1850 foot officers sword curious markings

Ronald

Cadet
As a recent member to your forums, I hope that I am doing this correctly. I have had, what I think is, an 1850 pattern foot officer's sword (no scabbard) for over 30 years. It was in very bad shape when I first got it and have carefully cleaned it over the years. I got the rust and corrosion, but so much for the patina. I have been unable to identify the markings. On the front side of the hilt is stamped L-(a star)-H. Just below that is the number 35. I recently read an article that Louis Haiman (LH) (maybe) sometimes used a star along with his mark. I suspect that the 35 is a manufacture number or a rack number. There are no other markings near the hilt, on the blade where you normally see makers marks, etc. Other interesting items; there is engraving on the blade, but no letters or numbers, just faint scroll work or foliage. There is also some engraving on the top of the blade. All engraving seems to be somewhat crude, not refined engraving. The fuller runs from against the hilt until about an inch from the point. Any thoughts?
pic1.JPG pic2.JPG pic3.JPG pic4.JPG

It looks like a M1850 foot officer sword, but many countries, including of course France, used essentially the same design, all copied from the French Mle 1845 Infantry Officer sword. I do not recognize the "L (Star) H" marking, but perhaps one of our other members will. It would help if you could provide better pictures - the ones posted are so tiny and low resolution it is hard to see much. Recommend you include a full-length shot, a close up of the whole hilt, and a close up of the ricasso area. I take it the etching on the blade may not be clear enough to photograph. From your description, however, it sounds rather generic and lacking any U.S. specific motifs. Almost all US M1850s have an American eagle of of some type on one side of the blade and a "U.S." on the other, but there are exceptions. You mention there is engraving on the spine of the blade. Does it look like script writing? The French often marked the spine of their swords with the name of the maker and the date.

It looks like a M1850 foot officer sword, but many countries, including of course France, used essentially the same design, all copied from the French Mle 1845 Infantry Officer sword. I do not recognize the "L (Star) H" marking, but perhaps one of our other members will. It would help if you could provide better pictures - the ones posted are so tiny and low resolution it is hard to see much. Recommend you include a full-length shot, a close up of the whole hilt, and a close up of the ricasso area. I take it the etching on the blade may not be clear enough to photograph. From your description, however, it sounds rather generic and lacking any U.S. specific motifs. Almost all US M1850s have an American eagle of of some type on one side of the blade and a "U.S." on the other, but there are exceptions. You mention there is engraving on the spine of the blade. Does it look like script writing? The French often marked the spine of their swords with the name of the maker and the date.

Thanks. I will work on the pictures. No script on the spine, just (what appears) to be a continuation of the scrolling or "vines".

I have tried to provide some better pictures of the sword. Also, from looking at the L-(star)-H, they appear to be individually stamped, not a single stamp. I also tried to provide a picture of the engraving on the blade.IMG_3690.JPG IMG_3691.JPG IMG_3692.JPG IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG If these are still too small, I can upload as full images.

I agree with @Richard E. Schenk with no US or Eagle and any other US military scrolling it appears to be an import.

Thanks for the good photos. With these you can see this is a French Mle 1845 infantry sword, not a M1850 Foot Officer sword. The key identifying factor is the distinctive quill back tip. This being said, however, I doubt this was made for a French officer. It lacks the inspector marks and the manufacturer signature/model info on the spine as usually found on French Army swords. Further, most Mle 1845 French officer swords had horn grips; I don't think I've seen one with shagreen. Your sword is therefore likely an export, quite possibly to either the Union or Confederacy. If we could identify the "L (star) H" marking on the hilt it might give us the answer. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue. Are you familiar with the Sword Forum International site? I would suggest you also post your question there; they have a lot of knowledgable folks who might be able to help.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the info. I am not familiar with that forum, but will look into it. I have another sword that I need assistance with, but need to take care of some other issues first. Again, thanks.

I could be totally wrong but I wouldn't jump to fast to think it's European maybe not a offices and sword but how about early in the war when the artillery man carried a similar looking sidearms.

Back