1851 Colt Navy metallurgy?

gben

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently picked up a Colt Navy 1851 pistol #124xxx and I was wondering what sort of metallurgy it has as far as what alloy steels were used in it and what sort of heat treatment it was given, even what sort of equipment it was machined with would be interesting to know.

It will need a bit of work to get it in shape and I was just trying to learn all I can about it.

Thanks in advance.....

How about some reference material ? Two different articles I read said that Colt and Remington offered steel barrels and cylinders by the time of the Civil War.

Here she is. I was hoping to shoot it, but if it is made of iron it would be hard to repair, steel is a lot more friendly.The gap between the cylinder and barrel is pretty big, and it at least need new nipples and maybe some hammer work. I put a couple caps an acquaintance lent me on the best looking nipples and the hammer did not set them off. I guess the smart thing to do is to shoot the replicas that are out. Back in the late 60s/early 70s my father had a "Navy Arms" replica of this pistol which I watched him shoot. It jammed up from pieces of the caps getting in the monkey-works so he was not thrilled with it and got rid of it. This is a wonderful pistol to hold and look at, and trying to imagine what it has seen is humbling. I think this one was made the year Sam Colt died, maybe he laid eyes on it as he walked around his shop? I guess after making it 154 years it deserves to rest in peace as a part of history:

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed

I note that there is no top-strap on this model. The history amongst the people I shoot with is not good regarding shooting a weapon of this age, made of iron & lacking a top-strap.

Also, it was a "black powder" gun. Mid-1800s and reproductions were/are for black powder, and neither should be risked using modern powders because modern powders create higher pressure within the firearms, potentially causing the gun to explode. .... I highly recommend getting a quality reproduction Colt Army, and using the appropriate/recommended caps and powder. ..... I highly recommend the book by David Smith, titled, "The Civil War Reenactors Blackpowder Guide" http://www.regtqm.com/product-p/book-016.htm ................... Please Safety first.

This is a wonderful pistol to hold and look at, and trying to imagine what it has seen is humbling.

You have a nice pistol. I would also recommend you not fire it with "live round". I'm sure you could pack it so as to reduce the pressure inside the barrel but the gaps and loose cylinder and barrel could be unsafe. The Colt is one of my favorite pistols in the feel and balance. If you want to enjoy shooting this gun you should get a replica. Some replicas have a different shape of the grip which I don't like. I don't have a Colt so I can't advise on what manufacture to purchase.

Back to the metalurgy question. Good question and I don't know the answer. I just know that no gun is made of pure iron. There has to be some other metals added and carbon is added when working it. If you know a machinist, they can do a hardness test but it will leave a tiny dimple in the gun.

A Rockwell, or Brinell, Hardness Test will not tell you anything about the alloy. But, you are righte about "leaving a mark"! I do agree with previous posts, why would anyone want to start welding on an antique Colt revolver just so they could shoot it?
J.

I was wondering what sort of metallurgy it has as far as what alloy steels were used in it and what sort of heat treatment it was given, even what sort of equipment it was machined with would be interesting to know.

Even though there have been countless books and articles written about Colt firearms, the fastest way to get answers to your questions is to contact Colt Firearms. I am sure they would be happy to answer your questions.

I recently picked up a Colt Navy 1851 pistol #124xxx

Manufactured 1862-ish. http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup

If you really want to know more, get a factory letter.
http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Archive-Services
https://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Archive-Services/Archive-Letter-Online-Order-Form

I guess the smart thing to do is to shoot the replicas that are out.

Seconding what the others have said; shoot the replicas, retire & admire the originals.

In the clearing stands a boxer,
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
And cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame,
"I am leaving, I am leaving."
But the fighter still remains

It will need a bit of work to get it in shape and I was just trying to learn all I can about it.

What exactly do you foresee by 'getting back into shape'? Personally, I think every scrape, nick and dent is an integral part of an artifact's history.

Lodgewood is a good group to contact about that http://www.lodgewood.com/Restoration_c_97.html

Turnbull is another www.turnbullmfg.com/

What exactly do you foresee by 'getting back into shape'? Personally, I think every scrape, nick and dent is an integral part of an artifact's history.

When I first got it I thought I might be able to put new cap nipples on the cylinder and shoot it, then I figured maybe I would just shoot caps, now I figure I should not do a **** thing except maybe lube it up so it does not rust and hold it while I watch cowboy movies.

When I first got it I thought I might be able to put new cap nipples on the cylinder and shoot it, then I figured maybe I would just shoot caps, now I figure I should not do a **** thing except maybe lube it up so it does not rust and hold it while I watch cowboy movies.
that sounds like a plan - don't forget booze from a bottle without a label :smile:

Last edited:
Back