1st Battalion (Stirman's) Ark. Cavalry Co. E -Need help

RGollaher

Cadet
I am hoping someone will be willing to help me. I am doing genealogy and can not find one of my ancestors. I believe he may have died during the Vicksburg Campaign. I am at a loss on how to find information on him if any. I will give all the info. I have in hopes that someone will be willing to help me solve the mystery if possible.

Thomas Gollaher
b. abt. 1840 in Illinois.
Was living with his father (Henry Gollaher) and family in the 1860 census in Prairie, Washington, Ark..
I could not find him after the 1860 census.

I then saw that there was a Thomas Gollaher that enlisted in Fayetteville, Ark. The information I have is based off a copy of a abstract card.
Thomas Gollaher
Enlisted - Oct. 9, 1861, Fayetteville Ark by Major William H. Brooks.
Enlisted with - 1st Battalion (Stirman's) Arkansas Cavalry Co. E.
Private
Last paid - Capt. Calhoun on Dec. 31, 1862
Muster Roll - Jan. & Feb. 1863
Present
Card no.- 44777494

The reason why I assume he died. There are filed court records in about 1878 to confirm the children of Henry Gollaher when he died and Thomas Gollaher is not mentioned at all.

I appreciate any help at all.
Thank you,
Rene'

I am hoping someone will be willing to help me. I am doing genealogy and can not find one of my ancestors. I believe he may have died during the Vicksburg Campaign. I am at a loss on how to find information on him if any. I will give all the info. I have in hopes that someone will be willing to help me solve the mystery if possible.

Thomas Gollaher
b. abt. 1840 in Illinois.
Was living with his father (Henry Gollaher) and family in the 1860 census in Prairie, Washington, Ark..
I could not find him after the 1860 census.

I then saw that there was a Thomas Gollaher that enlisted in Fayetteville, Ark. The information I have is based off a copy of a abstract card.
Thomas Gollaher
Enlisted - Oct. 9, 1861, Fayetteville Ark by Major William H. Brooks.
Enlisted with - 1st Battalion (Stirman's) Arkansas Cavalry Co. E.
Private
Last paid - Capt. Calhoun on Dec. 31, 1862
Muster Roll - Jan. & Feb. 1863
Present
Card no.- 44777494

The reason why I assume he died. There are filed court records in about 1878 to confirm the children of Henry Gollaher when he died and Thomas Gollaher is not mentioned at all.

I appreciate any help at all.
Thank you,
Rene'

Welcome.
http://ranger95.com/civil_war/arkan...rooks_stirmans/1st_cav_bn_brooks_stirman.html

Thank you for the link.
On the roster when it shows "Rank In" and "Rank Out". Do you know what "Rank Out" really means. Does that imply they survived? Or, can it really imply anything, alive or dead.?

Thank you for the link.
On the roster when it shows "Rank In" and "Rank Out". Do you know what "Rank Out" really means. Does that imply they survived? Or, can it really imply anything, alive or dead.?

I believe it can imply either. His rank when mustered out, or his rank at the time of his death. I don't have access to fold 3, but I can see there's only two file cards in his record. That would usually indicate he died in service, or deserted. There was a good deal of Union sentiment in the n.w.corner of Arkansas. Several men from that area, after being conscripted into the southern army, deserted and joined Union units raised in Arkansas. I failed to find him among their rosters.

I don't have access to fold 3, but I can see there's only two file cards in his record. That would usually indicate he died in service, or deserted.

I don't think that applies to cavalry records. I find many regiments where they only have 1 or 2 records. I attribute that to their muster roll was lost or captured during one of their raids.

Back