140th Anavesary of Picketts Charge

rivrrat

Cadet
I just don't think we should let this day go by with out remembering the brave men on both sides who lost their lives on this day in 1863.

(Message edited by RivrRat on July 03, 2003)

I've read, where Gen. Lee, either ordered or requested Gen. Pickett, to not file a report, on the battle at Gettysburg. From, what I understand Pickett never filed, a report. Does anyone know why Lee never wanted a report filed?

Gunsmoke

There's a long-standing rumor that Pickett did prepare a report, but that Lee ordered it to be torn up because it was so critical of the Confederate high command for ordering the charge that resulted in the decimation of Pickett's division.

No copy of the report exists today, so there is no concrete evidence that it was ever prepared.

However, Pickett is known to have said afterward, referring to Lee, "That old man had my division destroyed at Gettysburg," or words to that effect. In view of that lasting bitterness, it seems fair to speculate that, if Pickett had prepared a report, it would have been every bit as critical as the rumored report was supposed to have been.

Pickett's bitterness remained long after the war and when he complained in the presence of Mosby, Mosby replied that Lee had made Pickett immortal.

Kinda witty, but that's not the type of immortality I'd want. Kinda like being asked to be Burnsides at Fredericksburg if you asked me.

Thanks for your replies, this was something that I had been wondering about.

Gunsmoke

In a book of letters, that Pickett, wrote home, he states that as he rode into battle that he was so sanguine, and sure of success!
In checking on the meaning of sanguine, my dictionary states its "having a warm, and cheerful, and hopeful nature."

Gunsmoke

In researching out some information, on Gen. Lewis Armistead C.S.A.
I came across two versions on his death. One states, that he fell mortally wounded, on the Gettysburg battlefield, while the other version, states, that the wounds he received were only flesh wounds, and shouldn't have resulted in death. It continued to state, that he may have actually died from heat stroke, due to making Picketts charge, in the heat of the day, while wearing a heavy wool uniform. The union doctors noted that he was exhausted, and was running a fever, when they checked out his wounds. The other possibility, that was given, was he may have picked up an infection, due to the unsanitary conditions, while his wounds were being treated.
I was wondering if anyone has any positive information on this?

Gunsmoke

Charlie, I'm fairly convinced he was mortally wounded shortly after he stepped over the wall. I don't think an infection had time to kill him.

In doing a little more research, I came across the information, where General Armistead was treated, at the 11th Corps hospital, by Dr. D.G. Brinton. He recorded that Armistead had been wounded in the the flesh areas, of the lower leg, and upper arm area. No damage was done to the bone, nerves, or arteries.
In talking with Lew, he found him to be suffering from over exertion, and mental anxiety, and need of sleep. Less than two days later Armistead died, surprising the doctors, who figured that death was caused by secondary causes, instead of the wounds.

Back