Trivia #28 First Shot (10/28/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Tonight's Civil War Trivia Question Value: 10 points.
This question will be open until Thursday at about 9:30am EDT
New Questions are Posted Every Night at 9:30pm EDT
Please do not post your answers anywhere but in this forum! This includes you FACEBOOK users!
Name the location where you can go to see what is purportedly the first shot fired at Fort Sumter beginning the American Civil War.
Post your answers BELOW. Good Luck!
If you have a Civil War book, or perhaps some other interesting Civil War product you'd like to promote by giving it away as a trivia prize, contact the Webmaster, Mike Kendra

From Browns Guide to Georgia:

Georgia’s connection to this important event is a unique artifact located on the southeast corner of the Upson County Courthouse in Thomaston: a cannonball purported to be the first shot hurled at Fort Sumter.

Below the cannonball, etched onto a marble medallion, is the Seal of the Confederacy and beneath it the story, engraved onto a marble base:

“FIRST CANNONBALL FIRED AT OUTBREAK OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES, AT FORT SUMTER, APRIL 12, 1861.

- See more at: http://www.brownsguides.com/blog/shot-that-started-the-civil-war/#sthash.PDM40uQj.dpuf

If you mean Edmund Ruffin's the answer is Fort Johnson, but if you mean Henry Farley's, then the answer is James Island.

Edit - The photo supplied with post # 19 shows that what is at the site of Fort Johnson on James Island is a marker indicating the spot from which the first shot was fired - but neither the shot itself nor anything purporting to be the shot itself is there to be seen.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
The cannon that fired the first shot was from Cummings Point, Morris Island South Carolina. The "shot" or cannonball is in Upson County Georgia. Georgia’s connection to this important event is a unique artifact located on the southeast corner of the Upson County Courthouse in Thomaston: a cannonball purported to be the first shot hurled at Fort Sumter. - See more at: http://www.brownsguides.com/blog/shot-that-started-the-civil-war/#sthash.fm1v21hl.dpuf

Fort Sumter National Monument

Edit - This is a really nice picture of a sign that talks about the first shot, but there isn't anything saying that the artillery projectile mounted on the sign purports to be the first shot.

Hoosier

2013-10-05_sc_3431.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
According to what I could find, the first shot fired at Fort Sumter was a shell that exploded in the air above the fort, so there wouldn't be much left of it to see now. But the question says "purportedly", so apparently somebody has something that is purported to be the first shot, even if the source I found indicates that it really isn't the first shot.

I can't find anything about what object is purported to be the first shot or where it is located, so I will just take a wild guess and say it's at The Citadel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back