1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

1863 Video - Fake?

Discussion in 'Civil War Photography' started by Joshua Horn, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Joshua Horn

Joshua Horn Sergeant

I saw a link to this video, purportedly a clip of Confederate troops marching filmed in 1863 by a French inventor named Léon-Alexandre Cànular. I'm really skeptical as it doesn't look at all like other early video, and I could find no info on the purported inventor.

Zuzah likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Zuzah

Zuzah Sergeant Major Forum Host

If at a time when photography took several seconds just to come out somewhat clear, I severely doubt there ever was a camera-invention. We didn't have that until 1878, and that was a series of images taken with an insanely quick shutter time, so I guess that doesn't count.

Either way, I severely doubt there ever was any 'lost videos' or 'lost photographs in color found in a damp Virginia cellar', or something like that (I stole that title from a YouTube video, don't sue me).

4. 101combatvet

101combatvet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

a happy farm in Maryland or a friendly Co-Op in NY
    Don't you mean film? Yes... it is fake.

5. Rebel from Finland

Rebel from Finland First Sergeant

This has been posted here before, and I recall that it was doomed as a fake, and somebody knew even the re-enacting event that this was filmed in and then make it look like old one.

Nathanb1 likes this.
  6. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

If I remember correctly, I watched the comparison footage somewhere of the original film of the reenactment. It then played again showing this film after the effects were added. I'll take a look and see if I can find it again.

Rebel from Finland likes this.
  7. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

Here's the original footage, from about 1:17 to 1:50.

Rebel from Finland likes this.
  8. Dugger

Dugger Banned

Fake.

Not to be more obnoxious than normal but cant you "nactors" pass some kinda rule, stipulation, law, or whatever than no one over 250/300 pounds can actively participate in an official re-enactment of some great Civil War event? Heh. Sorry, kidding, just me. How they gonna run 300 yards with the bayonet leveled? Heck, they be dead after 100 yards. By the way.....I qualify....drop stone dead after 50 yards if it over 85 degrees. Fair?:smile coffee:

Diana9 and leftyhunter like this.
  9. Robtweb1

Robtweb1 2nd Lieutenant Retired Moderator Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Film wasn't invented yet.

10. Pvt.Shattuck

Pvt.Shattuck First Sergeant

grapevine (2).jpg Quartermaster-Joseph-th.jpg engambulance.jpg 27268v.jpg general James Denver.jpg

Attached Files:

11. 4th-MSM

4th-MSM Sergeant

I laughed at some of the comments under the fake version on Youtube:

"So is this the only legitamate civil war footage in existance?"

"Absolutely astounding no matter how long it is.. wow."

"Somehow, the term "priceless" seems terribly trite. This is beyond priceless. This is breathtaking."

etc. etc.

If they only knew they could have seen it in person in 2008!

:rofl:

Nathanb1 and Rebel from Finland like this.
  12. Zuzah

Zuzah Sergeant Major Forum Host

13. Pvt.Shattuck

Camp%20Scene%20.jpg
    I started collecting photographs of CW fat men precisely because they were so unusual. Marching 15 miles a day on 10 pcs. of hardtack and a hunk of meat will slim you down quick. To say nothing of chopping wood, carrying water, building works, and all the other strenuous physical labor. Let's not forget nearly universal chronic diarrhea. Besides, these soldiers were 18-25 years old, back when most of us were rail thin, too.
    The heavier ones are nearly all either QM dept., cooks, early militia, or older officers.
    What good is expensive handmade reproduction clothing and equipment if you are fat and gray? The impression won't work. Did you ever see the size of the CW uniforms in museums? It looks like the boys department.
    You were definitely right, Zuzah and I was just having some fun.

Attached Files:

kealbo54, leftyhunter and rhp6033 like this.
  14. Republican Blues

Republican Blues Sergeant Major

This video again? I posted on this, and it got deleted as did anything tht was critical of the provenance of this piece of Garbage (on the youtube page) It's from 145th Gettysburg....I was there

15. James B White

James B White 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Here are the standard uniform measurements for US uniforms: http://www.cjdaley.com/issuesizes.htm

Numbers #2 and #3 were issued in the largest amounts, if I recall correctly, though sizes outside the 1-4 range could be ordered. All the different clothing items are listed at the link, but here's coats:

Untitled-1.jpg

16. Pvt.Shattuck

This is Phebe Dunn, P.T. Barnum's "fat lady", advertised as 420 lbs. (I suspect she was at least 100 lbs. lighter than that). She was considered a circus freak. It's not unusual to see ladies her size today and much bigger at any Wal-mart or shopping mall in the U.S.
    Our country suffers from a massive health care crisis and it's called obesity. The medical costs from conditions directly related to obesity are bankrupting us.... OK, I'm in the health care industry and I'll get off my soap box now. Fat re-enactors are the least of our problems.
    phebe dunn.jpg

leftyhunter and James B White like this.
  17. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

I just can't see how anyone would think it would even be possible for there to be a motion picture of Confederate troops... after all, movies are commonly associated (albeit not quite correctly) with Thomas Edison, and he's clearly post-Civil War. It should be astounding enough that there was battlefield photography and stereo images! (not to mention genuine footage of veterans' gatherings)

Reminds me a little of that bizarre bit in Burke Davis's The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts that someone in the 1950s claimed that the Confederates had launched a two-stage rocket, ostensibly to hit Washington, but missed and that there could be a C.S.A. satellite still in orbit. :rofl:

Robtweb1 and leftyhunter like this.
  18. ForeverFree

ForeverFree 1st Lieutenant

Yeah, there's nothing in Wiki for this guy (a French inventor named Léon-Alexandre Cànular), and his name doesn't even come up in Google search (save for his name appearing in the text for the YouTube video). Now, I don't want to fall into the trap of "if it's not in Wiki or Google, it doesn't exist." But you'd think there'd be something about this guy somewhere on the net, and nothing is out there. This is bogus.

- Alan

19. reading48

reading48 1st Lieutenant

i Don't think Edison invented motion pictures that Early

20. lakertaker

lakertaker First Sergeant

Have read the veteran Union troops called the new recruits "heavies."

Pvt.Shattuck likes this.
  21. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

That's my point. If you ask a random person who invented movies, they'll likely say Edison. But Edison was post-Civil War, so there shouldn't be any general expectation of movies existing at the time of the Civil War (regardless of the fact that Edison didn't really invent movies).

Of course, I may be giving the general public too much credit for knowing even that much history. :O o:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)