Trivia 2-21-17 Who am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
This confederate soldier would write his wife on June 28th, 1863 as he was passing through Fayetteville, PA: "The people are frightened to death and will do anything we intimate to them . . I really did not believe that there was so much difference between our ladies and their females, I have seen no ladies." Unfortunately, he would be wounded on the 2nd day of battle at Gettysburg and would die within the month. Who am I?

credit: @DBF

General William Dorsey Pender

Fayetteville, Penn.

June 28th 1863

My dearest Wife

Our mail came in today and the only think I heard from you was that four letters had reached Shocco the day after left. We are resting today after marching 157 miles since leaving Fredericksburg twelve days ago yesterday. If I had an surety that you would get this in a reasonable time, I should have a good deal to tell you.

Until we crossed the Md. line our men behaved as well as troops could, but here it will be hard to restrain them, for they have an idea that they are to indulge in unlicensed plunder. They have done nothing like the Yankees do in our country. They take poultry and hogs but in most cases pay our money for it. We take everything we want for government use. The people are frightened to death and will do anything we intimate to them. The rascals have been expected us and have run off most of their stock and goods. I bought a few articles for you yesterday and will get you a nice lot before we leave. We pay about 200 percent.

I am tired of invasions for altho’ they have made us suffer all that people can suffer, I cannot get my resentment to that point to make me feel indifferent to what you see here. But for the demoralizing effect plundering would have on our troops, they would feel war in all its horrors. I never saw people so badly scared. We have only to wish for a thing and it is done. I have made up my mind to enjoy no hospitality or kindness from any of them.

Everything seems to be going on finely. We might get to Phila. without a fight, I believe, if we should choose to go. Gen. Lee intimates to no one what he is up to, and we can only surmise. I hope we may be in Harrisburg in three day. What a fine commentary upon their 90 days crushing out, if we should march to the Capital of one of their largest states without a blow. It seems to be the impression that hooker will not leave Washington, but will leave the states to take care of themselves.

We are in Adams Co., having marched through Franklin. If we do not succeed in accomplishing a great deal all of us will be surprised. Our men seem to be in the spirit and feel confident. They laugh at the idea of meeting the militia. This is a most magnificent country to look at, but the most miserable people. I have yet to see a nice looking lady. They are coarse and dirty, and the number of dirty looking children is perfectly astonishing. A great many of the women go barefooted and but a small fraction wear stockings. I hope we may never have such people. Nearly all of them seem to be tenants and at first I thought all the better people must have left. And such barns I never dreamt of. Their dwelling houses are large and comfortable, looking from the outside – have not been inside – but such coarse louts that live in them. I really did not believe that there was so much difference between our ladies and their females. I have seen no ladies. We passed through Hagerstown but saw little Southern feeling displayed. The fact is the people in the NW Md. are as much of the Dutch Yankee as these, and I do not want them.

I hope you reached home safely and feel satisfied with me, and see that this time at least, you did not leave camp much too soon.

I never saw troops march as our do; they will go 15 or 20 miles a day without leaving a straggle and hoop and yell on all occasions. Confidence and good spirits seem to possess everyone. I wish we could meet Hooker and have the matter settled at once. We got the Richmond papers of the 14th today and they bring us good news from Vicksburg. This campaign will do one of two things: viz – to cause a speedy peace or a more tremendous war that we have had, the former may God grant.

Joe enters into the invasion with much gusto and is quite active in looking up hidden property. In fact the negroes seem to have more feeling in the matter than the white men and have come to the conclusion that they will impress horses, etc., etc. to any amount. Columbus is laying in a stock for his sweetheart and sisters. Gen. Hill thus far has managed the march of his Corps and I think will give as much satisfaction as Lt. Gen’l as he did as Maj. Gen’l.

My love to all and keep my folks in Edgecombe posted as to my well being. Write to me occasionally through S. Cooper, A. and I. Gen’l Richmond.

Now darling, may our Good Father protect us and preserve us to each other to a good old age. Tell Turner I have a pretty pair of low patent leather shoes with heels for him.

Your loving husband.

W. D. Pender. Letter to his wife, June 28th 1863

"I have yet to see a nice looking lady. They are coarse and dirty....a great many of the women go barefooted and but a small fraction wear stockings. I hope we may never have such people."

I guess Pender wasn't very observant at home then?

