1863 Springfield

Cornpone and Molasses

First Sergeant
Got this one for under $50. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to remove some rust with a file. Debating on if I sould leave it this way, or to try and restore it. Uually I like to leave them the way I find them, but I believe this one is beyond any real collector value. Lock plate is toast and there is a small crack in the stock. Wish they just left the pitting. Bore is OK.
20150915_224433-600x1067.jpg

Last edited:
Well worth $50. If you ever get tired of looking at it and decide to part with it for close to that, I'd drop the cash and run before you changed your mind.
Lol. Looks good propped up in the corner of the room. :wink:
Should I throw any money into it, or leave it the way Father Time has graced it?

Lol. Looks good propped up in the corner of the room. :wink:
Should I throw any money into it, or leave it the way Father Time has graced it?
Depends on what you want to do with it. If it were me, I'd give it a thorough oiling, and hang it over the mantle. Great conversation piece.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If it were me, I'd give it a thorough oiling, and hang it over the mantle. Great conversation piece.
That's funny...When I brought it home my wife asked me if I was going to hang it on the wall. I was very shocked to say the least as she just barely tolerates my collecting, and is not really a gun person.
I'm leaning towards leaving it be unless I could find an original lockplate and a rear sight down the road.

Wow. Thank you Sir!
No problem at all. I've done business with that company many times. I've never gotten anything I didn't pay for. They have many others. That was the first good looking piece I saw for a link. You may find better with a few minutes browsing. The last thing I bought from them was a main spring for an 1860 army Colt. Cost $12, which was twice the price of a repro, and it was original and in great condition. The value $12 added to that piece was over 100x what I paid for the part. Times like that its worth putting a few bucks in an old piece.

Last edited:
It is not a real prize, but for what you paid it is. If the bore is good, a rear sight and a little lock work or new lock, go out and shoot it, you may be surprised what a little handling will do to it.
If you were my boy you and took a file to it, I would elevate your rear with my boot.
A little raw linseed oil and turpentine, flood it and rub hard with a course cloth, wipe it dry every couple weeks repeat a few times will also do wonders, if you are shooting it with loose powder and minies, fill the cavity with Crisco and get your fingers greasy will also give it that look, preferably on a hot summer day.

The crazy thing is this is considered a firearm in NJ. No C&R is recognised in this state. Can't wait until the day my wife and I move to the South...
That's why some of us refer to it as the" People's Republic of NJ. " :help:
IMHO, since the musket is already buggered up, go ahead and restore it. Make it look as it should be. You can get parts from S & S Firearms in Staten Island, or Lodgewood Mfg. in Wisc. Both excellent sources.

It is not a real prize, but for what you paid it is. If the bore is good, a rear sight and a little lock work or new lock, go out and shoot it, you may be surprised what a little handling will do to it.
If you were my boy you and took a file to it, I would elevate your rear with my boot.
A little raw linseed oil and turpentine, flood it and rub hard with a course cloth, wipe it dry every couple weeks repeat a few times will also do wonders, if you are shooting it with loose powder and minies, fill the cavity with Crisco and get your fingers greasy will also give it that look, preferably on a hot summer day.
Hi Frank, thanks for all of those great tips. The stock is in need of all the help it could get.

That's why some of us refer to it as the" People's Republic of NJ. " :help:
IMHO, since the musket is already buggered up, go ahead and restore it. Make it look as it should be. You can get parts from S & S Firearms in Staten Island, or Lodgewood Mfg. in Wisc. Both excellent sources.
I know...I know. There are not too many states that have it worse then us with gun laws. Thanks for the info.

Jobe it is not that bad, I guess. I wish whoever had it before me didn't try to remove the rust. Want to keep it as original as possible if I can. Thanks.

Back