3D Sterescopic photos of Rebel Generals

Aussie Billy Sherman

First Sergeant
To add to the previous thread I just added, I couldn't help but add this one also. It also occurs to me that I hope Chubachus is ok with me posting some of his work here. If he isn't, I apologize and will ask for it to be removed. But its just a great effort that I thought should be shared with the people here.
So this video shows portraits of some confederate generals that many may be familiar with. But now seen in a different way than you might have ever seen. Whatever way Chubachus has done this, I can only commend him for his fine work.
For me, the effects added to these portraits really bring to life these fellows from the past. Especially the eyes really look alive when it comes to the Longstreet pics.

Personally I have never been a big fan of 3D "wobbles", but I appreciate the effort that he took to find the images and make the video.

This was done by alternating between the left/right images from images that are stereo pairs (have a view for the left/right eye).

If you want to do the same thing yourself you can do it three ways (that I can think of), I am going from hardest to easiest.

1. You could simply alternate between the two images on a video editing program such as movie maker. Have it display each image for 1/10 of a second (or any desired period of time) and then do the same with the alternate image. You would need to repeat this as long as you wanted the image to appear. So if you want it to be on the screen for 5 seconds you would need to have the left image showing 25 times and the right 25 times as well. While it is possible it would be VERY tedious.
  2. Next you could do it in Photoshop. You would need to open the left/right image and then save it as an animated GIF. There are a number of tutorials on YouTube this one is pretty short and should work with most versions of Photoshop in the last few years.
  3. The easy way would be to take and load the left/right image into a program such as Stereo Photo Maker, crop to the desired final image and then choose File, Make GIF animation, choose the amount of flipping between the two images and save.
Regardless of the method you choose the result would be the same. The advantage to using option 2/3 is that the output file is very small and can be loaded onto a web page, option 1 would be a movie that would be very large and not easy to share.

Each image is exactly the same except in some cases one image is slightly altered to the right.

Actually each image has the same subject, but the two images are completely different. There are slight variations between the two that allow for the 3D effect to occur. This means that when I restore & colorize an image that is stereo I have to do both separately and cannot use the work I did on the other image.

Back