13th Tennessee Infantry Regiment

LittleTennessee

Private
Tollgate Cemetery.jpg

Private James F. Berryhill
August 6, 1838 - May 6, 1864
13th Tennessee Infantry, Co. H
Grave site located in Tollgate Cemetery at the corner of Germantown Parkway and Highway 64
Memphis, TN.
Tollgate Cemetery is a small, abandoned cemetery. Many Berryhill's (a prominent Memphis family) are located here. Many other Memphis residents, such as a wealthy black farmer named Washington Canada, share this final resting spot. In 1851, what is now known as Highway 64 (Old Stage Coach Road) was commissioned to be a wood plank road. It ran through Memphis (Shelby County) towards the Fayette County line. The hope was to provide a smoother journey for travelers, but at a cost. 3 tollgates were then built to collect payments for the roads use. 35 cents for wagons and buggies, 10 cents for horseback. A tollgate was built by the train tracks in what is now the town of Bartlett(Union Depot), one was placed on 'Old Stage Coach Road' itself, and another on the corner of present day Germantown Parkway, where Tollgate Cemetery is now located. In 1856, the Union Depot tollgate, in present day Bartlett, had already closed due to residents avoiding the use of the wooden road because of it's cost. Soon after, the tollgate on Old Stage Coach Road closed as well, leaving only one toll. By 1861, the project had been abandoned and the road was converted back to dirt. In honor of the families who manned this final tollgate, a cemetery was created in their honor. This cemetery is open to the public. The only fencing is what is left of the fence that surrounded the prominent white families to keep them separated from the freed slaves buried around it. James F. Berryhill is located here along with the rest of his family. His original memorial suffered normal wear and tear from the elements and sometime in the past decade, donations from a local group made it possible to provide him a better resting place.

This was the Union 13th Tn. Cavalry from here in east Tennessee. There was another designated the 13th from west Tennessee. They were at Fort Pillow. The east Tennessee unit was the regiment that that killed John Hunt Morgan at Greeneville.

Granville Colbough

Residence was not listed; 18 years old.
Enlisted on 9/24/1863 as a Private.
On 10/28/1863 he mustered into "H" Co. TN 13th Cavalry
He was discharged for disability on 6/8/1865
- Report of Adjutant General State of Tennessee

Thirteenth Cavalry
TENNESSEE
(3-YEARS)
Thirteenth Cavalry. -- Col., John K. Miller, Lieut.-Cols.,
Roderic A. Butler, William H. Ingerton, Brazilliah P. Stacy;
Majs., James W. M. Grayson, George W. Doughty, Eli N.
Underwood Joseph H. Wagner, Patrick F. Dyer, Robert H. M.
Donnelly, Christopher C. Wilcox.

This regiment was organized by Col. Miller of Carter County at
Strawberry Plains, Tenn., in Sept. 1863. It was not fully
equipped, however, until it reached Camp Nelson, Ky., in the
month of December.

It was there mounted and soon afterward ordered to Nashville,
where it remained until the spring of 1864. It was then
ordered to Gallatin, where it did post duty until Aug. 4, when
it was attached to the brigade known as the "Governor's
Guards," commanded by Gen. Gillem.

With this command it operated in East Tennessee against the
Confederate cavalry under Gens. Morgan, Vaughn and
Breckenridge; and under Lieut.Col. Ingerton acted a
conspicuous part in the killing of Morgan and the rout and
capture of his force at Park's Gap. Morgan was killed by
Andrew Campbell of Co. G.

This regiment formed a part of the command under Gens.
Stoneman and Gillem, which did such signal service in
southwestern Virginia in Dec. 1864, and was also with the
former general on his raid in the spring of 1865,
participating with credit in the engagement at Salisbury, NC.

In June, 1865, it returned to Knoxville, moved from there to
Lenoir's station, then to Sweetwater, and finally back to
Knoxville, where it was mustered out Sept. 5, 1865.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4, p. 388

************************************************************************************

LittleTennessee
Good history. I may have to make a field trip to the cemetery to check it out.

This was the Union 13th Tn. Cavalry from here in east Tennessee. There was another designated the 13th from west Tennessee. They were at Fort Pillow.

The thread began about an INFANTRY regiment. If you throw in CAVALRY, you are asking for confusion.:banghead:

The links posted by ETR relate to the official 13 Tennessee Cavalry(US). The regiment at Fort Pillow was officially the 14 Tennessee Cavalry(US) or aka Bradford's Tennessee Cavalry Battalion. However it was commonly known in the OR's as the 13 Tennessee Cavalry.
We better stick with the Infantry. :hungry:

What a sweet little graveyard! I drove by there just last week on an errand and never noticed it. If I'm out that way again I'll stop.

What a sweet little graveyard! I drove by there just last week on an errand and never noticed it. If I'm out that way again I'll stop.
It's very nice. I always park at Seth's lighting and walk around the back to get in. I spoke to the manager before and he said he had no issues with people using the lot while exploring the cemetery. It's definitely a nice area to check out.

LittleTennessee
Good history. I may have to make a field trip to the cemetery to check it out.

The thread began about an INFANTRY regiment. If you throw in CAVALRY, you are asking for confusion.:banghead:

The links posted by ETR relate to the official 13 Tennessee Cavalry(US). The regiment at Fort Pillow was officially the 14 Tennessee Cavalry(US) or aka Bradford's Tennessee Cavalry Battalion. However it was commonly known in the OR's as the 13 Tennessee Cavalry.
We better stick with the Infantry. :hungry:
You definitely should! I have a fee other pictures of the cemetery I may post later. It's definitely worth a trip.

Back