26th North Carolina Monument

tlyne

Private
image_zpsf3ltotmn.jpg

Nice photos.

I highly recommend taking the small hike down to Willoughby Run. There is a small trail behind the 26th NC monument.
Once you reach the small creek, turn around and imagine charging back up the hill towards the 26th NC monument.
Many men were hit on July 1 when they ascended this same hill as they met the 24th Michigan.

Much has been written about casualty losses during the CW. Unfortunately the discussion is based on individual regiments. The Iron Brigade fought several regiments on that fateful day so the 24th Michigan's losses weren't all by the 26 NC. But the combined casualties of the 26 NC and the 24 Mi have to be up there.

FYI, I live around 150 miles west of Gettysburg. I come straight out route 30 on almost every trip. So after the 3 hour drive, I need to stretch my legs and frequently do the above Willoughby Run hike.

I would never doubt the amount of casualties taken by North Carolina or the South that has been one of the biggest problems getting actual numbers during the conflict they really Put down the numbers and by was and they were too disgusted to think about it to this day I believe the South lost probably an additional 50,000 unaccounted for.

I would never doubt the amount of casualties taken by North Carolina or the South that has been one of the biggest problems getting actual numbers during the conflict they really Put down the numbers and by was and they were too disgusted to think about it to this day I believe the South lost probably an additional 50,000 unaccounted for.

The estimated casualties have revised downward for North Carolina in recent years. The same is probably true for other states as well.
http://www.nccivilwar150.com/features/nc-civil-war_death-study.htm

Back