1st Type Martially marked Henry Model 1860 lever action rifle #3924

pennt

Cadet
A friend recently acquired a very nice Henry.

The 'scuttlebutt' that accompanied this gun was based on the correct # within the serial range of the guns procured by the Federal Govt., further it was first issued to the 1st DC Cavalry and then reissued to Pvt. Robert Staples, Co. K, 3rd Veterans Vol. Infantry. I wanted to help him confirm this fact (?) before he orders the records on this soldier. Are there serial # records available on Henry's?

The gun is what it is.........the extra 'sizzle'........??

Many thanks for the help !! Pennt

Hi, Congrats to your friend. There is no complete records on the Henry. Your serial number is however listed in "The Historic Henry Rifle" by Wiley Sword as reported by 3rd Regiment US Vet. Vol. in 1865 Companies B,C.I.H.K. I find nothing with a name to attribute who carried this Henry. Not to say that records may exist. In " The Henry Rifle" by Les Quick martially marked were "C.G.C." on right barrel flat just in front of receiver , "H" /and or "C"on right receiver flat just behind barrel. Butt plate also "H" or "C" . All these and other markings were subject to wear. It would have a birth date in second half of 1863. There are many details that changed during the course of New Haven Arms manufacturing the 1860 Henry. Also many markings by manufacture themselves to verify. I own 2541 which could very well have been associated with 66th Ill. Birge's W.S.S. , but no record to prove same. John

Hi, Congrats to your friend. There is no complete records on the Henry. Your serial number is however listed in "The Historic Henry Rifle" by Wiley Sword as reported by 3rd Regiment US Vet. Vol. in 1865 Companies B,C.I.H.K. I find nothing with a name to attribute who carried this Henry. Not to say that records may exist. In " The Henry Rifle" by Les Quick martially marked were "C.G.C." on right barrel flat just in front of receiver , "H" /and or "C"on right receiver flat just behind barrel. Butt plate also "H" or "C" . All these and other markings were subject to wear. It would have a birth date in second half of 1863. There are many details that changed during the course of New Haven Arms manufacturing the 1860 Henry. Also many markings by manufacture themselves to verify. I own 2541 which could very well have been associated with 66th Ill. Birge's W.S.S. , but no record to prove same. John
Many thanks John for the info and your assistance. pennt

Back