14th VA Infantry Co B Muster Role

PDC

Cadet
Hello. I am a newbie to this board and was wondering if anybody had a muster role of the Bedford Rifle Grays.

Trying to find info on Daniels, Bates and Witts.

Thanks

The best information on Company B soldiers during the war is obtained from the Compiled Service Records (CSRs), which can be obtained online from Fold3 for a fee, but to make things easier, I would suggest first identifying Company B soldiers from a roster compiled in the book, 14th Virginia Infantry, by Edward R. Crews, part of The Virginia Regimental Histories Series (Lynchburg, VA: H. E. Howard, Inc., 1995), which includes a condensed version of the CSRs at the end of the book. Information on Company B soldiers who participated at the battle of Gettysburg can be obtained from the book, Nothing But Glory, by Kathy Georg Harrison and John W. Busey (Gettysburg, PA: Thomas Publications), which lists the men from Pickett's Division.

Reactions: PDC
The best information on Company B soldiers during the war is obtained from the Compiled Service Records (CSRs), which can be obtained online from Fold3 for a fee, but to make things easier, I would suggest first identifying Company B soldiers from a roster compiled in the book, 14th Virginia Infantry, by Edward R. Crews, part of The Virginia Regimental Histories Series (Lynchburg, VA: H. E. Howard, Inc., 1995), which includes a condensed version of the CSRs at the end of the book. Information on Company B soldiers who participated at the battle of Gettysburg can be obtained from the book, Nothing But Glory, by Kathy Georg Harrison and John W. Busey (Gettysburg, PA: Thomas Publications), which lists the men from Pickett's Division.

Welcome to the forum PDC.

Tom pretty much said it all.

logo.JPG

Reactions: PDC
Thanks guys for responding! Very interested in finding more about my family and what they did during the war.

Please give us the full names of your ancestors who served with the 14th Virginia.

Thanks guys for responding! Very interested in finding more about my family and what they did during the war.

Hope these are the correct men :

- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series :

Caleb Witt

Residence was not listed; a 32 year-old Miller.

Enlisted on 4/24/1861 at Fancy Grove, VA as a Private.

On 4/24/1861 he mustered into "B" Co.VA 14th infantry
He was Killed on 7/1/1862 at Malvern Hill, VA

He was listed as:
* Absent, sick 7/15/1861 Suffolk, VA (Estimated day)
* On rolls 6/15/1862 (place not stated)

Promotions:
* 3rd Lieut 5/3/1862 (Declined commission)
* 2nd Sergt 5/6/1862
........................................................................................
J W. Daniels

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted as a Private (date unknown).

He was listed as:
* Paroled 5/15/1865 Columbia (Estimated day)

He also had service in:
A Company 14th VA Infantry
.......................................................................................
John C. Bates

Enlisted on 7/2/1861 at Jamestown Island, VA as a Private.

On 7/2/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. VA 14th Infantry.
He died on 8/8/1864 at Hospital, Chester Station, VA

He was listed as:
* Sick 6/29/1862 (place not stated) (Sick at camp)
* AWOL 2/21/1863 (place not stated)
* Returned 3/15/1863 (place not stated)
* Detailed 12/31/1863 (place not stated) (Detailed as guard)
* Returned 6/1/1864 (place not stated) (Estimated day)

John C. Bates

Enlisted on 7/2/1861 at Jamestown Island, VA as a Private.

On 7/2/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. VA 14th Infantry.
He died on 8/8/1864 at Hospital, Chester Station, VA

He was listed as:
* Sick 6/29/1862 (place not stated) (Sick at camp)
* AWOL 2/21/1863 (place not stated)
* Returned 3/15/1863 (place not stated)
* Detailed 12/31/1863 (place not stated) (Detailed as guard)
* Returned 6/1/1864 (place not stated) (Estimated day)

Welcome to the forums.

Here are some fold3 cards that match @east tennessee roots information:
Page 4.jpg Page 12.jpg Page 15.jpg Page 20.jpg Page 24.jpg

Guys - thanks again for chiming in! From what I can tell this side of my family was in the 14th/Co B. I do have some info on John Bates as well as some on James Henry Daniel who was under Braxton and part of the Lynchburg Light Artillery. James (born in Campbell C0, VA) enlisted in Louisa County, VA. John enlisted in Fancy Grove, VA and was from Bedford, VA.

I am trying to find other definitive names but am stumped at this point.

My older brother has done some research on this side of the family but we have not been able to determine if there were others who also fought. I imagine there were.

On a side note - at Gettysburg I had family (Clark's - my grandfathers side) that were in the 56th and the 14th (grandmothers side of family - Bates, Daniel and Witts perhaps ) were in line behind them in Pickett's charge. Interesting to me because years later my grandparents would meet and marry and their ancestors fought together in PA.

My primary reenactment unit portrays the 14th Virginia.. hence I have tons of collected data on the regiment.. as well as many others... Are you seeking something specific to person-time-place?... to better narrow down the chase..