Source: One of Lee's Best Men: The Civil War Letters of General William Dorsey Pender edited by William W. Hassler

William Dorsey Pender

upload_2017-2-21_15-24-26.jpeg

https://books.google.de/books?id=qa... will do anything we intimate to them&f=false

Confederate Major General William Dorsey Pender wrote those words in a letter to his wife Fanny. He was wounded in the thigh by a shell fragment on July 2, 1863 at Gettysburg. Although successfully evacuated to Staunton VA, he died from a hemorrhage resulting from a ruptured artery on July 18, 1863.

In Jan 1864, Robert E Lee wrote "The loss of Major-General Pender is severely felt by the army and the country. He served with this army from the beginning of the war, and took a distinguished part in all its engagements. Wounded on several occasions, he never left his command in action until he received the injury that resulted in his death. His promise and usefulness as an officer were only equaled by the purity and excellence of his private life."

One of Lee's Best Men: The Civil War Letters of General William Dorsey Pender, page 253. https://books.google.com/books?id=qa2Rpbw57CwC

You are Major General William Dorsey Pender

Pender in PA: This is a most magnificent country to look at, but the most miserable people. I have yet to see a nice looking lady.

Fayetteville, Penn.

June 28th 1863

My dearest Wife

Our mail came in today and the only think I heard from you was that four letters had reached Shocco the day after left. We are resting today after marching 157 miles since leaving Fredericksburg twelve days ago yesterday. If I had an surety that you would get this in a reasonable time, I should have a good deal to tell you.

Until we crossed the Md. line our men behaved as well as troops could, but here it will be hard to restrain them, for they have an idea that they are to indulge in unlicensed plunder. They have done nothing like the Yankees do in our country. They take poultry and hogs but in most cases pay our money for it. We take everything we want for government use. The people are frightened to death and will do anything we intimate to them. The rascals have been expected us and have run off most of their stock and goods. I bought a few articles for you yesterday and will get you a nice lot before we leave. We pay about 200 percent.

I am tired of invasions for altho’ they have made us suffer all that people can suffer, I cannot get my resentment to that point to make me feel indifferent to what you see here. But for the demoralizing effect plundering would have on our troops, they would feel war in all its horrors. I never saw people so badly scared. We have only to wish for a thing and it is done. I have made up my mind to enjoy no hospitality or kindness from any of them.

Everything seems to be going on finely. We might get to Phila. without a fight, I believe, if we should choose to go. Gen. Lee intimates to no one what he is up to, and we can only surmise. I hope we may be in Harrisburg in three day. What a fine commentary upon their 90 days crushing out, if we should march to the Capital of one of their largest states without a blow. It seems to be the impression that hooker will not leave Washington, but will leave the states to take care of themselves.

We are in Adams Co., having marched through Franklin. If we do not succeed in accomplishing a great deal all of us will be surprised. Our men seem to be in the spirit and feel confident. They laugh at the idea of meeting the militia. This is a most magnificent country to look at, but the most miserable people. I have yet to see a nice looking lady. They are coarse and dirty, and the number of dirty looking children is perfectly astonishing. A great many of the women go barefooted and but a small fraction wear stockings. I hope we may never have such people. Nearly all of them seem to be tenants and at first I thought all the better people must have left. And such barns I never dreamt of. Their dwelling houses are large and comfortable, looking from the outside – have not been inside – but such coarse louts that live in them. I really did not believe that there was so much difference between our ladies and their females. I have seen no ladies. We passed through Hagerstown but saw little Southern feeling displayed. The fact is the people in the NW Md. are as much of the Dutch Yankee as these, and I do not want them.

I hope you reached home safely and feel satisfied with me, and see that this time at least, you did not leave camp much too soon.

I never saw troops march as our do; they will go 15 or 20 miles a day without leaving a straggle and hoop and yell on all occasions. Confidence and good spirits seem to possess everyone. I wish we could meet Hooker and have the matter settled at once. We got the Richmond papers of the 14th today and they bring us good news from Vicksburg. This campaign will do one of two things: viz – to cause a speedy peace or a more tremendous war that we have had, the former may God grant.

Joe enters into the invasion with much gusto and is quite active in looking up hidden property. In fact the negroes seem to have more feeling in the matter than the white men and have come to the conclusion that they will impress horses, etc., etc. to any amount. Columbus is laying in a stock for his sweetheart and sisters. Gen. Hill thus far has managed the march of his Corps and I think will give as much satisfaction as Lt. Gen’l as he did as Maj. Gen’l.

My love to all and keep my folks in Edgecombe posted as to my well being. Write to me occasionally through S. Cooper, A. and I. Gen’l Richmond.

Now darling, may our Good Father protect us and preserve us to each other to a good old age. Tell Turner I have a pretty pair of low patent leather shoes with heels for him.

Your loving husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back