesting-civil-war-facts.html
http://www.hcaauctions.com/fused-bullets-from-antietams-cornfield-lot30913.aspx

A fused bullet artifact - a Confederate bullet and a Union bullet which met in midair between the lines and fused together - sold in September 2012 for over $1000.

Gettysburg electric battlefield map.

Edit - Technically, I suppose that since the Electric Map did not exist during the Civil War, it should be considered a "20th century Civil-War related artifact," rather than a "Civil War artifact."

I had thought that the Electric Map was sitting in a storehouse somewhere (probably on the next aisle over from the Lost Ark :smile:), but when I checked the Internet, I found a 2012 Philadelphia Inquirer article reporting that the Electric Map was, indeed, sold at auction during September 2012 for a price of more than $1,000 (actually, $14,000). The article reported that the purchaser was a businessman who indicated that he planned to restore it and put it on display in Hanover, PA. I can't find any reference indicating that the project has ever been completed, but I suppose it's possible that it may still happen someday.

Because I always liked the Electric Map and I appreciate Copperhead-mi's finding this information, I'm going to accept this answer as correct.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer : Federal and confederate bullets that collided in mid-air and fused together. A very interesting artifact has been found at a number of American Civil War battlefields, including Gettysburg. What is this artifact? It is made up of one Union and one Confederate bullet, the two bullets met in mid flight between the two lines and fused together. There are a number of such "fused" bullets on display in Civil War museums across the country. One such bullet sold for over 1000 dollars in September of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back