John Bates.. "enlisted Jamestown Island"... The regiment at that time was stationed at Jamestown Island, as was many of the early formed units being placed mostly in Eastern Va nearby as part of the Virginia State defenses... Most likely he traveled to where the regiment was... in order to join to be with others related or his hometown folks... 14th Va formed in Apr-May 1861... it formally entered Confederate Service on July 1st.. the day before John Bates enlisted there on July 2nd..

Frederick14Va - maybe I am casting too wide a net here. Initially was trying to determine if there were other Bates, Witts and Daniels in the 14th. My hunch there were but am having a hard time finding much.

I think any information at this point would be great. Pictures seem hard to come by although we do have one of John Bates.

On a side note do you have much on info on the 56th VA Infantry, Co I? The Clark side of my family was in this regiment. John S Clark, Charles J Clark & Woodson F Clark were all on the Muster Role. Not really sure what roles they played, battles in, etc but believe Charles was at Gettysburg.

I would generally suggest taking this endeavor in smaller manageable chunks one at a time.... tends to help keep the data together and from getting cross confused.... Focus in the simpler basics, then later work further from there... Co.B of the 14th was the only company of the regiment that hailed from the Bedford area... the other companies hailed from Amelia, Chesterfield, Halifax, Mecklenburg, and Fluvanna. As you have noted there are other companies out of Bedford that were attached to other regiments... Assuming your target area of family residence is Bedford County area...

14th Va....
"Bates"...
- John C Bates; is the only Bates listed on the rolls of the 14th Va...

"Daniels"....
This is a rather common surname around Central and Southside Va... A host of Daniel/Daniels present in the 14th Va but none indicated on rosters of Co.B from Bedford Co.

"Witts"...
Caleb Witt: Enlisted as Private on April 24th 1861 at Fancy Grove (Bedford Co) Va. Listed as 32 years old, and occupation as Miller. Mustered in at Richmond on April 26th. May 1861 Caleb was elected as 3rd Lieutenant, however Governor refused to sign the commission (no reasons given), hence Caleb was returned to the ranks. May 6th 1862 elected 2nd Sergeant. Listed as killed in Battle of Malvern Hill on July 1st 1862. Feb 1863; Elijah E. Cundiff, of Fancy Grove Va indicated as administrator of his estate settled his accounts with the CS auditors office of past due pay of $34.56. No other Witt/Witts listed in the muster rolls of the 14th Va.

56th Virginia... (highlighted data of possible interest)

"John S Clark".. No match in the rolls of the 56th Va.

"Charles J. Clark"...
- Enlisted July 18th 1861; as Private into Capt William Green's Company (aka: Charlotte Greys) for 12 months at Reeces
Church Va . (56th Va Co.I)
- Nov 16th 1861; Promoted to 2nd Lieutenant
- (circa May 1862) ; elected 1st Lieutenant
- (mixed dates) ; Promoted Captain
- July 12th 1863: Admitted to CS Hospital Charlottesville Va (gunshot wound, no details given)
- July 13th 1863: Transferred to CS General Hospital Farmville Va
- (1st & 2nd Qtr 1864 administrator for both Co.I and Co. D. Late 1863 and much of 1864 in garrison at Chaffins Bluff near Richmond)

"Woodson F. Clark"
- Enlisted July 18th 1861 as Private into 56th Va Co.I for 12 months at Reeces Church
- Oct 1863 Muster Roll listed as rank of 5th Sergeant
- Jan 1864 Muster Roll listed as rank of 3rd Sergeant
- Jun 1864 Muster Roll listed as rank of 1st Sergeant
- Nov 4th 1864; Elected rank of 2nd Lieutenant
- March 31st 1865: Listed on register of Prisoners of War, Captured at Battle of Hatchers Run (near Petersburg)
- April 3rd 1865: Register of POW's received at Old Capital Prison in Washington DC.
- April 9th 1865; Register of POW's sent to Johnsons Island Prison Camp
- April 11th 1865: Listed on Register of POW's at Depot near Sandusky Ohio.
- June 18th 1865; Signed Oath of Allegiance and released. Listed as 21 years old, residence as Mossingford Va, Complexion-Dark, Hair-Dark, Eyes-Blue, Height- 5Ft 9in tall.

Others in the 56th Va that might be related

- Elijah J. Clark; Enlisted as Private July 18th 1861 at Reeces Church into 56th Va Co.I.

- Elijah W. Clark; Enlisted as Private July 18th 1861 at Reeces Church; 56th Va Co.I. (May or may not be same individual as Elijah J Clark above) Oct 21st 1864' Given sick furlough to his home in Charlotte Co Va from Chimborazo Hospital, Richmond. Apparently died at home, no date given. Feb 1865 on register list of deceased soldiers for auditors account settlement.

Thanks again for sharing what you have!! Very interesting information to share and dig deeper into.

Back