1927 photo from the Lee Camp Home for Confederate Soldiers.

Great photo CSAToday. Here is a photo of the CS Vets home at Beauvoir. My GGG Grandfather (MG Wells) looking at the photo 2nd floor, left side 2nd man from the right. Unfortunately Beauvoir was destroyed by Katrina but has been rebuilt but many things were lost.

csvetsbeauvoir.png

Any name info with the picture? One of my "boys" would've been at the Home during that time.

That's a great photo! It's pretty well staged and the nice old gents did a wonderful job posing for it. In this day and age, I would credit a good art director for working with these gents and this photographer. After seeing and surveying the faces, my eye was drawn to the board game. At first, I asked myself: "Backgammon? Is that possible?" And then I answered myself: "No...I'm pretty sure they're playing checkers." I just think it's nice that, in this bygone era, aging gentlemen dressed in suits and ties even when they were going out to play checkers with their buddies. Well shined shoes, too. A gentleman NEVER goes out in scuffy shoes........

I want to say one more thing about photos of this nature. It's a separate concept altogether, so I'll post it separately.
Nowadays, we fairly commonly see a few old veterans from the WWII or the Korean War era. We see lots of VietNam vets, too. Some of these guys might seem as quaint to us as the old gentlemen in the lead photo of this thread, but don't be fooled. These guys were tough soldiers in their day. There are darned few people nowadays who would be willing to go up against the twenty-year-old incarnations of these men!

What a great photo. This was taken the year my dad was born.

I just think it's nice that, in this bygone era, aging gentlemen dressed in suits and ties even when they were going out to play checkers with their buddies. Well shined shoes, too. A gentleman NEVER goes out in scuffy shoes........
Ah yes. :smile: My Grandpa was always dressed nicely, and he always wore a hat. These men remind me of him.

What a great photo. This was taken the year my dad was born.

That was my first thought as well. My Mom was born in December of 1927. She grew up with many of these old gents.
She still mentions one of her Great Uncles that was a Confederate Veteran, he didn't talk about the War . . . but knew how to entertain little kids.

150 plus years sounds like ancient history to some, but we still have many alive that knew the veterans.

The War was not as long ago as we think.

Back